Author Topic: Things that aren't directly connected to BBM and yet are somehow Brokieish  (Read 247822 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Things that aren't directly connected to BBM and yet are somehow Brokieish
« Reply #90 on: December 12, 2009, 10:07:38 pm »
This is a great thread.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #91 on: December 13, 2009, 12:53:41 am »
Today, my son and I went to pick up a friend of his in an unfamiliar part of the city -- a wealthy neighborhood featuring a small lake surrounded by huge, stately old houses. As we drove, my son and I pointed out which of these houses we particularly liked or disliked. My son's favorite was this especially spectacular contemporary house with lots of glass. After we picked up his friend, my son asked his friend if he knew who lived in that house. I was kind of surprised that my son even asked that question, because why would the kid know that?

But he did.

"Yeah, it's the producer of Brokeback Mountain," the kid said.

It must belong to William Pohlad, president of River Road Entertainment (and son of the late owner of the Twins baseball team).

So from now on, that part of my city will always be Brokieish to me.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #92 on: December 13, 2009, 01:12:42 am »
Today, my son and I went to pick up a friend of his in an unfamiliar part of the city -- a wealthy neighborhood featuring a small lake surrounded by huge, stately old houses. As we drove, my son and I pointed out which of these houses we particularly liked or disliked. My son's favorite was this especially spectacular contemporary house with lots of glass. After we picked up his friend, my son asked his friend if he knew who lived in that house. I was kind of surprised that my son even asked that question, because why would the kid know that?

But he did.

It must belong to William Pohlad, president of River Road Entertainment (and son of the late owner of the Twins baseball team).

Cool story K!

OK, here's mine for tonight (I know that to some this may seem controversial).... James Dean.  Several months ago, I bought the complete box set of James Dean movies (consisting of all 3 movies Dean made) only because of BBM.  I was going through my DVDs earlier tonight and stumbled across the set... and thought of this thread.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #93 on: December 13, 2009, 04:10:59 am »
Have I already said The New Yorker?  Yes, the short story was originally published there, so of course that would make it supremely Brokieish, of course, but for me, even more because I now think of jmmgallagher and Front-Ranger and Jeff Wrangler when I think about the New Yorker.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #94 on: December 13, 2009, 04:12:37 am »

But he did.

That's a good story.  I Googled him a bit.

He's the guy between Ang and James Schamus

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #95 on: December 13, 2009, 11:45:26 am »

That's a good story.  I Googled him a bit.

He's the guy between Ang and James Schamus

Hmm, he's kind of hot. OK, new career plan: Get job at River Road Entertainment, meet William Pohlad, move into fancy house on lake.

Or wait, maybe not ... There'd be all those fancy red-carpet functions, and my picture would show up in People magazine as a "worst dressed" ... Never mind.

But River Road Entertainment sounds interesting. Here are the movies it has done:

Brokeback Mountain
I’m Going to Tell You A Secret
A Prairie Home Companion
Fur
Into the Wild
C7
Che

I've only seen one other (Into the Wild -- which was good), and haven't heard of a couple of these, but those I am familiar with sound interesting and even risk-taking.

I now think of jmmgallagher and Front-Ranger and Jeff Wrangler when I think about the New Yorker.

Think of me, too! I've been subscribing since the early '80s, and have about 127 of them piled up around the house as we speak.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #96 on: December 13, 2009, 12:29:21 pm »

But he did.

Wow!!!

That's some connection!!!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #97 on: December 13, 2009, 07:25:20 pm »
My grandma's name was Alma. So years on years before Annie Proulx was even born, my grandma was busy being Brokieish.

And to connect the generations, I have consumed many Beers in my time.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #98 on: December 13, 2009, 07:39:13 pm »
Seth Rogen
Jonah Hill
Knocked Up

I searched for a YouTube clip to illustrate why the last two are Brokieish, but I can't find it! Anybody have a link?

Do you mean this?

Thanks for posting it, but no, that's not the one I had in mind.

I was thinking of the one with Jonah Hill and Katherine Heigl, where JH's character has just finished watching BBM and criticizes it in some unexpected ways.

Found it, finally! Unfortunately, it's no longer on YouTube -- apparently a copyright issue -- so I can't post it, but you can see it here:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=15879073

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #99 on: December 17, 2009, 01:45:31 pm »
I gotta ask - I have also come to associate Red Velvet Cake with BBM. But I have no idea why! ;D
Still, when I got a chance to try it in LA this spring, I jumped to the occassion!

Please, somebody tell me why :)

And now I'm always stocking up on Swedish Fish!
"chewing gum and duct tape"