Author Topic: Free Fall - Freier Fall  (Read 1101364 times)

Offline Gazapete

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: Free Fall - Freier Fall
« Reply #1340 on: November 12, 2018, 10:09:46 am »
I don't think he is only fighting the attraction, Kai is also something he doesn't understand. Marc comes from the most square cops family ever, everything is so traditional, but this new guy here is something from another galaxy for him. Probably from a big city (I guess, I don't know), smoking joints, making fun of the rules and breaking them whenever he can.

Offline thelastaerie

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #1341 on: November 12, 2018, 04:02:14 pm »
I don't think he is only fighting the attraction, Kai is also something he doesn't understand. Marc comes from the most square cops family ever, everything is so traditional, but this new guy here is something from another galaxy for him. Probably from a big city (I guess, I don't know), smoking joints, making fun of the rules and breaking them whenever he can.

Agree!  Kay represents everything outside Marc’s comfort zone.  He was probably equally intrigued and frightened.  Marc’s could not be more square upbringing was repeatedly reinforced in the film, from his parents’ attitude, to the bowling with friends and garden bbq activities.  

I read somewhere before about the plot of the sequel (not sure if that has been changed now that they seemed to have finished the first draft of the script), that Marc had tried to find Kay for 2 years without success, now 5 years gone, they met again during a special assignment that took place in Berlin.  Do wonder if Berlin could be where Kay come from.  :)

Offline Gazapete

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #1342 on: November 13, 2018, 03:22:12 am »
He has no Berlin accent, but I can't say where his accent is from, it's not distinct enough for me to recognise it. But Berliner I know well ;) It's his clothes and attitude, they scream "city" to me. It could be Köln, or Berlin or Hamburg, he could also be from a small place, but have lived in the city. The truth is I have no idea  :laugh: But I would love him to be from Berlin, I love that city. I'm going to be there tomorrow for a concert, actually  ;D

Offline thelastaerie

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #1343 on: November 13, 2018, 06:23:51 am »
He has no Berlin accent, but I can't say where his accent is from, it's not distinct enough for me to recognise it. But Berliner I know well ;) It's his clothes and attitude, they scream "city" to me. It could be Köln, or Berlin or Hamburg, he could also be from a small place, but have lived in the city. The truth is I have no idea  :laugh: But I would love him to be from Berlin, I love that city. I'm going to be there tomorrow for a concert, actually  ;D

Kay is such a mystery in the movie, I think they deliberately give very little background info of him in the movie, so he's like a character who came into Marc's life, turned it upside down and then disappeared again (though through Marc's own fault).  

Max Riemelt who played Kay is definitely from Berlin, born and raised.  I think he might still be living there.  I will be sure keeping my eyes open next time I go there - just in case  ;D ;D

I don't know enough German to detect accents (got my intermediate certificate 20 years ago now mostly "vergessen"), but my teacher was from Berlin, he was teaching us "hochdeutsch"
though. ;)

Hope you have fun at the concert  :)

Offline thelastaerie

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #1344 on: November 21, 2018, 07:05:34 pm »
While reading an English translation of an old interview Max and Hanno did for Männer magazine. Max mentioned what he saw in his  character, Kay:

Max Riemelt: “And when I read the script of 'Freier Fall' for the first time there were many points where I recognized myself in Kay.

Männer: Where exactly?

Riemelt: In his teasing of Marc, whom he winds up because he likes him. In Kay's character, that seems relatively quiet and laid back, but has turmoil inside. There's a lot of me inside of this.

I thought that’s a very apt description of Kay.  That he seems carefree, but he’s serious and to a certain extend, vulnerable inside.

Offline Gazapete

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #1345 on: November 22, 2018, 03:47:27 pm »
Yes, I also got the feeling that he uses his playfulness as a mask. When their relationship turns more "stable" he also seems to become more serious.

I was watching every corner in Berlin but missed him! ;)

Offline thelastaerie

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #1346 on: November 23, 2018, 06:35:51 am »
Yes, I also got the feeling that he uses his playfulness as a mask. When their relationship turns more "stable" he also seems to become more serious.

I was watching every corner in Berlin but missed him! ;)

Haha.  Could be because he’s currently filming somewhere else.  I read this week that Max was added to the cast of a new BBC tv series about World War II called “World on Fire”,  Helen Hunt and Brian J Smith (his Sense 8 co-star) are the main roles, don’t know how big Max’s part is in it.  But looks like they are filming all over Europe, including London - so I have to watch out  ;D

Offline thelastaerie

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #1347 on: November 27, 2018, 03:32:42 pm »
Btw, Hanno has a new TV series called “BEAT” on Amazon Prime (it says Amazon Original) but I don’t know if Amazon bought it from a German Network for other regions.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqnEmZzHVW6/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Just put it on my “to watch list”

Offline Val

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #1348 on: December 23, 2018, 06:17:09 pm »
I loved opening the forum and realizing they are talking about the movie again. Thelastaerie I read your fic in the Archive of Our Own and I loved it. Produce more fics, your sensitivity is incredible, please!  ;D

Offline Val

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #1349 on: December 23, 2018, 06:27:41 pm »
Agree!  Kay represents everything outside Marc’s comfort zone.  He was probably equally intrigued and frightened.  Marc’s could not be more square upbringing was repeatedly reinforced in the film, from his parents’ attitude, to the bowling with friends and garden bbq activities.  

I read somewhere before about the plot of the sequel (not sure if that has been changed now that they seemed to have finished the first draft of the script), that Marc had tried to find Kay for 2 years without success, now 5 years gone, they met again during a special assignment that took place in Berlin.  Do wonder if Berlin could be where Kay come from.  :)

I think they will both be in other relationships and meet in Berlin. At first Marc will try to win back all ways that Kay is still hurt and will not easily accept Marc's words. I think Kay will be in a serious relationship with someone else and this time it will be Marc who will use him in every way to regain him, just as Kay did in FF1.

I do not know if I can bear seeing Kay with someone else and Marc suffering...  :'(