Author Topic: Bookends!  (Read 17539 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Bookends!
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2007, 01:53:08 pm »
Scene 147, the last scene in which we see Jack (where he was attacked and killed with a tire iron, but possibly in Ennis's imagination) aside from the dozy embrace flashback, is a bookend to what scene??

??? Do you mean aside from the Earl flashback? Or am I as clueless as I feel?

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2007, 05:04:25 am »
The great bookend: The opening scene of the film, Ennis in a truck moving across the High Plains at dawn, to the left. The closing scene of the story of Jack and Ennis: Ennis driving across the High Plains at Dusk, to the right.

I call it the closing scene because the Film's Epilogue of Ennis in the trailor is --IMO--the  SS's Prologue, details changed, emphasis shifted, but emotionally intact. As devastating as the Prologue, in a different way.
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2007, 02:03:58 am »
I call it the closing scene because the Film's Epilogue of Ennis in the trailor is --IMO--the  SS's Prologue, details changed, emphasis shifted, but emotionally intact. As devastating as the Prologue, in a different way.

Good point, bbjack! I'd never thought of it that way, but it makes sense.

:)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2007, 01:04:57 pm »
Scene 147, the last scene in which we see Jack (where he was attacked and killed with a tire iron, but possibly in Ennis's imagination) aside from the dozy embrace flashback, is a bookend to what scene??

I worded this confusingly. Let's try it again. Scene 147, where Jack is attacked and killed, is a bookend to what scene?

And bbj, I agree that the epilogue is the prologue!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2007, 02:37:09 pm »
I worded this confusingly. Let's try it again. Scene 147, where Jack is attacked and killed, is a bookend to what scene?

And bbj, I agree that the epilogue is the prologue!!

Ok, I'll try again, too  :).

Two scenes come to my mind: first the Earl flashback. Although we don't see how Earl is attacked, I think it's the most obvious bookend.

The second might seem a bit strange at first: Jack and Lureen in the bar. She comes to him from behind, she hits on him (although not literally), he goes down and lies on his back (in the car), he's defeated  - and his fate is sealed  :'(.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2007, 03:43:18 pm »
Ok, I'll try again, too  :).

Two scenes come to my mind: first the Earl flashback. Although we don't see how Earl is attacked, I think it's the most obvious bookend.

The second might seem a bit strange at first: Jack and Lureen in the bar. She comes to him from behind, she hits on him (although not literally), he goes down and lies on his back (in the car), he's defeated  - and his fate is sealed  :'(.

Very clever suggestions Bud!  I especially like your Lureen suggestion.  Very subtle.

I think a third option is the dead sheep following TS1. 
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2007, 05:04:11 am »
I always thought the dead sheep was a bookend for earl lying in the gully. Even splayed the same way.
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2007, 11:10:32 am »
I think my dad er bud, is right! Earl and the sheep are bookends, Ennis is looking at them both times.

Those are good guesses everyone, but according to the annotated script, the Jack death scene is a bookend to...the first scene when he first appears. Both times he's by the railroad tracks.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2007, 01:14:20 pm »
Those are good guesses everyone, but according to the annotated script, the Jack death scene is a bookend to...the first scene when he first appears. Both times he's by the railroad tracks.

Wait a minute! Are you saying the annotated script specifically mentions scenes being bookends?!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2007, 06:37:43 pm »
Yes, but I have no idea who made the annotations!