Author Topic: What Is The Most Disgusting Thing You've Ever Ate?  (Read 117119 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: What Is The Most Disgusting Thing You've Ever Ate?
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2011, 04:19:30 pm »
In reference to the various Scandinavian dishes mentioned on here, I remember hearing about something called Lutefisk (I think that was the name of it) and it is very popular in Minnesota and Wisconsin. They prepare the fish with lye. I can't remember the reason for doing it, but the fish is soaked in lye and then thoroughly washed in water to get the lye back out. But the fish retains a lye flavor which didn't sound very good to me. Are any of our Scandinavian friends familiar with Lutefisk? I heard about it on the Travel Channel.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2011, 06:43:40 pm »
That sounds interesting. I had no idea Italians ate them.

I think chicken livers (fegato di pollo) are fairly common in Italy.  I've had them in Tuscany, commonly as a spread on toasty bread.  Also, there's a northern Italian restaurant in Boston called Davio's that serves crispy chicken livers with a port/balsamic glaze that are so good, they could convert a liver hater. 

I just saw that Davio's has a Philadelphia branch!  South 17th Street.  Highly recommended. 

BTW, Milo, after reading your ambitious list of exotica, I'm wondering how your cholesterol is!

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2011, 06:49:38 pm »
Also, there's a northern Italian restaurant in Boston called Davio's that serves crispy chicken livers with a port/balsamic glaze that are so good, they could convert a liver hater.

Oh, they sound delicious.   I am so there to try them!  Thanks!  :)
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2011, 06:57:59 pm »
I think chicken livers (fegato di pollo) are fairly common in Italy.  I've had them in Tuscany, commonly as a spread on toasty bread.  Also, there's a northern Italian restaurant in Boston called Davio's that serves crispy chicken livers with a port/balsamic glaze that are so good, they could convert a liver hater. 

I just saw that Davio's has a Philadelphia branch!  South 17th Street.  Highly recommended. 

BTW, Milo, after reading your ambitious list of exotica, I'm wondering how your cholesterol is!

Yes, I know about Davio's but I have not been there yet.

My cholesterol is pretty good. I don't eat that stuff every day. Many of the items on the list fall into the "tried it once" category.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2011, 06:58:36 pm »
Oh, they sound delicious.   I am so there to try them!  Thanks!  :)

You're very welcome.  I used to think chicken livers were disgusting when I was a kid.  My mother used to cook them (to death  :P) and the smell was overwhelming.  She'd wrap them in bacon and eat them all by herself! 

Now, I love them, especially after trying Davio's' version.

www.davios.com

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2011, 06:59:50 pm »
In reference to the various Scandinavian dishes mentioned on here, I remember hearing about something called Lutefisk (I think that was the name of it) and it is very popular in Minnesota and Wisconsin. They prepare the fish with lye. I can't remember the reason for doing it, but the fish is soaked in lye and then thoroughly washed in water to get the lye back out. But the fish retains a lye flavor which didn't sound very good to me. Are any of our Scandinavian friends familiar with Lutefisk? I heard about it on the Travel Channel.

My mom loves Lutfisk. I can't stand it, it tastes soap. It's fish called Långa that is dried first. When you plan to serve it -christmas is the normal time to eat it - you put it in lye for some time, after that ypu bpol it and serve it with boiled potatoes, bechamel sauce with pimento and green peas.
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2011, 07:02:47 pm »
Yes, I know about Davio's but I have not been there yet.

My cholesterol is pretty good. I don't eat that stuff every day. Many of the items on the list fall into the "tried it once" category.

That make sense.  Yeah, whereas I could eat oysters pretty frequently, I probably have sweetbreads only once or twice a year. 

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2011, 07:04:55 pm »
The most disgusting thing I've ever had is surströmming

From Wiki:
Surströmming (pronounced [sʉ̌ːʂtrømːiŋ], "soured (Baltic) herring"), known colloquially as Scandinavian rotten fish, is a northern Swedish dish consisting of fermented Baltic herring. Surströmming  is sold in cans, which often bulge during shipping and storage, due to the continued fermentation. When opened, the contents release a strong and sometimes overwhelming odour, which explains why the dish is often eaten outdoors. A Japanese study has shown that the smell of a newly opened can of surströmming is the most putrid smell of food in the world, beating similar fermented fish dishes such as the Korean Hongeohoe or Japanese Kusaya.[1]

It's an tradition to surströmming in northern Sweden and when I worked there for a period of time, I was invited to a surströmming feast. I force fed myself a couple of bites, just to be polite and all.

the first pic shows surströmming in the can and the second pic how it's usually served: on bread with onion and potato.
Surströmming is lovely!! Wonderful!! And the smell is rich and lovely too.......maybe sunday dinner, I have a can.....
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2012, 02:26:23 pm »
Surströmming is lovely!! Wonderful!! And the smell is rich and lovely too.......maybe sunday dinner, I have a can.....

So, how was it, Berit?!

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2012, 02:43:12 pm »

Blood Pudding!
Yes, the main ingredient is blood.

To be honest, it's actually pretty tasty, lol!

Omg, I L<3VE BOUDIN NOIR!!!!
(especially with mashed poatoes and apples.)
Yum!

Is anyone gagging yet?   ;D

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"