Author Topic: Watchin Brokeback on Logo  (Read 6218 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Watchin Brokeback on Logo
« on: November 26, 2010, 12:06:59 pm »
I saw most of Brokeback Mountain on Logo last night. It was the first time I had seen it in a venue other than the theater or on DVD (or in once case VHS tape in Alberta). It was kind of unnerving.

I missed the beginning, tuned in when Jack and Ennis was moving their camp and allowed myself to be drown into the familiar story. And then came the first night in the tent. Jack unbuckled his belt and they cut away to the exterior shot and bam it was the next morning. It didn't feel right.

Plus there was the commercials, and in particular the ridiculously annoying Logo commercials every 15 minutes to remind me how far we have come from these two young men scared to death to even admit their attraction. I feel so blessed to live in a world were I can aspire to be on the A-List, not.  :laugh:

But still, in spite of these distractions, these tatters to this beautiful story, still, a bit of that old magic was still there. Even if it was only 5 years ago there was this sense of a simpler time, a memory of what it felt like when I watched the movie back then, and it felt like I was slipping on ice when a "fuck" or a "damn" was missing. I am healed of this pain now, I have no need of trying to disguise my scar.

It all gradually slips away, but we are luckier than most generations. I hope someone saw it last night for the first time, and felt like I did, and decides to wear the scar too.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: Watchin Brokeback on Logo
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 12:24:51 pm »
I saw most of Brokeback Mountain on Logo last night. It was the first time I had seen it in a venue other than the theater or on DVD (or in once case VHS tape in Alberta). It was kind of unnerving.

I missed the beginning, tuned in when Jack and Ennis was moving their camp and allowed myself to be drown into the familiar story. And then came the first night in the tent. Jack unbuckled his belt and they cut away to the exterior shot and bam it was the next morning. It didn't feel right.

Plus there was the commercials, and in particular the ridiculously annoying Logo commercials every 15 minutes to remind me how far we have come from these two young men scared to death to even admit their attraction. I feel so blessed to live in a world were I can aspire to be on the A-List, not.  :laugh:

But still, in spite of these distractions, these tatters to this beautiful story, still, a bit of that old magic was still there. Even if it was only 5 years ago there was this sense of a simpler time, a memory of what it felt like when I watched the movie back then, and it felt like I was slipping on ice when a "fuck" or a "damn" was missing. I am healed of this pain now, I have no need of trying to disguise my scar.

It all gradually slips away, but we are luckier than most generations. I hope someone saw it last night for the first time, and felt like I did, and decides to wear the scar too.

Thanks for your thoughts, Truman.  I applaud you for getting through it despite the ads (were there pop-ups during the movie itself, too?) and the bowdlerisms.  It seems crazy that even on Logo they cut out part of the tent scene.  This continues to be such a puritanical country.  :(

But of course the movie's greatness rises above all those extraneous things.  I'm glad it's out there scarring folks, for better rather than worse.  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 01:16:50 pm »
Well, you know what I say, do something every week that scars you!  :)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 03:02:14 pm »
Wonderful passage, Truman. :*

R's brother Paul carved the turkey with an electric knife yesterday. I had to bite my tongue to keep from telling them all about a story they should know. The 'should' is on me of course. I have no idea what they know, just that they haven't gone through what we have, somehow. They've gone through their own things. It's not as if it's explicable, anyway.  But there had to be an electric knife.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 04:12:50 pm »
I happned to turn on Logo today and there it was. Of course I got taken away into the land of Brokeback once again. This time I did notice how "comfortable" Ennis (Heath) & Jack (Jake) were in their roles like real lovers. The roles were not forced. I particulary paid attention the the last scene with Junior and Ennis where Junior says Kurt really loves her and I think Ennis really came to terms with what he lost "Jack, I swear......." and I myself inserted "If I had it all to do over again." Lesson learned from Junior

Steve
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 10:15:27 pm »
Whoa!  I was just watching Daria cartoon reruns on Logo and wrapping presents (only marginally paying attention to the TV actually) and all of a sudden after the last episode of Daria ended I was concentrating on wrapping (actually just expecting another cartoon to start) and then all of a sudden I heard the telltale sounds associated with the Focus Features/ River Road intro to BBM start up! It was so jarring and surprising!  Chills actually went up and down my spine... it was so totally surprising and such a total change in tone from what I'd been half-watching before.

I had no idea that this was on the TV schedule for tonight.

Normally I gear myself up quite considerably before watching BBM.  Now it's still on in the background (the "too early in the summer to be sick of beans" bridge scene)... Hmmmm, I was so totally not expecting to watch BBM tonight.  But, now it's really hard to turn it off.  I actually don't want to experience it with ads and the threat of important scenes being censored.

Such a strange, sneek attack BBM situation!
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 12:27:19 am »
LOL, look out for the BBM monster!  ;D

I happened to channel surf to it the other day and started watching, but I had to stop.  The logo in the lower right corner is so annoying, they cut the bit of Ennis having sex with Alma, and of course there were commercials.  Don't mess with my movie, dudes!  >:(
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 01:22:10 am »
I have seen it for or 5 times on Logo now, when I run accrost it I cant help but watch!
Steve
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 02:40:28 am »

I actually think it's so great and amazing to have a movie like BBM on TV.  On a general cultural phenomenon level, I think it's awesome.  But, yeah, as a hardcore Brokie I needed to turn it off during one of the commercials.  I need to watch BBM with the lights off, candles on, whiskey in hand... with no edited scenes.

I think I'll make a point of doing so before I head home for Christmas next week.

LOL, I can't tell you how jarring that experience was tonight tho!
 :laugh:
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 04:37:54 am »

Such a strange, sneek attack BBM situation!
:laugh: