Author Topic: Free contraception for women - and the church opposes it yet again  (Read 7473 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
"There is clear and incontrovertible evidence that family planning saves lives and improves health," said obstetrician-gynecologist Dr. David Grimes, an international family planning expert who teaches medicine at the University of North Carolina. "Contraception rivals immunization in dollars saved for every dollar invested. Spacing out children allows for optimal pregnancies and optimal child rearing. Contraception is a prototype of preventive medicine."
But U.S. Catholic bishops say pregnancy is a healthy condition, not an illness. In comments filed with the Department of Health and Human Services, the bishops say they oppose any requirement to cover contraceptives or sterilization as preventive care.
"We don't consider it to be health care, but a lifestyle choice," said John Haas, president of the National Catholic Bioethics Center, a Philadelphia think tank whose work reflects church teachings. "We think there are other ways to avoid having children than by ingesting chemicals paid for by health insurance."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101031/ap_on_he_me/us_birth_control

Thomasray

Re: Free contraception for women - and the church opposes it yet again
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 02:55:48 am »
really nice article . . . it seems a bit funny to me . . . :D
dunno what does other thinks . . . !!!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Free contraception for women - and the church opposes it yet again
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 09:16:58 pm »
really nice article . . . it seems a bit funny to me . . . :D
dunno what does other thinks . . . !!!

Hello Thomasray, and welcome!

What do you think is funny about the article?