Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1040567 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #1660 on: April 13, 2010, 08:56:26 am »
Has anyone seen The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, which is playing on AMC this week? It's an interesting drama. There's a scene where Casey Affleck completely upstages Brad Pitt and Brad looks at him like "Well, I'll be a ...."
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1661 on: April 13, 2010, 01:54:08 pm »
No!  I'll definitely have to look for that.   That was one I really wanted to see at the theater, but for some reason never got to it.   From the previews, it looked beautifully filmed.   Thanks for the info!  :)
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1662 on: April 13, 2010, 04:30:33 pm »
Has anyone seen The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, which is playing on AMC this week? It's an interesting drama. There's a scene where Casey Affleck completely upstages Brad Pitt and Brad looks at him like "Well, I'll be a ...."

Upstaging Brad Pitt, now there's an accomplishment.  ;)

I can't wait to see Casey in the controversial THE KILLER INSIDE ME.  Perfect casting!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1663 on: April 13, 2010, 11:20:54 pm »
The scene reminds me of the Dozy Embrace, although there's a table between Robert Ford and Jesse James. Casey has such a look of total acceptance and love, which turns to bitter disillusionment and regret, so like Jack's look.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1664 on: April 14, 2010, 03:10:38 pm »
The scene reminds me of the Dozy Embrace, although there's a table between Robert Ford and Jesse James. Casey has such a look of total acceptance and love, which turns to bitter disillusionment and regret, so like Jack's look.

I'l have to rewatch the film because I don't recall that scene.  I saw it when it first came out so it's been a while.  I remember really enjoying it though.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #1665 on: May 19, 2010, 10:06:11 pm »
Saw the movie Robin Hood opening weekend.  Russell Crowe taking his shirt off is worth the price of admission and the hour wait.   ;D  Super cast, great production values, wonderful 'twist' to the story, but otherwise silly, with dumb parts, and it sets itself up for sequel I'm not sure we'll see.

IMDb reports Russell Crow is the same age Sean Connery was when he played Robin in the 'autumn' version of Robin and Marian.  Neither Crowe nor Blanchette are spring chickens and their characters admit as much, but they show no signs of acting like geriatric cases.

Give it 6.99 out of 10
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 12:12:22 am by delalluvia »

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #1666 on: May 20, 2010, 10:57:10 am »
Saw the movie Robin Hood opening weekend.  Russell Crowe taking his shirt off is worth the price of admission and the hour wait.   ;D  Super cast, great production values, wonderful 'twist' to the story, but otherwise silly, with dumb parts, and it sets itself up for sequel I'm not sure we'll see.

IMDb reports Russell Crow is the same age Sean Connery was when he played Robin in the 'autumn' version of Robin and Marian.  Neither Crowe nor Blanchette are spring chickens and their characters admit as much, but they show no signs of acting like geriatric cases.

Give it 6.99 out of 10

I'm glad you liked it more than not, del.  I'm planning to see this one, purely for Russell and Cate.  Sounds like a good popcorn flick.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1667 on: May 20, 2010, 01:31:34 pm »
Saw the movie Robin Hood opening weekend.  Russell Crowe taking his shirt off is worth the price of admission and the hour wait.   ;D  Super cast, great production values, wonderful 'twist' to the story, but otherwise silly, with dumb parts, and it sets itself up for sequel I'm not sure we'll see.

Give it 6.99 out of 10

I'm glad you liked it more than not, del.  I'm planning to see this one, purely for Russell and Cate.  Sounds like a good popcorn flick.  8)

Yes, it does, and I plan to see it, too. I am looking forward to seeing those high production values convincingly recreate Europe from a millennium ago.

And I love Russell Crowe as an actor. I did read one review that wished the role had been given to someone with more sprezzatura -- the reviewer suggested Robert Downey Jr., Johnny Depp or Brad Pitt. I can see what she means about the first two (I'm not sure I'd find Brad Pitt convincing), but I'll wait and see.

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1668 on: May 20, 2010, 01:40:31 pm »
Hi All,

I saw Robin Hood over the weekend too - I thought it was very well done!  Looking forward to more.

I have Jesse James yet too watch too.

M

“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #1669 on: May 21, 2010, 12:20:37 am »

And I love Russell Crowe as an actor. I did read one review that wished the role had been given to someone with more sprezzatura -- the reviewer suggested Robert Downey Jr., Johnny Depp or Brad Pitt. I can see what she means about the first two (I'm not sure I'd find Brad Pitt convincing), but I'll wait and see.

You mean like the sprezzatura you exhibited in the way you dropped the word into your post?

I had to look it up, it's new to me.

:)