Author Topic: Things that aren't directly connected to BBM and yet are somehow Brokieish  (Read 247708 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Things that aren't directly connected to BBM and yet are somehow Brokieish
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2009, 06:53:31 am »

So I guess I could probably extend a bit of honorary Brokie status to Aaron Eckhart, who starred in "Smoking" and in TDK. I don't think I can grant it to anybody in "Squid," though.

Took this as a fun challenge, so here's my best:

1. Owen Kline is the son of Kevin Kline - who was in The Ice Storm.
2. Jeff Daniels was in The Lookout with JGL, also Pleasantville with Toby Maguire.
3. Laura Linney was in Dave with Kevin Kline, and The Laramie Project, and Kinsey with Peter Sarsgaard.
4. Anna Paquin is from Canada!

And you said "Squid" doesn't have honorary Brokie status!  Pffft.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2009, 11:02:25 am »

Took this as a fun challenge, so here's my best:

1. Owen Kline is the son of Kevin Kline - who was in The Ice Storm.
2. Jeff Daniels was in The Lookout with JGL, also Pleasantville with Toby Maguire.
3. Laura Linney was in Dave with Kevin Kline, and The Laramie Project, and Kinsey with Peter Sarsgaard.
4. Anna Paquin is from Canada!

And you said "Squid" doesn't have honorary Brokie status!  Pffft.

Well, plus, Jesse Eisenberg of "Squid" appeared with Kristen Stewart in Adventureland, which also starred Ryan Reynolds, who is married to Scarlett Johansson (as I learned just yesterday in the doctor's office's copy of WebMD, of all places! Where had I been?), who appeared in The Prestige with Christian Bale, who was in TDK with Heath.

Silly me! "Squid" is practically a BBM sequel.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2009, 11:09:08 am »
Thank you for Smoking was one of the previews showing during the Brokeback theater run, so I saw that trailer a LOT. I also saw the movie later, but it didn't make much of an impression for me.

The first new movie I enjoyed after BBM was Slumdog Millionnaire. Yes, it was that long.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2009, 11:31:07 am »
Thank you for Smoking was one of the previews showing during the Brokeback theater run, so I saw that trailer a LOT. I also saw the movie later, but it didn't make much of an impression for me.

The first new movie I enjoyed after BBM was Slumdog Millionnaire. Yes, it was that long.

Well, to clarify, I didn't mean "Smoking" was life-changing for me, or even in my top 20 movies -- or top 50. Just mildly enjoyable. But I recall sitting through "Squid" mentally critiquing it almost line by line. It was also a movie involving familial conflict and marital strife, but compared to BBM everything in it seemed so obvious and unsubtle and telegraphed.

I recall having to quit reading The Kite Runner at about that same time for the same reason. So I guess TKR has honorary anti-BBM status, too.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2009, 11:41:49 am »
Thank you for Smoking was one of the previews showing during the Brokeback theater run, so I saw that trailer a LOT.

Somehow this thought made me smile.

Oh, and it reminds me of Focus Features, another thing that has become Brokie-ish. Every time I see the Focus logo, I expect to see BBM :).

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2009, 12:17:07 pm »
Which reminds me. Another thing that has honorary Brokie status, or maybe the aforementioned honorary anti-Brokie status, is Crash, and everything related to it. Whenever I see the logo for Lions Gate Entertainment (such as last night, when watching a Mad Men Season 2 episode), I think of Crash. Which makes me think of BBM.

Speaking of which, Mad Men kind of reminds me of BBM, in that it's subtle and untelegraphed and filled with metaphors, and is set in 1963. But I don't think there's any good reason to give it full honorary Brokie status.

Oh wait! What was I thinking? MM's Elizabeth Moss appeared in The West Wing with Martin Sheen, who starred in The Departed, which featured Jack Nicholson, who once played the Joker and had dinner with Heath in a fictional memoir, as well as Mark Wahlberg, who supposedly was approached by Ang Lee about a role in BBM, and also starred with Kate Mara in Shooter. So there you go.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2009, 12:40:07 pm »
Which reminds me. Another thing that has honorary Brokie status, or maybe the aforementioned honorary anti-Brokie status, is Crash, and everything related to it. Whenever I see the logo for Lions Gate Entertainment (such as last night, when watching a Mad Men Season 2 episode), I think of Crash. Which makes me think of BBM.

Speaking of which, Mad Men kind of reminds me of BBM, in that it's subtle and untelegraphed and filled with metaphors, and is set in 1963. But I don't think there's any good reason to give it full honorary Brokie status.

Oh wait! What was I thinking? MM's Elizabeth Moss appeared in The West Wing with Martin Sheen, who starred in The Departed, which featured Jack Nicholson, who once played the Joker and had dinner with Heath in a fictional memoir, as well as Mark Wahlberg, who supposedly was approached by Ang Lee about a role in BBM, and also starred with Kate Mara in Shooter. So there you go.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
That's great K!  LOL, I guess our 6 degrees of separation from BBM skills have been well sharpened over the years and through BetterMost activities.

And, yep, it's certainly true about Crash... and for me, particularly the actors in Crash... that remind me of BBM.  Also, other actors who won the Oscar in place of our BBM cast members.  For instance...Philip Seymour Hoffman and George Clooney.

Actually, the whole topic of the Oscars and award shows - forever changed by the Brokie experience.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2009, 03:40:09 pm »
I guess then, you haft to wait til, Brokeback mountain 2 comes...   :)  I shall send a note to Ang Lee let him know, that you are waiting to go to the cinema again.  ;D

LOL

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2009, 06:36:05 pm »
water
air
fire
earth
mountains
trees