Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1037567 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #1740 on: February 02, 2011, 09:17:37 am »
I certainly agree that the eyes say everything in BBM.  My favorite example of this is the scene by the brook where Ennis asks Jack whether he ever wonders if people on the street suspect him.  His eyes show fear, calculation, curiosity, a wish to seem nonchalant--all in a matter of a few lines.  Brilliant.

Good one, Meryl!

Or, a bit less subtly, the eyes in the Jimbo the Clown scene.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1741 on: February 06, 2011, 03:35:28 pm »

Apparently, no commentary track is planned for the DVD of BLACK SWAN which is unfortunate.  The following video interview is the next best thing though. It's very informative on the technical aspects of the film but also goes into the creative procesws.  Well worth the listen.

DP/30: Black Swan’s Darren Aronofsky, cinematographer Matthew Libatique, and editor Andrew Weisblum

55:59 min.
http://moviecitynews.com/2011/02/dp30-black-swans-director-darren-aronofsky-cinematographer-matthew-libatique-and-editor-andrew-weisblum/

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #1742 on: February 06, 2011, 04:00:02 pm »
I watched the movie Salmonberries this weekend. It was released in 1991 and stars k.d. lang. It deals with a romantic relationship between two women in Alaska.
By no means is this a "perfect" movie but I found its flaws rather endearing than anything else. This movie has a genuine feel to it and I had no idea of how it would end, which is really refreashing, and I found k.d. lang fascinating.
And the soundtruck is beautiful.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dhr5i7IYyWc[/youtube]

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #1743 on: February 08, 2011, 03:50:16 pm »
^^^^^^^^^

Preparing yourself for the summer, are you?   :)

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #1744 on: February 09, 2011, 08:32:16 pm »
I just watched the shortish (~1 hour) documentary Small Town Gay Bar, via Netflix streaming, which takes a look at a few proprietors and their clientele of gay bars in northern MS.  It's been in the queue forever.  It sure is easy to forget - living in the city - how oppressive life and culture is in those parts.

The common thread through all the stories was the need to have somewhere they could be themselves and feel a sense of kinship and community.  A very familiar theme to most of us, I think.

A few of them came and went at the whim of local politicians and law enforcement, and at least one came back again.  It's pretty scary how arbitrary the harassment seemed to be.  And I guess like most things, there's a life cycle, and places became rougher and scarier and maybe they needed to close and be re-invented.

This is the first time I've listened to Fred Phelps for any amount of time.  I guess the waste of celluloid was necessary to properly frame the extreme element of local attitudes.  Interestingly he talks about going to seminary with Billy Graham (at Bob Jones U) and how he had written to Graham to tell him he was going to picket Graham's funeral.  I swear.  And I wonder if he did, but I don't care enough to look it up.  He's such a caricature of a human being, and I mean that purely in the one-dimensional sense.  

I like that Kevin Smith of Chasing Amy, among other things, produced/invested - I've always liked his work.  Here's an interview about how Kevin got involved with his friend Malcolm Ingram - who conceived and directed.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7bqJIHrQ28[/youtube]

I gave it five stars.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline oilgun

« Reply #1745 on: February 22, 2011, 06:56:44 pm »
A very funny interview with Tom Hardy  :-* on the UK Alan Carr Show . He talks about possible Inception sequels and of course Batman.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gLIy_8R8PQ[/youtube]

Offline oilgun

« Reply #1746 on: March 02, 2011, 08:33:19 pm »
This is really good!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djRAiiFlCy8[/youtube]

Archie is torn between Betty and Veronica, Jughead downs burgers, Moose plays football. These storylines are familiar to generations of fans who grew up on Archie comics, but a trailer parody produced by a Vancouver company that has gone viral suggests darker issues lurking down the hallways of Riverdale High. Drug use, abortion, suicide and maybe murder figure in the Riverdale trailer, which had more than 185,000 views by late Wednesday – less than a week after it went online.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #1747 on: March 02, 2011, 10:26:13 pm »
This is really good!

Archie is torn between Betty and Veronica, Jughead downs burgers, Moose plays football. These storylines are familiar to generations of fans who grew up on Archie comics, but a trailer parody produced by a Vancouver company that has gone viral suggests darker issues lurking down the hallways of Riverdale High. Drug use, abortion, suicide and maybe murder figure in the Riverdale trailer, which had more than 185,000 views by late Wednesday – less than a week after it went online.

*sigh*

Does everything have to be a public service announcement or 'relevant' to the current social situation?  Why can't something just be what it originally was?   What happened to escapism?  Jeez, if I wanted to know about kids and drug use, abortion, suicides and maybe murder, etc., etc, all I have to do is read the headlines.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #1748 on: March 02, 2011, 11:07:39 pm »
Geez, I just thought it was funny.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1749 on: March 25, 2011, 11:08:11 am »
Anybody planning to see Jane Eyre this weekend? How about Mildred Pierce on HBO?
"chewing gum and duct tape"