Author Topic: Merry Christmas 2010!  (Read 46833 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Merry Christmas 2010!
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2010, 03:41:32 pm »
Happy Christmas Everyone!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwHyuraau4Q[/youtube]

Kelda, that was...different! But became quite good about halfway through!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2010, 03:48:11 pm »
Aussie Christmas
It is already Christmas day here so Merry Christmas everyone.
I now live in New Zealand but have returned to have Christmas with my sister and brother-in-law, the only relatives I possess. There are cousins but never see them now.
Some education about Christmas in Australia
First some terms: Esky called Chilly Bin in NZ,
Swaggy
and Rusty Holden Ute.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH0vMpp3ma4&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Now enjoy and let me know if any other translations are needed (Oh, boot = trunk)

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2010, 03:53:17 pm »
Jussi Björling, the world famous Swedish tenor, sings O Helga natt ( Oh, holy night)

Björling was an amazing talent. Did y'all hear that high B??? Jeeeez!!!
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2010, 04:02:18 pm »
Merry Christmas Bettermost!!

I hope everyone has a wonderful, safe and very happy Christmas!!

Merry Christmas, David, and to everyone here!  I'm on my lunch break.  I'm one of the few people working today, and I'm hoping the big bosses In Sacto will let us off early. 

I don't have any real plans; we were anxious and already opened our presents: lots of electronic gadgets to go around.  I'll just do another round of shopping, go home, eat the prime rib my mom is preparing and watch Scrooge.

Happy Holidays, my Brokie pals!   :-*

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2010, 04:12:31 pm »
Jussi Björling, the world famous Swedish tenor, sings O Helga natt ( Oh, holy night)

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofKk_Etapq4[/youtube]

I was wondering about the high B but then I noticed the song was just halfway done. There was no missing the high B near the end...seemed like he had no problem nailing it either! Wow, the images of Christmas in Sweden were so interesting, and near the end the Northern Lights and images of the Swedish landscape were fantastic!!

Brian, your presentation about Christmas in Australia was very informative. Wow, we all have eclectic tastes and talents, don't we!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2010, 04:16:43 pm »

Glad you like it, Milo. I felt pretty sure you'd know Jussi Björling.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2010, 04:24:12 pm »
I was wondering about the high B but then I noticed the song was just halfway done. There was no missing the high B near the end...seemed like he had no problem nailing it either! Wow, the images of Christmas in Sweden were so interesting, and near the end the Northern Lights and images of the Swedish landscape were fantastic!!

Brian, your presentation about Christmas in Australia was very informative. Wow, we all have eclectic tastes and talents, don't we!!

Glad you like it Lee! I find the images very well chosen too, very solemn and full of feeling.
I've never seen the Northern Light myself, I don't live up north, but I sure would like to see it one day!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2010, 04:47:10 pm »
Glad you like it, Milo. I felt pretty sure you'd know Jussi Björling.

Oh yes. Thanks to great singers like Jussi Björling, Nicolai Gedda, and Birgit Nilsson, opera singers and fans (at least here in the US) have created the mythical idea of the "Swedish School" of singing. All 3 had big, bright voices, and in perfect stereotyping form, people started assume that there was something about the way Swedish singers are taught that makes that happen. In reality, these singers were using a standard bel canto technique, which originated in Italy. It is coincidental that they had vocal size and color in common.

I was lucky enough to perform Berlioz's La damnation de Faust with Gedda in the title role. Frederica von Stade sang Marguerite. I was singing with the Tanglewood Festival Chorus and the Boston Symphony Orchestra with Seiji Ozawa conducting. AND...it was my senior year in high school.

Have I mentioned that being a teenager was a blast for me??
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2010, 05:15:39 pm »

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofKk_Etapq4[/youtube]

Brought tears to my eyes when he finally hit that note.  Beautiful, just beautiful and the images are hauntingly gorgeous.  Thanks so much for posting Sason.

P.S. excuse my ignorance, but what is the significance of the curly-horned goats?

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2010, 05:18:55 pm »
Kelda, that was...different! But became quite good about halfway through!

This is my favourite Christmas song.. its a total classic over in the UK as a Christmas tune!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/