Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1036167 times)

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #1140 on: November 25, 2008, 11:57:51 pm »
Meryl, thanks for the review of Milk.  And yes, it's even premiering tonight at the Castro Theatre.  Focus Features got smart after the botched Brokeback Mountain release in SF that they went with the large grand Castro theatre for Milk.  They limited themselves so much with the small theatre they opened Brokeback Mountain in.  If only we could turn back time and have Brokeback Mountain premier at the Castro, as it should have.

I feel lots of us are going to try to compare Milk to BBM, and want that same gritty powerful edgy-ness that BBM had.  But, Milk is not going to have that, so it's important to know going in so we know what to expect now and not let ourselves be disappointed.

Barb, I also saw Role Models, only because I'm in love with both of them and was hoping for a secret love scene to break out between them!   :D  To be honest, I laughed at all the gay jokes.  They were subtle and meant to be that way. (Double entendre style).  That's what made them funny.  While the majority of straight folks still have such issues with gay "stuff", that's what makes it funny.  And, hopefully, the more and more they hear stuff like this, then the more and more the taboo will finally wear off where it just wont be such a dang issue anymore.

The "let's gently touch our sword tips in a circle" line had me crackin' up so much I almost fell out of my seat!  :laugh:

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1141 on: November 26, 2008, 07:55:22 pm »
Barb, I also saw Role Models, only because I'm in love with both of them and was hoping for a secret love scene to break out between them!   :D  To be honest, I laughed at all the gay jokes.  They were subtle and meant to be that way. (Double entendre style).  That's what made them funny.  While the majority of straight folks still have such issues with gay "stuff", that's what makes it funny.  And, hopefully, the more and more they hear stuff like this, then the more and more the taboo will finally wear off where it just wont be such a dang issue anymore.

The "let's gently touch our sword tips in a circle" line had me crackin' up so much I almost fell out of my seat!  :laugh:

You're right, Eric - most of it was really quite funny, like that one.  I certainly didn't feel the same kind of anti-gay vibe I've felt watching other "comedy" movies (especially Adam Sandler's and some of Will Ferrell's) - it did seem to be being done in a warm-hearted way.

I've been in love with Paul Rudd since "Clueless," and I must say Seann William Scott is quite the cutie, also.  I definitely wouldn't mind being the meat in that man sandwich.

My favorite line in the whole movie was

*Spoiler Alert (kinda)*

"I'd be psyched if he was my kid."

Just the way he said it, and how it came at the end of that powerful speech about why they were such shitty parents made me gasp out loud.

The rant about the poison he was selling to the school kids in the assembly was pretty great, too.
No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #1142 on: November 26, 2008, 09:18:25 pm »
The rant about the poison he was selling to the school kids in the assembly was pretty great, too.

I liked,

"What'd you have for dinner?"
"Was it cocaine?"

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1143 on: November 26, 2008, 10:02:00 pm »
I have mixed feeling seeing MILK. I'm sure it's a great film, but again, the gay guy gets killed. I know it's a biopic so you can't change the ending. Of course, I did see a film on Kennedy in which it closes with him boarding the plane to Dallas.  Nothing else needed to be said. 

Even I LOVE YOU PHILLIP MORRIS won't have a happy ending. I'm not giving anyting away, though. It's based on a true story and the facts are out there.

I wonder how well MILK will do at the B.O. 

I'm looking forward to seeing DOUBT.  No doubt if that and MILK are nominated, it's going to be a controversial Award season. 

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #1144 on: November 28, 2008, 08:54:33 pm »
I saw two movies yesterday - Quantum of Solace and Twilight.

I should have stayed home and watched Supernatural videos.

Quantum was OK, I guess.  Daniel Craig is eye candy, and it was fun to look for Randall in David Harbour's character; he was weasel-ly.  And I like Giancarlo Giavanni.  Shame, that.

Twilight, however, was near unwatchable.  I don't see how I managed to sit there to the end.  I figured it would be teenage romance and I'm thinking - fun!  Boy, was I wrong.  The diaglog was painful, excruciating...both in content and delivery.

Every...single.....word.......had.........to............be............dragged............out.............of...........them
................with.......................sufficient............................................................angst.......................
befitting.........................................the...........................................................tragedy
.............................................................of............................................................................their
...............................................................love......................................................................

They both need killing.  (And that's hyperbole for anyone thinking I'm not being sensitive enough!)  8)

On the positive side, there was a Coming Soon poster for Milk!
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline oilgun

« Reply #1145 on: November 28, 2008, 08:57:59 pm »
I saw two movies yesterday - Quantum of Solace and Twilight.

I should have stayed home and watched Supernatural videos.

Quantum was OK, I guess.  Daniel Craig is eye candy, and it was fun to look for Randall in David Harbour's character; he was weasel-ly.  And I like Giancarlo Giavanni.  Shame, that.

Twilight, however, was near unwatchable.  I don't see how I managed to sit there to the end.  I figured it would be teenage romance and I'm thinking - fun!  Boy, was I wrong.  The diaglog was painful, excruciating...both in content and delivery.

Every...single.....word.......had.........to............be............dragged............out.............of...........them
................with.......................sufficient............................................................angst.......................
befitting.........................................the...........................................................tragedy
.............................................................of............................................................................their
...............................................................love......................................................................

They both need killing.  (And that's hyperbole for anyone thinking I'm not being sensitive enough!)  8)

On the positive side, there was a Coming Soon poster for Milk!

:laugh:

I felt similarly about TWILIGHT the book, unreadable!  (And no sex!  ;))

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #1146 on: November 28, 2008, 09:08:08 pm »
:laugh:

I felt similarly about TWILIGHT the book, unreadable!  (And no sex!  ;))

:laugh: :laugh:

Thank the goddess.  If those two had had sex, I would have had to leave the theatre!

I think 10 Things is the perfect teen movie.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1147 on: November 30, 2008, 03:33:37 am »
I do think that's one you need to watch when you're very much awake and alert.  The dialogue is so literate and layered, you'll easily miss a lot if you're the least bit sleepy.

You are so right, Barb! Thank you.

I still had Quiz Show from my Blockbuster online account, so I watched it again tonight, including of course the part I'd slept through before. And I'm SO glad I did! Some observations:

1) My memory was that it was about an interesting episode in 1950s television history. Watching it tonight, I realized it's much more about class and ethnicity in the 1950s. I love movies that explore '50s class and ethnicity, because the dynamics are partly forgotten now. For example, one of my favorite scenes:

HERB STEMPLE (John Turturro) to government investigator DICK GOODWIN (Rob Morrow): Here, have some rugula, it's a Jewish delicacy, you don't know what you're missing.

GOODWIN: I'm very familiar with rugula, thanks.

(STEMPLE and his wife exchange glances.)

STEMPLE: How'd a guy like you get into Harvard?

2) I want to include this movie on one of my many hypothetical writing projects, about class in movies.

3) Rob Morrow! I would have gone to the grave not remembering Rob Morrow as being good in anything since Northern Exposure. But he was fantastic in QS. (Makes me want to rewatch a season or two of NE. Why isn't that show on 24 hours a day, like That '70s Show?) I wonder why he's not doing much now.

5) And of course Ralph Fiennes was really good, too. I kept thinking of the first time I saw him, in Schindler's List, and marveling at his versatility.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 02:13:15 am by serious crayons »

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #1148 on: November 30, 2008, 02:08:02 pm »
3) Rob Morrow! I would have gone to the grave not remembering Rob Morrow as being good in anything since Northern Exposure. But he was fantastic in QS. (Makes me want to rewatch a season or two of NE. Why isn't that show on 24 hours a day, like That '70s Show?) I wonder why he's not doing much now.

When I was in Alaska last month, I was constantly reminded of "Northern Exposure" and wondered the same thing.  Where are the reruns?  There were a lot of them a few years ago.  Time for a revival of that great series.   Good writing and great, quirky characters, many of whom I swear I saw in the flesh in Alaska.  :)

Rob Morrow, aside from doing a few movies, has been in a TV series for the last few years, "NUMB3RS," on Friday nights.  It's a decent crime drama about an FBI agent who solves crimes with the help of his brother, who is a math genius.  I didn't stick with it, but it's been on for three years, so it has a following.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1149 on: November 30, 2008, 02:35:41 pm »
Rob Morrow, aside from doing a few movies, has been in a TV series for the last few years, "NUMB3RS," on Friday nights.  It's a decent crime drama about an FBI agent who solves crimes with the help of his brother, who is a math genius.  I didn't stick with it, but it's been on for three years, so it has a following.

Oh, that's good. He had a very small role in as a doctor The Bucket List -- it could have been played by anyone, actually -- so I assumed he was washed up. Glad to hear he's not.