Author Topic: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread (check first post)  (Read 698559 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread (check first post)
« Reply #880 on: March 07, 2013, 04:11:31 pm »
I strongly encourage reading Taubes' book. It's enlightening, and much more of a page-turner than you'd think. (Easier still, do a search for his stories in the NYT, if you haven't already read them.)

And know that it's a bitch for about a week, then becomes much easier than you'd think. The vigor you feel is a big motivator. Seriously, I all of a sudden felt like I'd gotten younger.

Now that's an incentive!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #881 on: March 07, 2013, 04:37:11 pm »
I have noticed on occasion when I go to the gym after work that I can go in hungry and come out not. Also, I can go in tired and come out not. Go figure.  :-\

Actually Jeff, those are normal reactions.

Work up an appetite?

It is commonly assumed that you can 'work up an appetite' with a vigorous workout.  But it turns out that the theory may not be completely accurate - at least immediately following exercise.  A brisk exercise session may actually reduce the appetite rather than increase it, according to a report.  Researchers at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah, claim that 45 minutes of moderate-to-vigorous exercise in the morning actually reduces a person’s motivation for food.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2202550/Work-appetite-Brisk-exercise-actually-REDUCES-hunger-pangs-scientists-claim.html

Exercise As a Cure for Fatigue and To Boost Energy Levels

When fatigue can no longer be blamed on winter hibernation, the cure may be as simple as to exercise, even if it's the last thing you feel like doing.

Researchers at the University of Georgia found that sedentary, otherwise healthy adults who engaged in as little as 20 minutes of low-to-moderate aerobic exercise, three days a week for six consecutive weeks, reported feeling less fatigued and more energized.

http://www.acefitness.org/article/2742/

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #882 on: March 07, 2013, 05:12:32 pm »
Actually Jeff, those are normal reactions.

Why, bless your heart, I know that. I just meant that the reaction appears (is?) counterintuitive.  :)  :-*
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 08:15:16 pm by Jeff Wrangler »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #883 on: March 07, 2013, 07:11:04 pm »
An average day might look like this:

Breakfast -- over-easy eggs and greens, the latter either raw and tossed in olive oil and maybe lemon juice or sauteed, maybe mixed into scrambled eggs along with some grated cheese. Or scrambled eggs with cheese and salsa. After about 40 years I have stopped cooking scrambled eggs with Pam, BTW, and now them in butter. Handful of raspberries.

Lunch: Salad topped with any combination available of meat, nuts, cheese, grilled veggies, avocado, dried cranberries, etc. Or leftovers from the previous night's dinner. All depends on where I am. If I go to Chipotle or this gyros shop near my office, I get approximately the same thing they'd put in a burrito or gyro, except on lettuce. Blackberries for dessert.

Snack: Nuts of any kind, even the really fatty macadamia. Cheese, which also can be as fatty as I like. Chopped coconut (you can get it pre-chopped at my grocery). Kombucha (fermented foods and drinks: a whole nother discussion!).

Dinner: Meat prepared however (I no longer make any big effort to avoid red or make sure all the fat is scrupulously trimmed or anything like that), vegetable often roasted, and salad. Liberal use of olive oil in all.

I find that a lot of dishes that require starches can be reinvented with vegetables substituted. For example, I recently made lasagna for myself and my sons, divided in two pans, identical except in theirs I used lasagna noodles and in mine I used sliced eggplant. Delish! I have been known to put spaghetti sauce on spaghetti squash. On Taco Nights, I put the exact things I would put in a taco -- seasoned meat, grated cheese, salsa, chopped onions -- on some good lettuce instead. When I make enchiladas, I use low-carb tortillas, which probably aren't that great raw in wraps but are just fine cooked in enchilada sauce with chicken and vegetables and melted full-fat cheese. I cook a pork roast in the slow-cooker, shred it up and serve it with chipotle cole slaw. My sons eat it in a sandwich; I just put the pork atop the cole slaw.

I haven't done this yet, but creamed veggie soup would be good, made of course with full-fat cream, maybe topped with roasted nuts and full-fat sour cream or Greek yogurt or grated cheese.

My sweet tooth hasn't entirely disappeared. To satiate it, I turn to berries, kombucha, chopped coconut, sweeter cheeses. For example, I make this weird but delicious treat: I soak chia and flax seeds in almond milk until the chia seeds thicken the mixture. I stir in full-fat ricotta and mascarpone and blend until they're smooth and thick like pudding. I top with blueberries. Yum!

In summer, once the farmers markets start carrying produce, it should become even easier. I'll grill up a bunch of meat and vegetables on the weekend, then use them all week in salads, enchiladas, etc.

The one flaw with this diet -- and it's a serious one -- is that it's a lot harder to eat in a socially/environmentally responsible way. For example, you're eating a lot of animal products (which the diet all but requires -- it would be hard if not impossible to be a low-carb vegan) so if you aren't careful you're supporting factory farming. It's better to buy meat from smaller animal/environmentally friendly farms -- and some low-carbers will only eat grass-fed beef -- but if you live a busy life, chances are that you won't be able to make sure of that every time. Also, of course, devoting larger swatches of land to raising livestock adds to pollution, global warming, species endangerment, global hunger and who knows what else.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #884 on: March 07, 2013, 08:26:11 pm »
Thanks, Katharine.

Does this plan for eating include fish?

No joke, you are watching your cholesterol and triglycerides?

(I never did stop frying eggs in butter. ...  ::) )
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #885 on: March 09, 2013, 09:31:17 pm »
I must laugh at myself. I really am my own worst enemy.

All this talk of eliminationg carbs, and what has my weekend been like so far? One carb after another!  :laugh:

I was doing my weekly grocery shopping after work yesterday, and on an impulse, in the prepared meal section I picked up a pasta dish to try for my supper last night. (I'm sure there was nothing wrong with it, but I just really didn't care for it, so I won't buy that particular dish again.)

Then today I was at farmers' market, and at one of the stands where I usually shop, they had Pennsylvania Dutch chicken pot pie (not a pie, but a stew of chicken and large egg noodles). I hadn't had any for a while, so I bought about a pint of it for supper this evening.

So here I am, one carb after another!  :laugh:

Well, one thing that has come over me this winter, as I begin to creep up on my 55th birthday, is a feeling that I'm tired of obsessing over diet, weight, and also exercise. I'm just tired of fussing over all this stuff. I'll try to keep my weight from rising too far and too fast, but I'm just tired of worrying about this stuff. It's all just been a matter of vanity, anyway.  :-\

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #886 on: March 10, 2013, 01:38:31 am »
Well, one thing that has come over me this winter, as I begin to creep up on my 55th birthday, is a feeling that I'm tired of obsessing over diet, weight, and also exercise. I'm just tired of fussing over all this stuff. I'll try to keep my weight from rising too far and too fast, but I'm just tired of worrying about this stuff. It's all just been a matter of vanity, anyway.  :-\

Jeff, from what I've seen of you, it's not something you should be worrying a lot about, anyway.  :) :-*

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #887 on: March 10, 2013, 03:14:55 am »
Jeff, from what I've seen of you, it's not something you should be worrying a lot about, anyway.  :) :-*

Well, thank you, that's kind of you to say, but remember that you haven't seen me in over five years.  ;)  The weight and the waistline have steadily increased with the passing years, and losing has grown proportionally more difficult. These days I'm tipping my bathroom scale at just under 165 lbs., which, by government standards for a man of my height, is definitely overweight, though, thankfully, at least not morbidly obese.

Since I'm short (for a man), bald, hairy, and nearsighted, it was formerly a matter of pride that at least I wasn't overweight; that was part of the "vanity" I mentioned in my previous post.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #888 on: March 11, 2013, 12:40:32 pm »
I'm on a 40 day "Daniel Fast" with my church and so far I've lost 15 pounds.  The Daniel Fast says we should do as Daniel did when he was in the palace of the King (I can't remember how to spell the King's name) eat only fruits, veggies and drink nothing but water.  Daniel didn't want his people to eat the fatty foods perpared by the King's cooks.  The fast should only last 21 days, but my church wants to go for twice that long!  I've modified it to include nuts, and I haven't been strict about following it.  I will say giving up certain foods and sugar has caused me to feel so much better and I am losing.  I think I'll incorporate meatless days from now on, even when the fast ends on Easter Sunday.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #889 on: March 11, 2013, 02:28:58 pm »
Congrats on your success, darlin'!!!   ;D

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!