Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1041084 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #1300 on: January 10, 2009, 10:15:55 pm »
I just got back from Valkyrie myself. I wasn't quite as enthusiastic as you, Del, but I liked it well enough. It seemed slow for a while, and then the end was pretty bleak. (Spoiler alert -- they did not succeed in killing Hitler.) But it was very suspenseful in parts.

I myself have no trouble stomaching Tom Cruise, except in real life. And there were some other interesting actors in it, too. I always enjoy Tom Wilkinson. And nice to see Kenneth Branagh again! What's he been doing in recent years, anyway?

Adored the casting.  Almost every main character was someone you knew or had seen somewhere else.  The acting was just superb.  VERY nice to see Branagh again, though I hope he only gained weight for the movie.  The general in North Africa that Von Stauffenberg is talking to right before they're strafed is also very familiar, though I can't place him.  The German Army officer who was the hunk in the swimming pool, who keeps complaining about all the drills was actually a German actor - the gorgeous ship captain from the movie King Kong.  I saw him then and thought 'Wow! why don't we see more of this guy?' - actor Thomas Kretschmann.  And interestingly, an act I thought dramatic license in the movie turned out to be real:

SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At the last when VonStauffenberg is about to be shot and his loyal lieutenant breaks free to stand in front of him to take the bullets?

True event.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werner_von_Haeften
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 09:59:42 pm by delalluvia »

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #1301 on: January 11, 2009, 11:37:16 am »
Almost every main character was someone you knew or had seen somewhere else. 

I kept wondering who the actor was who played Olbricht. Bill Nighy. I didn't recognize him, because in the role I mainly associate him with, he had huge tentacles growing from his face, one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

VERY nice to Branagh again, though I hope he only gained weight for the movie. 

He's 48, though he could pass for mid-50s. Looks slightly on the hefty side in his most recent photos on imdb. Maybe he's been busy on stage in recent years?

The German Army officer who was the hunk in the swimming pool, who keeps complaining about all the drills was actually a German actor - the gorgeous ship captain from the movie King Kong.  I saw him then and thought 'Wow! why don't we see more of this guy?' - actor Thomas Kretschmann.

I know! I thought the same. He reminds me of a younger Liam Neeson.

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1302 on: January 11, 2009, 02:18:28 pm »
I had my whole day planned in order to see Milk yesterday afternoon.  Unfortunately, when I arrived at the theater, there was no longer an afternoon showing.  (I had checked the schedule Friday night, but not Saturday morning.)  So, I spent my whole afternoon shopping, for better or worse. 

::)
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1303 on: January 11, 2009, 02:23:31 pm »
I had my whole day planned in order to see Milk yesterday afternoon.  Unfortunately, when I arrived at the theater, there was no longer an afternoon showing.  (I had checked the schedule Friday night, but not Saturday morning.)  So, I spent my whole afternoon shopping, for better or worse. 

::)

My plan had been to see Frost/Nixon. Blame my 14-year-old companion. But it worked out for the best, because I probably wouldn't have seen Valkyrie otherwise. And I still had time to buy a new pair of silver gym shoes!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #1304 on: January 11, 2009, 02:34:51 pm »
I kept wondering who the actor was who played Olbricht. Bill Nighy. I didn't recognize him, because in the role I mainly associate him with, he had huge tentacles growing from his face, one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

Bill Nighy has been in everything.  He sticks out in my mind most prominently from his roles in Love Actually and Underworld.

He's 48, though he could pass for mid-50s. Looks slightly on the hefty side in his most recent photos on imdb. Maybe he's been busy on stage in recent years?

I suppose, since his last few movies bombed.

The German Army officer who was the hunk in the swimming pool, who keeps complaining about all the drills was actually a German actor - the gorgeous ship captain from the movie King Kong.  I saw him then and thought 'Wow! why don't we see more of this guy?' - actor Thomas Kretschmann.

I know! I thought the same. He reminds me of a younger Liam Neeson.

OMG Thomas K. is such a manly man.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #1305 on: January 11, 2009, 07:07:58 pm »
"--harshness--"

Huh?? (Can your friend pick'em, or what??)

Seriously, Slumdog is going to be a GOOD FEELINGS classic. Forever. Maybe even at Christmas, even though it's in Mumbai, with Muslim and Hindu characters, but just because the film was first released in the US at Christmas.

I'm a wuss, and there is one minute when I closed my eyes (the way I would have nearly fifty years ago watching the original 101 Dalmatians, a film that actually resembles in more ways than one); ok, two minutes, three, tops. Otherwise, it makes you feel ten feet tall, ready to run all the way home, shadowboxing, and saying 'Yessss!'

That's something you have to see before the semi-bleak holiday season is over--because it make you feel good!

(Rant over! Sorry!)

Slumdog just came out here on Friday. So I decided to see it. I really liked it. I'm not sure I'd call it feel good cos as folk have said its quite harsh at times, but the littlest Jamal was just adorable.

I laughed so hard at the toilet/helicopter scene!

Dev Patel who played adult Jamal was very good - I wasn't sure what he'd be like as hes only been in one cult teenage programme over here called Skins" - it was basically a drugged and drink fuelled, very British version of "The OC" I guess! And he defintely wasn't stand out in that although he had some great funny scenes, hes obviously got a natural falre for the comedy.

Was nice to see some of the scams before I got to India too!

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #1306 on: January 11, 2009, 07:21:48 pm »
On a whim, I went to see The Reader today.  So glad I did.

I have great respect for Stephen Daldry and David Hare, who directed and wrote, respectively, The Hours

I went into the film without knowing much at all, and was pleasantly surprised. 

Not a huge Kate Winslet fan, but she's terrific in a very difficult role.  Ralph Fiennes is fine in a smaller role.  However, David Kross is incredible.  He looks so much like Charlie Hunnam.  He's actually German.  What a performance.  Lena Olin in a dual role is brilliant.  Bruno Ganz (the angel from Wings of Desire shows up).

I found it very moving and very rewarding. 

« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 09:03:47 pm by southendmd »

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #1307 on: January 11, 2009, 09:04:39 pm »
Hey, Kate W. just won a Golden Globe for The Reader!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1308 on: January 11, 2009, 09:06:08 pm »
Hey, Kate W. just won a Golden Globe for The Reader!

I was just going to post this! You beat me!

And what on earth has Jennifer Lopez ever done to be characterized as an actress??? LOL

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1309 on: January 11, 2009, 09:06:46 pm »
Yikes! What happened to Sting's hair? I thought he was a blonde??!!>?
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!