Author Topic: Free Fall - Freier Fall  (Read 1101268 times)

Offline morrobay

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Free Fall - Freier Fall
« Reply #510 on: May 23, 2014, 06:58:25 pm »
I don't get the "inspired" thing. They just say that Blood Money (based on true story) got positive reviews too.

I think they just said "inspired" to mean, as you said, "based on a true story"
"Do you mind if I smoke?"
"I don't care if you shoot up."

Offline gattaca

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #511 on: May 23, 2014, 07:52:37 pm »
Do you think it was the "staring at each other" in the college room? Friends don't stare at each other like that. Friends should have smiled to each other or something like that.
Sometimes a short eye contact says more than words. You can't explain it but you feel it.
And Marc: when did he realize for the first time that something strange was going on?

Their eye contact is crucial.  It IS pivotal at various points in the film.  I'll have to watch it again to pay very close attention.   Normal male eye contact is purposely very limited.  More than about 1/2 second and straight guys get all weirded out - notice it sometime.. but being we think Marc was not gay or had prior experience.. not sure how he'd be getting all these OK signals. I think the smoking lip contact was the real start of Kay's pursuit.  V.
How do you hide when you are running from yourself?

Offline morrobay

« Reply #512 on: May 23, 2014, 10:30:43 pm »
There is SO much eye contact throughout the whole movie, starting in the classroom.  Then the silent but ridiculously well-acted scene where Kay grabs Marcs hand to light his cigarette - Marc can hardly drag his eyes away from Kay's face, you can see him forcing himself to look away.  To me, that scene is as erotic as, maybe more so than, their bed scene, as the sexual tension builds.  

Then at the bowling alley over the introductions, and when Kay stands over Marc as he's lifting weights, the karate scene - it just goes on and on, to the scene in the meeting room when it's learned that Kay has been picked up in a raid in a gay bar (it still seems odd that gay bars are still being raided in Germany in 2013).  And in line at the canteen before he goes to the hospital.  

I love to see it, and glad Lacant put so much non-verbal communication between them, and it's all so naturally played by Hanno & Max.

What scenes did I miss with those looks between them?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 08:51:29 am by butlers_fantasy »

Offline mariska

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #513 on: May 24, 2014, 03:41:16 am »
It's not exactly a look but did you see this one: in the cantine just before the kay/gregor fight. Look at their heads.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #514 on: May 24, 2014, 08:21:33 am »
Oh, absolutely!  In a room full of people there is that brief connection, as if, for a few seconds, only the two of them exist there.  Lovely.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 01:27:40 pm by butlers_fantasy »

Offline morrobay

« Reply #515 on: May 24, 2014, 08:42:37 am »

Offline morrobay

« Reply #516 on: May 24, 2014, 09:32:05 am »
D
So you think Kays face was showing pain during the car scene. Interesting.

There is definitely a momentary look of pain or discomfort, followed by pure ecstacy.

sex in the rain clip

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x18vpt7_freier-fall-hanno-koffler-max-riemelt-2-1_na

Offline morrobay

« Reply #517 on: May 24, 2014, 09:58:28 am »
Marc is at the other end of this look

Offline morrobay

« Reply #518 on: May 24, 2014, 10:54:08 am »
I thought I had found all the reviews and interviews, but here's another one.  It's from last year when the film was released in Germany. 

http://nightoutatberlin.jaxblog.de/?tag=/befreiung

Offline mariska

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #519 on: May 24, 2014, 03:51:25 pm »
Normal male eye contact is purposely very limited.  More than about 1/2 second and straight guys get all weirded out - notice it sometime.. but being we think Marc was not gay or had prior experience.. not sure how he'd be getting all these OK signals. I think the smoking lip contact was the real start of Kay's pursuit.  V.

Think so too. And the first sign of Marc was the eye contact in the classroom (definately more than 1/2 seconds) as far as I know. But maybe I missed something.
And I wonder if Marc realised at that moment something was different in his contact with Kay.