Author Topic: Messages From The Heartland  (Read 2367045 times)

injest

Re: Messages From The Heartland
« Reply #1920 on: September 19, 2007, 08:14:09 am »
I'm here David  :D! I'm not a regular reader of any of the blogs, I just drop by every now and then.
And I absolutely loved your marriage and Bush roll  ;D.

It's a shame, isn't it?. But not surprising, considering the general human rights situation worldwide  >:(.

It doesn't surprise me. Israel and Turkey are orientating themselves very much towards the Western world. Israel anyway, and Turkey increasingly during the last 20 years. They want to become a member of the EU, so they have to be a modern state (measured by Western standards) to reach their goal. And Iraq - well, your beloved president ( ;)) and his troops make sure that Iraq is not much more than an American base in the Middle East these days.

If they banned it, what does this mean? Does it truly mean there will be no way for same sex marriage in future? Or will this law (if it becomes one) be just as reversible as any other?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

yep, there is not a law on the books that can't be changed. That is the GOOD thing about our system..

Hi David!! LOOK! I got in and posted!

Don't know WHAT happened last night but I couldn't even open the window in here to post anything  >:( >:(

(I blame Bill Gates!!)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #1921 on: September 19, 2007, 03:35:19 pm »

If they banned it, what does this mean? Does it truly mean there will be no way for same sex marriage in future? Or will this law (if it becomes one) be just as reversible as any other?

Hi Chrissi!!  :D

Thanks for stopping in! I hope you will continue to post messages in my blog!

Yes, Jess is correct. Any law or amendment can be reversed. But if I'm not mistaken, reversing an amendment is quite a challenge, especially one like this because the citizens will have voted on it. It would have to be proven unconstitutional (which it would be) and this would involve getting members of the Indiana statehouse to ADMIT it is unconstitutional. Not very likely to happen; at least not right now. Hopefully such an amendment will not be passed here, but according to recent polls it looks like it WILL pass with flying colors. The people of Indiana are very much against homosexuality. They'd probably love to see all American gay people moved to a small island in the middle of the ocean and a nuclear bomb dropped on it (I've actually heard people around here say this!  >:( ).  So let's just hope such an amendment is not passed, because if it is, it will probably take years, if not decades to reverse it.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

yep, there is not a law on the books that can't be changed. That is the GOOD thing about our system..

Hi David!! LOOK! I got in and posted!

Don't know WHAT happened last night but I couldn't even open the window in here to post anything  >:( >:(

(I blame Bill Gates!!)

Don't blame Bill Gates Jess. I told the bouncers at the front door you were cool and to go ahead and let you in here!  ;)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #1922 on: September 21, 2007, 12:40:18 am »
Did you all hear about that poor woman who got tasered FOUR times by the cops in Ohio? They tasered her, and then they tasered her again. Once she was in the police car they tasered her again, and then for some reason they pulled her out of the police car and tasered her again. And she was HANDCUFFED the entire time! The fourth time she got tasered, she fell down and hit her head and she was knocked unconscious and they had to take her away in an ambulance.

I've been hearing about it on the news, and they have even showed video clips of it, but I can't seem to find anything about it on any of the websites.

This tasering shit is getting ridiculous!  >:(

Offline pettifogger

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Just passin through
« Reply #1923 on: September 21, 2007, 05:33:42 am »
I heard about that.  At first everyone was saying she was hysterical after a fight broke out in the club she was in with  some friends.  Then I saw the footage.  This is no kid, this a 38 year old mother.  She was hystrical because she was being repeatedly tasered!  It's obscene.  The cop responsible is on administrative leave with FULL PAY while they investigate. 

One of the local station websites claims to have an update, such as it is...you can see/read it here: http://www.wytv.com/news/local/9905007.html
You and I are travelers just passing through this earth

injest

« Reply #1924 on: September 21, 2007, 07:52:40 am »
I don't think anyone that is already handcuffed should be tazered! that just seems like torture to me.. >:(

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #1925 on: September 21, 2007, 09:42:40 am »
Yes, Jess is correct. Any law or amendment can be reversed. But if I'm not mistaken, reversing an amendment is quite a challenge, especially one like this because the citizens will have voted on it.
 So let's just hope such an amendment is not passed, because if it is, it will probably take years, if not decades to reverse it.

That's what I meant. Guess I didn't make myself very clear  ::) I had something like that in my mind, remembering the debate last year(?), when Geroge W. called for constitutional amendment to ban same sex marriage.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #1926 on: September 21, 2007, 09:44:53 am »
I don't think anyone that is already handcuffed should be tazered! that just seems like torture to me.. >:(

Take out the "seems" and I completely agree. This IS torture  >:(.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #1927 on: September 21, 2007, 04:32:25 pm »
Thanks for posting that link, Pettifogger.

I found this clip of the incident on youtube. It is about 2 minutes long.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMpEr-MOSyk[/youtube]

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #1928 on: September 21, 2007, 09:53:18 pm »
That's what I meant. Guess I didn't make myself very clear  ::) I had something like that in my mind, remembering the debate last year(?), when Geroge W. called for constitutional amendment to ban same sex marriage.

Hi Chrissi! :D

Yes, what George W. Bush wanted to do (and STILL wants to do) is ratify the US Constitution, banning same sex marriages nationwide. Here in Indiana, Hoosiers want to ratify the state constitution. But the US Constitution always trumps State Constitutions. And this gets into a little thing called "states rights", something which as been a sticking point in this country since its founding. In fact, it was the tampering and meddling with states rights by the Federal Government that triggered the American Civil War when the US finally banned slavery in this country. Some Southern states said "HELL NO" to it, seceded and formed their own country, the Confederate States of America. Americans don't like it when the Federal Government tampers with states rights.

From what I've noticed, even Americans wishing a ban on same sex marriage are against a Federal ban on it, simply because they don't like the idea of the Federal Government telling their particular state what to do. It tramples on their state's rights. They would rather handle it on a state level, and this is why so many current politicians won't even go near the topic of a Federal ban on same sex marriage. To say they support it probably means they won't get elected, and to my knowledge, only two or three current 2008 candidates have admitted they support a Federal ban.

And so here we are today. You saw the map of the US up above. There is a little bit of everything and anything in this country. We have the full gamut, from legalized same sex marriage (Massachusetts), to legal civil unions, to state bans on same sex marriage and civil unions... or both! And then, we have state like Indiana that haven't decided WHAT they want to do, but most of us know what will end up happening here in Hoosierland/Jesusland. Anyone care to take a guess?  :laugh:

>:(  >:(

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1929 on: September 21, 2007, 09:57:54 pm »

It seems to me as if people are being customarily tazared, and or killed or shot, for what would normally be
considered minor infractions or irritants to police officers.  The police are getting out of hand.  We had a naked man having a psychotic episode ontop of his own car shot and killed.  And a young man who was threatening to commit suicide gunned down for failure to give up the knife he was planning on killing himself with...His mother had called the police to help her calm him down.  They shot him in front of her eyes...
       I am starting to get very angry.  The police investigative groups are only taking away the officers job while they "check out all the evidence"  Then they are returned to service...Its getting to be a police state, with the police having no retribution, except in rare instances.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 10:03:27 pm by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind