Author Topic: Zero at the Bone by MadLori  (Read 220563 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: Zero at the Bone by MadLori
« Reply #230 on: April 09, 2008, 09:00:08 am »
Chapter 30 is up! 

http://community.livejournal.com/humaninterest/96222.html

SPOILERS

A master class in excellent writing.  Considering the premise of this story, it would have been so easy for Lori to fall into the trap of artificial angst or over-the-top melodrama, but she maintains a tight control over her characters and her storyline.  She not only understands her characters, she respects them as well.  That is something that is very important to me as a reader.  Hard to choose, but maybe my favorite part:

...D whipped out a camera and snapped photos. “You’re such a tourist,” Jack laughed.

“Fuckin moose, Jack! Look at that sucker! He’s huge!” He pointed, grinning like a child, looking back at Jack with his face full of open wonder.

Jack smiled, watching Ennis, a lump rising in his throat.

Yep - his Ennis.   :)

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #231 on: May 23, 2008, 01:22:01 pm »

Madlori!!

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #232 on: May 23, 2008, 01:38:14 pm »

Madlori!!

I'll add my birthday wishes for Lori to yours, Amanda!  I don't think she's been here for a few months, but I'm guessing/hoping she's busy writing!   :)

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

mvansand76

« Reply #233 on: May 23, 2008, 01:42:27 pm »
Prettige verjaardag Lori!!!!

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #234 on: May 25, 2008, 12:06:00 am »
Well, yeehaw!  For those of you waiting on this... the epilogue was posted tonight! 8)

Plus there's info about a forthcoming sequel! 8)

http://community.livejournal.com/humaninterest/96294.html

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #235 on: May 27, 2008, 06:15:34 pm »
That was a terrific epilogue, as well as a terrific prologue to the sequel.  I'm glad Lori will be completing the sequel before she begins posting it.   I can see that they're going to have some tremendously frustrating issues to deal with, and if I have enough willpower  :-\, I think it will be something I'd like to read all at once.

Marie

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #236 on: May 27, 2008, 10:55:09 pm »
That was a terrific epilogue, as well as a terrific prologue to the sequel.  I'm glad Lori will be completing the sequel before she begins posting it.   I can see that they're going to have some tremendously frustrating issues to deal with, and if I have enough willpower  :-\, I think it will be something I'd like to read all at once.

Marie

I agree that it was a super epilogue!  And, I love how complex everything about this story is.  The high drama... and the really complex emotional situations between Jack and D (but also within each one).

Yeah, now that they've reached their equivalent of a "sweet life", things will continue to ramp up in complexity on the emotional side of things it seems.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #237 on: June 27, 2008, 01:17:08 pm »
A Zero at the Bone one-shot, entitled "Time after Time" -

http://community.livejournal.com/humaninterest/97232.html

SPOILERS

Gorgeous writing, as always.  But, as with the epilogue, I'm left feeling so unsettled, almost depressed.  And not about the outwardly "dangerous" stuff.  Maybe it's just my mood, but everything seems to have an ominous air about it, even the stuff that shouldn't.   :-\  I'm really intrigued.

Marie

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #238 on: June 27, 2008, 01:42:04 pm »
Hi friends.  I read the whole story just this past week.  It was cool cause it was finished.  I dont know how y'all waited for her to post the next chapter...the anticipation and the waiting. 

Zero was a very good AUAU..  I could never get into that before, but this one is wonderful.  MadLori is an excellent ff writer for sure.  Thank you Lori!~!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #239 on: July 27, 2008, 07:42:55 pm »

:D
FYI, Lori posted a second One Shot continuing the Zero story!!
http://community.livejournal.com/humaninterest/97720.html

:D