Author Topic: single for life  (Read 16308 times)

Offline Peter John Shields

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • On a river bank.
    • My web page.
single for life
« on: August 16, 2010, 09:56:49 am »
Hello Brokies,

I love the romance of Brokeback Mountain, however I feel deep inside that I am a family of one and so have decided to be single for life (I am 39).
I was wondering if anyone else on this forum can relate?
If so how is life going for you?
My decision has been a very concious one and came after a good deal of self reflection (and also a couple of bad relationships!)
I hope people don't feel  I have given up on love, I have been in love before and believe in it, however I seem to be better suited to the single life and look forward to the years ahead.

Well better get my cat fed and open my soup for one (haha)  :laugh:,

Thanks to all and thanks for reading,

Peter
Cheerio,
PJ

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: single for life
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 02:21:11 pm »
I am reminded of what Mona Ramsay said in Tales of the City when faced with similar prospects "I think what I really need is five good friends."

There is a lot of pressure in society to be with someone. We often measure or worth against weather or not we are involved with someone. Especially in a group of couples.

I think maybe you can leave the door open, if you don't force your attention on it, who knows what may come your way.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 02:26:22 pm »
If you're happy then thats all that matters stripey!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 02:47:12 pm »
What Kelda said.  If you're happy, what does it matter?

It took me about two months to realize that all my close friends have moved out of my city and are no longer people I can just meet up with for drinks or movie or to hang out.

So, except for family, I'm all alone in town as well.  And as you can tell, this was such a problem for me that I didn't notice for two months.  ;D

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 03:07:14 pm »
Hello Stripey,

I agree with what Truman said, regarding the pressure from society to pair up.

I'm single now.  I will admit that I don't want to stay single, however, I don't feel like I'm less of a person because I am single.  As Kelda said, as long are you are happy, that is all that matters.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 03:13:48 pm »
Hello Brokies,

I love the romance of Brokeback Mountain, however I feel deep inside that I am a family of one and so have decided to be single for life (I am 39).
I was wondering if anyone else on this forum can relate?
If so how is life going for you?
My decision has been a very concious one and came after a good deal of self reflection (and also a couple of bad relationships!)
I hope people don't feel  I have given up on love, I have been in love before and believe in it, however I seem to be better suited to the single life and look forward to the years ahead.

Well better get my cat fed and open my soup for one (haha)  :laugh:,

Thanks to all and thanks for reading,

Peter
your cat likes your soup? I have an older long haired siamese that loves cream of tomato.

I was in the same relationship from my teenage years up to my early 40's. He passed away, I mourned, and met someone. I have been in my second relationship now for nearly 8 years.  It just suits me, although the older I get, the more peace and quiet I seem to need!  :)

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 03:21:14 pm »
I´m single and happy about that. I have never been able to see myself in a relationship and I sure ain´t the marrying kind. Don´t want no kids either.

I have grown too used to be able to spend my freetime as I wish

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 03:48:24 pm »
I´m single and happy about that. I have never been able to see myself in a relationship and I sure ain´t the marrying kind. Don´t want no kids either.

I have grown too used to be able to spend my freetime as I wish

Heya,
I very much relate to pretty much everything you say here.  I think it would be very, very difficult for me to adjust to a relationship at this point since I'm so used to being on my own.  And, I absolutely love being independent and having the freedom to do what I want with my time.

I very much like the *idea* of having a long-term girlfriend.  But, the honest reality of living with someone is actually a bit hard for me to imagine.  The idea of marriage does not appeal to me (obviously I believe in gay marriage, but it's not something I'd want within my own relationship with a woman), and I'm very ambivalent about the idea of kids too.  If I had a partner who wanted kids, I wouldn't say no... but it's not something I feel too strongly about personally.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 04:13:05 pm »
I love my single friends.  I love that they are unencumbered and more spontaneous.  I love that there homes are often far more a reflection of them than the melded homes are.

Offline Peter John Shields

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • On a river bank.
    • My web page.
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 09:04:36 pm »
Hello all,

Thank you so much for replying-I was blown away by all your responses and comments. 
I could relate to what everyone was saying, especially the idea of not seeing oneself in a relationship; and also if your happy that's all that counts. 
It's really easy though to start seeing yourself as not completely whole, so for me I almost have to recommit to myself every now and then (if that makes sense).

Thanks all
Cheerio,
PJ