Author Topic: What movies besides Brokeback, have you seen multiple times  (Read 5989 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
What movies besides Brokeback, have you seen multiple times
« on: September 08, 2006, 06:25:08 pm »
This is a "spin off" thread from another thread, which I thought might be interesting......when it was mentioned, about how many other movies made you want to go see them over and over again.....

I have never seen a movie as many times as I have seen Brokeback, but there are a few that either I enjoyed so much, I wanted to see them again, or a few that were so close to my own personal feelings, that I needed to see over again.

Bridges of Madison County....saw that quite a few times and read the book the same amount of times. (personal feelings)

Rocky....didnt watch it when it first came out, cause I thought it was just "a boxing movie", but was so rapt in the love story in it, and "feel good" theme, that I enjoyed watching it several times.

Sound of Music......a classic.

Grease.....another classic, and I loved the music.

Tombstone....one of the best western movies, with great actors, Kurt Russell, and Val Kilmer (outstanding)

The Shawshank Redemption....everyones favourite movie

Unfaithful....Richard Gere, Olivier Martinez, Diane Lane.....hot, sexy, and some personal similarities.

Officer and a Gentleman....Richard Gere, because the way he kisses in this movie, well, lets just say, it was hot.

Ok, now lets hear your favourites......
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
Re: What movies besides Brokeback, have you seen multiple times
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 06:29:27 pm »
It's and olde and likel;y now much remembered and it has been many years since I have seen it but "Dove" from about 1974 staring Debora Raffin (most recently played the alcholic aunt on '7th heaven) and Joseph Bottoms.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

moremojo

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 06:42:23 pm »
I have a few I have returned to multiple times.

The two really big movies of my early adolescence, the ones over which I obsessed to a degree that only now Brokeback Mountain has superceded, were The Rocky Horror Picture Show and A Clockwork Orange. I still think on these movies often, and have not tired of analyzing and discussing them, but, while I still retain some nostalgic affection for Rocky Horror (while now conceding it is a deeply flawed film), I now find A Clockwork Orange problematic and dubious. I also feel that my former obsessions for these movies were more than a little puerile (I like to think that I have engaged with BBM in a more mature manner ::)!). Barry Lyndon has replaced A Clockwork Orange as my favorite Stanley Kubrick film.

The one preeminent example of this category of a movie that I never tire of watching and rewatching would have to be Vincente Minnelli's 1944 classic Meet Me in St. Louis. I have seen this wonderful film countless times on television, and I treasure my one exposure to it on the big screen as one of my top movie-going experiences. The film is a milestone in the articulation of the theme of nostalgia within the wider American culture, and I think the movie has a lot to say about how and why nostalgia affects us. Succinctly, I see it more as a film about nostalgia rather than a nostalgic film. Furthermore, I consider this my favorite movie musical, though I wouldn't necessarily claim it as the best. The movie is like a little magic box I can open at any time, finding the pleasures within as fresh and life-affirming as the first time I encountered them.

These can serve as the most salient examples for me of movies that I have revisited multiple times.

Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 08:57:36 pm by moremojo »

Offline Amber

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 06:48:36 pm »
If I'm having a terrible day, or am really bored I'll put in the same cycle of movies.  "The American President", "The Wedding Singer", "50 First Dates" are examples of these.  Just cute movies that I can repeat all of the lines too and that will make me smile.

Then there are the category of movies that are my all time favorites like:  "Brokeback Mountain", "Apollo 13", "Forest Gump" and "Walk the Line" among others.  "The Libertine" has recently joined the list.  These are movies I watch when I really want to enjoy a well acted, superb movie.  They may not make me smile at the end, but I feel as though I've watched quality and that always makes me feel good as well.
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 07:06:00 pm »
To Kill a Mockingbird

Shawshank Redemption

The Birdcage

Planes Trains and Automobiles

Your Mine and Ours (the original)

Ruthless People

Gone With The Wind

Miss Congeniality

Murder in the First

Mississippi Burning

« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 07:10:35 pm by JakeTwist »
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 07:32:18 pm »
Too many to mention.  If I enjoy a movie, I usually go see it again.  If I REALLY like a movie, I'll go see it multiple times.  If I ADORE a movie - somebody stop me!!!!!

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 09:42:21 pm »
The Wizard of Oz -- every year during my childhood. I recently got the big DVD of it, though, and haven't watched it yet.

Spirited Away -- I've only watched it twice so far, but I think it will be worth repeated viewings in the future.

The Lord of the Rings movies (only the theatrical releases, please)

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Spinal Tap

I've seen the original three Star Wars movies several times, because I'm the right age to have seen them when they first came out, and I am a geek. But really, they aren't very good.

And E.T. was the first movie I saw more than once.

Looking at my list... you know, I'm not particularly fond of reality. ;D Brokeback Mountain is really a departure for me, in that sense.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 09:59:13 pm »
These are "in the theatres" counts...

BBM = 44 times

Prarie Home Companion = 4 times

Moulin Rouge! = 19 times

eXistenZ = 5 times  (countless times on DVD)

Lost Highway = 5 times

Contact = 8 times

The Fifth Element = 12 times

and going waaaay back

Less Than Zero = 10 times (estimate)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 10:03:28 pm by sfericsf »

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 10:01:21 pm »
Not counting favorite movies that I've re-watched on TV, these are some I saw multiple times in the theater or bought on tape or DVD so I could watch at home:

A Hard Day's Night

Barry Lyndon

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

All 3 Lord of the Rings movies

Master and Commander

Everything Is Illuminated

Brokeback Mountain
Ich bin ein Brokie...

moremojo

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 10:08:21 pm »