Author Topic: "...Tresspassers...Will Be Shot, Survivors..." signs - how old?  (Read 14385 times)

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
Re: "...Tresspassers...Will Be Shot, Survivors..." signs - how old?
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2006, 09:54:27 pm »
Someone said (was it Mel??) they saw sheepskins in Aguirre's trailer?

It's the head of a mountain goat. It's... hmmm. I think it's behind Aguirre's desk. I haven't seen the movie in over a month, so I can't picture what's around it.

Someday I'm going to start a thread for pictures of odd things that we notice.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 10:36:25 pm by nakymaton »
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2006, 10:20:52 pm »
It's the head of a mountain goat. It's... hmmm. I think it's behind Aguirre's desk. I haven't seen the movie in over a month, so I can't picture what's around it.

Someday I'm going to start a thread for pictures of odd things that we notice. Mine will be all about the rocks.

Okay ... I've got to check out the goat!

BTW - you've got to start that thread! Like .... the game that is sitting on the floor at Jack and Lureen's house during the Thanksgiving fiasco. It looks like "Clue" to me!  :)
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline Rutella

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2006, 04:24:07 pm »
BTW - you've got to start that thread! Like .... the game that is sitting on the floor at Jack and Lureen's house during the Thanksgiving fiasco. It looks like "Clue" to me!  :)

Would you believe I just had a quick look!! And I think you're right! That is if 'Clue' is the same game as 'Cluedo' in the UK? The one with Dr Mustard with the lead pipe in the library etc? (or redneck with the tire iron on the road  :'()

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2006, 09:47:51 am »
Okay ... I've got to check out the goat!

I see the goat every time, but I never saw a game lying on the floor in said scene  :).
Just checked the screencaps at stripedwall. Yes, it is Cluedo (the one Rutella described).

Did you see the head of the goat meanwhile? It is not at the wall behind Aguirre, but at the wall to his right, when he sits at the table. So entering the trailer and facing the desk, the goat is at the left wall, the one with the door in it.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2006, 01:23:22 pm »
Look at what is for sale at Michaels...

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2006, 01:49:39 pm »
Shuggy...did you take the photo of the fishing hut?  Except for that horrible yellow mailbox, it's a great pic.  Regarding the discussion on the age of that sign...it has been around for many, many years, and I'm going back to at least 1950.  I remember seeing them in No. Carolina as a wee tot, when I accompained grandpa to fetch the cows home from the pasture.  Hillbillies (and they aren't just from Arkansas!) had them all over the hills, primarily to keep "revenurers" from finding the stills....for those of you who do not know, a still is a contraption used to make illegal alcohol, called "white lightin'" and other names I can't recall at the moment.  Stills were hidden deep in the woods, or underneath the house, particularily the henhouse, and usually only one or two members of the family knew it's whereabouts to protect it's whereabouts.  I still have cousins (and in the south, almost everyone in "the hills" is a cousin to everyone else) there, and I've had a taste of the liquor.  But I digress.......

The license plates don't bother me at all as they change all the time.  In California, there are newer cars using ancient plates, and with all the designs supporting various groups/organizations, one could spend a lifetime trying to figure it out.  I'm sure Lee knew the license plates would not be a significant point of interest (I guess he never figured some of our posters would figure it out sooner or later).

The vintage of the trucks is not really a noticeable point, except to those who are into that kind of trivia.  I remember reading a post somewere by one who really got over-excited because the truck Ennis gets out of at the beginning of the movie is, apparently, newer than the time of the scene, 1963.  But if you know nothing about truck year models, I don't see where it becomes an issue.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2006, 03:00:50 pm »
Look at what is for sale at Michaels...

LOL, so did you buy one?
 :laugh:
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2006, 03:57:19 pm »
LOL, so did you buy one?
 :laugh:

Thought about it.  On second thought I should go back and get it....  :D

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2010, 04:47:39 am »
The first time I saw the movie, I noticed the sign and found it freakin' hilarious. But I was the only person in the theatre who laughed, because it was not translated/read out loud to the audience. Got me some strange looks  ::)
Reminds me of a friend who went to a Bergman film ("Smiles of a Summer Night" perhaps?) in which an old man explains about love to a young man, but the subtitles were only a summary, and one Swede in the audience was laughing his head off.

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2010, 05:11:48 am »
Shuggy...did you take the photo of the fishing hut?  Except for that horrible yellow mailbox, it's a great pic. 
Thank you. Easy enough to fix the mailbox: