Author Topic: Annie Proulx Selling Her House  (Read 3994 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
Annie Proulx Selling Her House
« on: September 02, 2006, 04:41:54 pm »
Annie Proulx has her home up for sale in Wyoming.  Nobody in the state can probably afford it though:

CHEYENNE, Wyo. (AP) — Annie Proulx, whose stories about Wyoming include Brokeback Mountain, is selling her home in the town of Centennial. Her real estate agent says the Pulitzer Prize-winning author has bought a ranch elsewhere in the Cowboy State.

James Rinehart of Western United Realty LLC in Laramie has the listing. He said his firm specializes in ranch properties.

"Annie's home is kind of a specialty niche market. We don't normally sell homes, but this one is a unique enough one that we're happy to work on it," he said.

Rinehart said his agency sold Proulx her replacement property. "It's a ranch in southeastern Wyoming," he said, but declined to give details. "She's going to stay in Wyoming, she's just choosing to relocate right now."

The ad on Rinehart's website says the 3,500-square-foot "Aspen Country Retreat" sits on a 2-acre lot and has three bedrooms and three baths.

"This wonderful mountain home is the perfect year around home or weekender," the ad says, listing the price as $700,000. Rinehart confirmed the property is Proulx's.

Proulx's home in Centennial, about 20 miles west of Laramie, was recently advertised for sale in High Country News, a newspaper about western environmental issues.

Brokeback Mountain was originally published in The New Yorker in 1997 and then included in Proulx's collection Close Range: Wyoming Stories.

Ang Lee won a best director Oscar for his 2005 film based on the story.

You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Andrew

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Annie Proulx Selling Her House
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 04:54:59 pm »
OK, let's all chip in one grand or so and get a very special mountain retreat to share ;).  Here are the pictures from the realtor's site:

http://www.ranchbrokers.com/Smaller-Ranch-Properties/aspen_country_pictures.htm

I realize that Wyoming winters will take some of us a while to get used to...

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 05:11:07 pm »
OK, let's all chip in one grand or so and get a very special mountain retreat to share ;).  Here are the pictures from the realtor's site:
I realize that Wyoming winters will take some of us a while to get used to...

LOL!  BBMers timeshare!  Most of us would probably prefer to stay in the fall, spring or heck, for the summer...coming down early in August.  ;D

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 02:16:31 am »
OK, let's all chip in one grand or so and get a very special mountain retreat to share ;).

Just what I was thinking.  it sure is purty...

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 12:38:44 pm »
Thanks for the pictures, Andrew. What a normal looking house (and I mean that in a good way) - roll of paper towels on the counter, 4-drawer file cabinet just on the edge of the dining area. I love the arched door in the bedroom.

It looks like a hose just outside the dome. I wonder if she uses it as a greenhouse.

moremojo

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 10:24:59 am »
Oh, thank God--when I first started to read this topic, I feared Annie was leaving Wyoming altogether. I know she divides her time between that place and Newfoundland, but it would sadden me to see her "quit" the state she has helped bring so vividly to life with her inimitable and poetic words.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 02:02:38 pm »
If you go to www.annieproulx.com and click on previous essays, look for "pie-in-sky house" and read about her experence with this house. I read it a while back and seeing the pictures, she described it pretty accurately.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."