Author Topic: Zero at the Bone by MadLori  (Read 220569 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: Zero at the Bone by MadLori
« Reply #160 on: October 16, 2007, 01:35:11 pm »
Yeehaw!!

Yet another update.

Here's chapter 22

http://community.livejournal.com/humaninterest/88920.html

Yeehaw is right!  Thanks, Amanda.  She is really smokin'!

I haven't read Chapter 22 yet - but I just noticed she added some author's notes about it:

http://community.livejournal.com/humaninterest/89182.html

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #161 on: October 16, 2007, 09:00:26 pm »
It's such a good chapter!  I hope you enjoy it.  :)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #162 on: October 17, 2007, 03:48:33 pm »
It's such a good chapter!  I hope you enjoy it.  :)

SPOILERS

Thanks, Amanda.  I absolutely enjoyed it -  a great chapter.  I'm so proud of Jack.  But now I'm even more afraid. 

I saw that Lori posted some more announcements:

http://community.livejournal.com/humaninterest/

Can't wait for more!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #163 on: October 18, 2007, 10:47:30 pm »

And with lightning speed... here's chapter 23!

http://community.livejournal.com/humaninterest/89690.html

Yeehaw!
8)

Once again, this update is just unbelievably good!  :D  Yikes!

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

mvansand76

« Reply #164 on: October 19, 2007, 06:39:37 am »
And with lightning speed... here's chapter 23!

http://community.livejournal.com/humaninterest/89690.html

Yeehaw!
8)

Once again, this update is just unbelievably good!  :D  Yikes!

Oh I agree! It's just nerve-wracking to the 100th degree. And what was up with the ending of the chapter, hope she will stay on a roll with this story, because I can't wait to find out if Jack will call D Ennis now...

:D

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #165 on: October 19, 2007, 08:10:31 am »

This was a particularly high anxiety chapter..Lots of no dont do thats, and holy craps...Then leaving the open ending duh!!!   I am hoping she posts again soon.. I love it when she gets on these rolls.

Beautiful mind

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #166 on: October 19, 2007, 12:58:19 pm »

..Lots of no dont do thats, and holy craps...

Ditto to what everyone has said - and especially this, Janice.  That's what I was saying as I read - and a lot more.  LOL! 
Sure hope the next chapter comes soon - and that it picks up precisely where this one leaves off!

Marie

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #167 on: October 19, 2007, 06:50:24 pm »
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely, totally love Zero, love Jack and D, and am waiting most eagerly for it to continue - and for the sequel.  :) Still I though this last chapter was high on "huh?" moments, events that I couldn't quite make sense of.

So.... perhaps anyone can make sense of them to me? Here they are:

If the "evil lawyer" frequently made use of the "what colour are my eyes" ploy, and everyone knew it, why hadn't the DA and the people prepping Jack warned him of that beforehand?

Now that Jack's testimony is on record, why didn't the hitman just kill Jack in the bar, or outside the bar? Why the intricate plot to abduct him somewhere first - risking the hitman's life up close and personal, and involving hidden helpers, and syringes and whatnot - much that could go wrong? I thought at this stage the whole point for the brothers would be to kill Jack to show other potential witnesses what happens to anyone who don't keep mum. And if so - they'd want the death as public as possible, wouldn't they? Shooting Jack in the bar would be perfect to get that point across. And if Jack could have a note pressed into his hand, he sure could be killed. (Eeep!!  :o )

Did the Dominguez (sp?) brothers *know* about Jack and D? I mean, of course they know D was supposed to kill Jack and didn't do it, but protected him instead. But how did they know or guess that Jack would go all out to put his life on the line for D?  The mysterious "others" who are after D and still wants him to kill Jack, know much more about J&D's relationship, sure enough  - but... I though they were an entirely separate entity from the Brothers.  Or....are the two "bad guy groups" communicating?

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #168 on: October 19, 2007, 07:41:00 pm »

There are a few plot holes..like why did Churchill take him to the f***ing bar at all..Why did Jack decide to
go out back,...Why didnt D just stay in the room with him as before..?  But once that was set into motion the
rest of it makes sense...They want D, not Jack..Jack is merely a means to the end.  If they kill Jack D will still
be out of pocket...so they needed to capture jack in order for their plan to complete...

Beautiful mind

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #169 on: October 19, 2007, 10:06:52 pm »
Quote from: Mikaela link=topic=5212.msg271900#msg271900 date=
If the "evil lawyer" frequently made use of the "what colour are my eyes" ploy, and everyone knew it, why hadn't the DA and the people prepping Jack warned him of that beforehand?

Mikaela, that is an excellent point - and Jack's lack of preparation regarding his cross-examination  is something that I raised in my comments on Lori's lj.  It makes me suspicious of Brad, the prosecutor.  As a prosecutor myself (not a big-shot fed, just a lowly county assistant prosecutor), I know that the direct testimony of your witness is the easier part - you can control that.  You know exactly what you're going to ask and your prep your own witness accordingly.  It's the cross that holds all the minefields, and a good prosecutor will always role play with his witness,  actually go through a mock cross-examination to try to anticipate where the defense will trip him up and prepare him for that.  When we heard Jack thinking that he didn't know what to expect from the defense lawyer, I thought "uh oh."  You can't know exactly, of course, but he should have had at least some idea of what to expect.  And then when Brad mentioned at the bar that the defense guy used that eye color thing before -  that rang all kinds of warning bells for me. 

Now that Jack's testimony is on record, why didn't the hitman just kill Jack in the bar, or outside the bar? Why the intricate plot to abduct him somewhere first - risking the hitman's life up close and personal, and involving hidden helpers, and syringes and whatnot - much that could go wrong? I thought at this stage the whole point for the brothers would be to kill Jack to show other potential witnesses what happens to anyone who don't keep mum. And if so - they'd want the death as public as possible, wouldn't they? Shooting Jack in the bar would be perfect to get that point across. And if Jack could have a note pressed into his hand, he sure could be killed. (Eeep!!  :o )
I believe Janice is right - they wanted D, not Jack - they know Jack has a personal relationship with D because of Jack's own testimony that he was involved with someone while in hiding (it had to have been D - they were on the run together) so they were counting on the fact that Jack would risk his life for D.  I did understand why Jack went outside, I thought his internal dialogue and the way he argued with himself was great, but  I don't think we know yet whether the two separate bad guy groups are communicating - we don't even know yet exactly why the second group wants D. 

And, I have to agree with Janice - Churchill agreeing to let Jack go to that bar was a bonehead move, letting him out of his sight at the bar was another bonehead move, you just can't take chances like that, no matter how sorry you feel for the witness ..... but, it did bring D and Jack together!  I am so anxious for the next chapter!

Marie