Author Topic: Zero at the Bone by MadLori  (Read 220570 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Zero at the Bone by MadLori
« Reply #190 on: November 08, 2007, 10:16:49 am »
I'm dying to hear what people think about this recent update!

**Spoilers and questions**

Do you really think that there's no realistic chance for D and Jack to be together beyond this one weekend?  I still keep wondering why D couldn't go into witness protection with Jack.  I liked Jack's suggestion to Megen about actually just staying with D rather than going into witness protection....  But, I think she's right that it would put too much stress on D to feel like he was constantly responsible for protecting Jack as well as figuring out his own problems.  But, still... wouldn't D entering the same type of protective program as Jack help him in the same way that it would help Jack? 

And, this chapter really brought up all sorts of interesting, scary questions about who they can really trust.  I'm very curious about Megen's role in knowing about the initial contract for D to kill Jack.  I got really curious when she was remembering that scenario and thinking that she would have been ready to kill D if he looked like he was going to go through with the initial assassination of Jack.

I'm constantly amazed and impressed by how complex this plot is.
:)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #191 on: November 08, 2007, 11:56:42 am »
I'm dying to hear what people think about this recent update!

**Spoilers and questions**

Do you really think that there's no realistic chance for D and Jack to be together beyond this one weekend?  I still keep wondering why D couldn't go into witness protection with Jack.  I liked Jack's suggestion to Megen about actually just staying with D rather than going into witness protection....  But, I think she's right that it would put too much stress on D to feel like he was constantly responsible for protecting Jack as well as figuring out his own problems.  But, still... wouldn't D entering the same type of protective program as Jack help him in the same way that it would help Jack? 

And, this chapter really brought up all sorts of interesting, scary questions about who they can really trust.  I'm very curious about Megen's role in knowing about the initial contract for D to kill Jack.  I got really curious when she was remembering that scenario and thinking that she would have been ready to kill D if he looked like he was going to go through with the initial assassination of Jack.

I'm constantly amazed and impressed by how complex this plot is.
:)

SPOILERS

Hi Amanda,

Yes, this chapter left me kind of awestruck - not only by the intelligent complexity of the plot(s), but by the emotional intensity.  Damn. 

I think there are lots of reasons D can't go into the witness protection program with Jack....the main one being - he's not a witness!   :)  He doesn't qualify for the program and the "protection" it provides.  Now, I guess he could, in theory, hide with Jack while he's in the witness protection program, but there's all kinds of problems with that, too, as D pointed out.  Yeah, he'd be stressed trying to protect Jack all the time, but he'd actually be putting Jack in more danger by being with him.  D has a really, really big bad target on his back right now - and until that goes away (I have no idea how), he won't  risk Jack's life by being with him.  This is all aside from the fact that Jack will always be a target, too.  Gah!  So.....D's mission does seem rather daunting, doesn't it?  But you know what, Petros and all the other bad guys seem untouchable right now.  But they're not.  They're not infallible - if they were, Jack and D wouldn't have made it this far. There's not a person alive without weaknesses, you just have to find them.  So, yeah, I do think there's a realistic chance that things can work out.

But it's pretty clear that things are gonna get really, really ugly.  And whatever resolution takes place won't come without some kind of sacrifice, somewhere along the way. 

Okay, I'm ready for the next chapter.   ;)

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #192 on: November 08, 2007, 01:27:15 pm »
Spoilers***

Well, I think Churchill (and by extension witness protection programs, etc.) are already breaking the rules when it comes to D.  They're already extending protection to him by letting him stay in the guarded-room with Jack.  So, yes, he's not a witness... but the authorities seem to be treating him as a figure worthy of protection even now.  And, yes, both D and Jack are targeted and are both in danger... which is why the witness protection program would seem like at least an OK option for both.  I would guess that Jack would prefer to live with D even if D is a target than to live without him in relative (or in increased) safety.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 11:15:57 pm by atz75 »
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #193 on: November 08, 2007, 02:22:45 pm »
Well, I think Churchill (and by extension witness protection programs, etc.) are already breaking the rules when it comes to D.  They're already extending protection to him by letting him stay in the guarded-room with Jack.  So, yes, he's not a witness... but the authorities seem to be treating him as a figure worthy of protection even now.  And, yes, both D and Jack are targeted and are both in danger... which is why the witness protection program would seem like at least an OK option for both.  I would guess that Jack would prefer to live with D even if D is a target than to live without him in relative (or in increased) safety.

SPOILERS

Yep, I see what you're saying - it's a complex situation to be sure.  But.....even though Churchill personally has regard for Ennis and Jack's relationship - I don't think that extends beyond him.   As to the authorities treating D as a figure worthy of protection ...no, I don't get that impression.  I don't think letting D stay in Jack's room means they are extending protection to him.   In fact, no one has the right to deny Jack the right to have D or anyone else of his choosing in his room (as long as they were deemed safe).  He's not under arrest - he could walk right out the door of the hotel room if he chose to (which, of course, he wouldn't!)  Beyond whatever personal feelings Churchill has, I don't see Witsec as having any interest in protecting D.   In fact, they can't wait to get Jack into hiding  - and having D along only complicates matters for them.  Of course, once Jack started a new life, there would be nothing to stop D from joining him (if he could find him, which I don't doubt that D could  :) ).   But Witsec certainly isn't going to be telling D where Jack is and D knows that.   

Yes, I certainly agree that right now Jack would prefer to live with D under any conditions!  But, it was my impression from this conversation that he realizes the ultimate futility of that arrangement and agreed with D:

D was nearly struck dumb by that sentiment, but he didn’t let it show. “That’s las night talkin, and all this drama,” he said. “That ain’t fer real. Come a time you’d be sorry, and you’d regret it, and I ain’t gonna be enough ta make all that go away. I don’t want that fer you, y’hear me?” Jack said nothing, eyes downcast. “I ain’t gonna let you lose what you worked for. It’s part a who you are and I ain’t lettin no part a you get destroyed.” He hesitated. “You gotta trust me, Jack.”

At that, Jack lifted his eyes and met D’s. “I trust you.”

I don't have any ideas at all how this can be resolved!  D seemed to have some sort of a plan before, but now with this Josey complication - I don't know....there's just so much against them.  But I keep holding on to the idea that there will be a sequel!   :)

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline MadLori

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Remember - Jack Nasty loves you.
« Reply #194 on: November 08, 2007, 03:01:04 pm »

I don't have any ideas at all how this can be resolved!  D seemed to have some sort of a plan before, but now with this Josey complication - I don't know....there's just so much against them.  But I keep holding on to the idea that there will be a sequel!   :)

Marie

There will be.  :-)
Jack:  I could kick your ass any day of the week.
Ennis:  Then the weeks where you live must have a No Fuckin' Way Day.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #195 on: November 08, 2007, 07:26:07 pm »

SPOILERS

But it's pretty clear that things are gonna get really, really ugly.  And whatever resolution takes place won't come without some kind of sacrifice, somewhere along the way. 

Okay, I'm ready for the next chapter.   ;)

You and me both, to be sure! I see over on the DC forum that Lori is saying only 3 more chapters and an epilogue to come, (before the much-expected sequel) -  which has me guessing that things will seriously heat up in the next chapter - I'm betting that our "friend" Petros will make himself known again in the worst way. Eeeep!

Wow, this is such a complex and exciting fic.

Concerning why Ennis D can't go into the witness program, I've chalked it up to red tape and left it at that. Such systems can be incredibly formalistic and bureaucratic, sometimes. (I remember Amy commented after the chapter of "Shades" where the planned-for trial against Hinestroza fell through, that the subsequent treatment of Jack there was entirely realistic & true to the way of things in real life: One moment Shades Jack was in Witness protection, next he was virtually out in the streets on his butt and on his own, though certainly no less in danger from the mob than before. But he was no witness anymore, so no protection forthcoming. Good luck to you, Mr. Twist - and there's the door.)  ::)

Which doesn't hide the additional fact that it ups the tension and drama to new heights to have Jack and D part ways in the barrage of alll these dangers and threats, so it certainly serves the fic development to keep Witsec closed to D.

Then again he had some further reasons in the previous chapter why he couldn't go into Witsec - something to do with his military record and keeping his identity and the fact that he is alive under wraps.... But I guess that is not at all relevant anymore, given this chapter's surprising and scary development. D's cover is blown big time anyway.

I do think it makes sense though for D to want Jack to go into as safe a situation as possible, and for them to keep apart - two separate hidden and moving targets more difficult to track down than one, and more "freedom" for D to solve the current mess somehow without focusing his energy on protecting Jack. And it makes sense that Jack realizes that too - D needs all his resources on handling this situation without any Jack "distractions". Still you gotta admire the two of them. They sure do love each other to go through with this. Personal sacrifices all around.

As for how D will resolve the whole thing.... I was thinking earlier that he might do some kind of "deal with the devil", and perhaps that *is* still in the cards as far as Jack's situation is concerned.... but as for Josey, I'd say her chances of survival in this are pretty slim. She seems so determined to carry the feud to the grave, it's probably down to either her or D....  :o

Well, can you tell I'm totally hooked? I love ZatB to pieces, and speculate about the next events quite a bit.

Lori, you totally rock! :)

Offline MadLori

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Remember - Jack Nasty loves you.
« Reply #196 on: November 09, 2007, 12:15:30 am »
Thanks, everyone, for the great comments and thoughts...it's always fascinating to read what people predict for upcoming events, or how they're working through possible scenarios in their head.  Some ideas put forth are very close to what's about to happen, some aren't.

I just hope that the actual unfolding of the story's events live up to your expectations!

Thanks for reading! 
Jack:  I could kick your ass any day of the week.
Ennis:  Then the weeks where you live must have a No Fuckin' Way Day.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #197 on: November 09, 2007, 01:07:40 pm »
There will be.  :-)

I just hope that the actual unfolding of the story's events live up to your expectations!

Thanks, Lori!   :)  I don't doubt that for a second! 

Then again he had some further reasons in the previous chapter why he couldn't go into Witsec - something to do with his military record and keeping his identity and the fact that he is alive under wraps.... But I guess that is not at all relevant anymore, given this chapter's surprising and scary development. D's cover is blown big time anyway.

I do think it makes sense though for D to want Jack to go into as safe a situation as possible, and for them to keep apart - two separate hidden and moving targets more difficult to track down than one, and more "freedom" for D to solve the current mess somehow without focusing his energy on protecting Jack. And it makes sense that Jack realizes that too - D needs all his resources on handling this situation without any Jack "distractions". Still you gotta admire the two of them. They sure do love each other to go through with this. Personal sacrifices all around.

Great thoughts, Mikaela!  I can't remember specifically - but isn't D kind of officially a non-entity to the government?  I had the impression that he kind of doesn't even really "exist" as far as they are concerned?  But, anyways,  the very strong impression I'm getting is that it is very important to D that he can become "Ennis" again.  That he can stop hiding behind false identities, strip all that away once and for all, and become a man "worthy" of Jack and Jack's unconditional love.  He doesn't believe he is there yet - and I don't think he'll feel he is ever at that point until he's resolved the issues of his past (as far as they can be resolved.)  I'm thinking that when D tells Jack his real name, it'll be the "ultimate" moment of this story.  And it's also important to D, as he's pointed out, that Jack can remain "Dr. Jack Twist."  I think he's had enough "pretending" and hiding in his life.  So, I guess that's why (apart from the red-tape and bureaucratic issues) I don't see Witsec as an option for D.   It would be jarring for me to envision that, but Lori's a good enough writer to make almost anything believable!

The odds really do seem stacked against both of them right now - and I don't have the imagination to create a workable scenario! 

Three or so more chapters and an epilogue?  Wow - action-packed nail biters, for sure!

Marie

mvansand76

« Reply #198 on: November 09, 2007, 01:55:33 pm »
I'm thinking that when D tells Jack his real name, it'll be the "ultimate" moment of this story. 

I sooooooo agree and I think I might not survive that moment... I might be dead on the floor even before he gets around to saying it or Jack gets around to telling him he knows.

I second Mikaela, you rock, Lori! This is still one of the most original and well-written au/au fanfics ever written! I take this Jack and Ennis with me in my heart just like I do with os!J&E!
Hurry back soon with a new chapter, will ya?

:-*

Mel

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #199 on: November 25, 2007, 11:18:22 pm »