Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1035830 times)

Offline Sammi

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Where bluebirds sing and there's a whiskey spring
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #1490 on: December 01, 2009, 08:21:08 pm »
Lake House - It's a love story - there is no action in it whatsoever.  It is not up there with the great love story movies by any means - it was a little flat.  And it has this weird time warp element that is hard to get into.  I liked the movie becuase I really like both actors, but if you are a Sandra Bullock fan I think Hope Floats was better.

I was also thinking about the movie Steel Magnolias, I have seen it a million times, but it was on recently too.  This is a sad and tragic movie but I was thinking about how even though it is very sad when Shelby dies, the movie ends on a hopeful note with the little boy and the theme is "life goes on", you know?   But in BBM the ending is so sad and tragic and there are no signs of hope.  Very haunting indeed.

I can't help but to start comparing every movie to BBM now.  It's part of my obsession.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #1491 on: December 01, 2009, 08:24:11 pm »
I found that for a while after seeing BBM I was better off with movies that weren't anything like BBM. The first movie I liked after seeing BBM was Thank You for Smoking.

Offline Sammi

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #1492 on: December 01, 2009, 08:30:15 pm »
Things like kissing scenes being flat or lackluster, I wonder if that has to do with the director too.  Like seeing a lame kissing scene, I wonder "why didn't they reshoot that until they got it right?"  Maybe poor direction.  Hard to say.

Offline Sophia

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #1493 on: December 01, 2009, 08:34:21 pm »
Lake House - It's a love story - there is no action in it whatsoever.  It is not up there with the great love story movies by any means - it was a little flat.  And it has this weird time warp element that is hard to get into.  I liked the movie becuase I really like both actors, but if you are a Sandra Bullock fan I think Hope Floats was better.

I was also thinking about the movie Steel Magnolias, I have seen it a million times, but it was on recently too.  This is a sad and tragic movie but I was thinking about how even though it is very sad when Shelby dies, the movie ends on a hopeful note with the little boy and the theme is "life goes on", you know?   But in BBM the ending is so sad and tragic and there are no signs of hope.  Very haunting indeed.

I can't help but to start comparing every movie to BBM now.  It's part of my obsession.

its totally understandable, and I am sure we all have been there or still are there. The ending is really emotionally, I cry every time I see it. the ending is something we have discussed here at bettermost many times. for some its no sign of hope, for others the shirt is some satisfaction and realisation of there love.

Offline Sammi

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #1494 on: December 01, 2009, 08:42:00 pm »
The ending is one of the saddest things I've even seen. This middle aged man all alone, alone out on this dirt road somewhere in his trailer with only the shirts.  When I watch it I can hear Jack's words ringing "We coulda had a good life together, but you didn't want it".  Ugh - so gut wrenching. 

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #1495 on: December 01, 2009, 08:51:17 pm »
Hi, Sammi, and welcome. 

In terms of hope, I think Ang tried to add a hint of hope to the film that may be lacking in the story.

Ennis's coming around to decide to attend Jr.'s weddding, complete with a Cassie white wine toast, is a hopeful sign.  Plus, he finally says the word "love", when asking about Kurt, all the while looking out the window of his little trailer, and, presumably, thinking about Jack. 

Offline Sophia

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #1496 on: December 01, 2009, 09:00:24 pm »
The ending is one of the saddest things I've even seen. This middle aged man all alone, alone out on this dirt road somewhere in his trailer with only the shirts.  When I watch it I can hear Jack's words ringing "We coulda had a good life together, but you didn't want it".  Ugh - so gut wrenching. 

but we shouldn´t forget the life Ennis had as a child, from what we know it doesn't sounds so good. So maybe living in a trailer ain't so bad for him. For me he is a simple man, don't need so many things in his life. And a trailer is just ok.

But the sorrow after Jack, I guess most be dreadful. But still life continues and the love they had is something Ennis will carry with him for eternity.

and that love I guess is something he never really experienced with anyone else, not even as a child.

Offline Sammi

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #1497 on: December 08, 2009, 11:08:50 am »
Over the weekend I watched Sense and Sensibility, an Ang movie, and October Sky starring Jakey.  I enjoyed them both.  SAS was "OK", it is a good story, but I was not blown away by it and I did not think it was very exceptionaly done.  I loved Emma Thomson in it though, she is great. I wish we saw more of her.  October Sky was great - Jake was still a teen when he did this movie and he was already such a good actor. 

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #1498 on: December 12, 2009, 10:20:37 pm »
Over the weekend I watched Sense and Sensibility, an Ang movie, and October Sky starring Jakey.  I enjoyed them both.  SAS was "OK", it is a good story, but I was not blown away by it and I did not think it was very exceptionaly done.  I loved Emma Thomson in it though, she is great. I wish we saw more of her. 

And Emma Thompson wrote the screenplay.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #1499 on: December 13, 2009, 08:48:12 pm »
Saw the movie Brothers

Give it 6.5 out of 10

Great acting all around.

But the story wasn't as tight as it might have been.  The story is truly about brothers. the focus is on neither of them, but on both, so you have two storylines, but Jake's story was a bit more nebulous since his story combined with Natalie's and Tobey's story was more linear and focused on him, but when they all combine, there is no real resolution to any of their stories, which of course makes it more realistic, but makes you feel it's a little lacking movie-wise.  It should have been longer so some scenes might have fully developed more rather than ending abruptly or the characters saying something out of the blue.

SPOILER   SPOILER   SPOILER  SPOILER  SPOILER

But I did wonder why Tobey's character was listed as KIA instead of MIA.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 03:18:26 pm by delalluvia »