Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1022355 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #180 on: April 28, 2007, 10:00:04 pm »
Hey!
I just saw Pan's Labyrinth and I was so amazed. It's such a disturbing movie. I don't know why the movie grabbed me like it did, but by the end I was crying more than I have ever cried over BBM. The violence was definitely too much and I had to close my eyes several times (The Oh-no-they-are-not-gonna-show-that-are-they-oh-shit-yes-they-are moments). It was refreshing to see this movie also because of the actors, they were incredible, the little girl and Mercedes were so good. Spain does have some amazing talents! Anyway, I am still trying to figure out why it grabbed me like it did....

Yes, I really like Pan's Labyrinth as well.  I was enthralled by the world the girl made for herself.  At the end, my friend was asking, "Well did she make it up or not?"

That's the best part.  You don't know.  :)

mvansand76

« Reply #181 on: April 29, 2007, 05:40:05 am »
Yes, I really like Pan's Labyrinth as well.  I was enthralled by the world the girl made for herself.  At the end, my friend was asking, "Well did she make it up or not?"

That's the best part.  You don't know.  :)

Yeah I was discussing that with my boyfriend last night and we think it was all in her head, because her body really was still there, the grown-ups didn't see anything magical (he took her brother away from her, but didn't see the Faun). But then that little root she put in the milk under her mother's bed did have that effect on her mother.. it's all very intriguing and it leaves a lot to be discussed, just like BBM, that's probably why I thought it was such an interesting film, for the first time since BBM I saw a movie that I was still thinking about hours later, and now even days later...

I'm glad you got to see it, Snavel.  It's something I urge everyone here to see - it and "The Lives of Others" were by far the most moving films I've seen in the last year.  Like it did you, "Pan's Labyrinth" really got a hold of me.  It haunted me for a long time afterwards.  I had a vivid imagination as a child, too, and actually wrote a fairy tale once about a girl who sees the reflection of the sky in big puddle and gets mezmerized by it, bends down to see it more closely, and gets pulled into another world on the other side of it.  But never in my wildest imaginings did I conjure up anything like Pan or the pale monster (yikes) or the giant toad.  It was all beyond magical.  Put all the LOTR and Harry Potter crap to shame, if'n you ask me.  (OK, so I've only seen the first LOTR and Harry Potter movies and was underwhelmed by both of them...)

I saw a good one today - "Hot Fuzz" - made by the guys who made "Shaun of the Dead."  Wonderful satire.  Some very gross violence in that one, too, but it somehow wasn't as disturbing as Pan's because it was so surreal, ironically enough.

Oh I would love to see Hot Fuzz, I looooved Shaun of the Dead, it was hilarious! It's me, Mel, by the way (Snuitje). LOL! Das Leben der Anderen I need to see too.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #182 on: April 29, 2007, 10:02:25 am »
Oh, hi, Mel.   ;D

You'll love "Hot Fuzz."  I looooved "Shaun of the Dead," too, and this one is very much in keeping with that same broad but sly wit.  I laughed myself silly at several things in it.  Funny thing - this youngish guy two seats over from me and I kept laughing at exactly the same stuff and in exactly the same way - we'd chuckle at some stuff, kind of snort at others, and laugh out loud at others.  It was almost a little awkward until finally I quietly said to him "Hey.  Are we related?"  He and his friends laughed at that and the awkwardness dissipated.  We still kept laughing at the same stuff in the same way.

It was a fun crowd at this movie.  In the Land of Seniors, I was for once one of the oldest people in the theater instead of one of the youngest.  That was definitely refreshing.  I did enjoy how the one group of senior men who came together sitting in the row in front of me and one seat over laughed enthusiastically at several parts.  So my sense of humor will still be very much intact at their age.  Good to know.
No more beans!

Offline opinionista

« Reply #183 on: May 02, 2007, 05:14:35 am »
Yeah I was discussing that with my boyfriend last night and we think it was all in her head, because her body really was still there, the grown-ups didn't see anything magical (he took her brother away from her, but didn't see the Faun). But then that little root she put in the milk under her mother's bed did have that effect on her mother.. it's all very intriguing and it leaves a lot to be discussed, just like BBM, that's probably why I thought it was such an interesting film, for the first time since BBM I saw a movie that I was still thinking about hours later, and now even days later...

I still think it was all part of the girl's imagination. Even the mandragora, the root she puts underneath her mother's bed. I don't know why she gets better but it could've been the medicines the doctor had been giving her, though the doctor doesn't understand her sudden improvement. I think the girl, with her fantasy, is trying to cope to the reality of death. Not killiing herself but that dying is possible. She said the the princess's father is waiting for the return of her soul. We all think children don't think of death, but I think they do if they are within an environment where dying violently seems to be norm.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

mvansand76

« Reply #184 on: May 02, 2007, 07:57:44 am »
Oh, hi, Mel.   ;D

You'll love "Hot Fuzz."  I looooved "Shaun of the Dead," too, and this one is very much in keeping with that same broad but sly wit.  I laughed myself silly at several things in it.  Funny thing - this youngish guy two seats over from me and I kept laughing at exactly the same stuff and in exactly the same way - we'd chuckle at some stuff, kind of snort at others, and laugh out loud at others.  It was almost a little awkward until finally I quietly said to him "Hey.  Are we related?"  He and his friends laughed at that and the awkwardness dissipated.  We still kept laughing at the same stuff in the same way.

It was a fun crowd at this movie.  In the Land of Seniors, I was for once one of the oldest people in the theater instead of one of the youngest.  That was definitely refreshing.  I did enjoy how the one group of senior men who came together sitting in the row in front of me and one seat over laughed enthusiastically at several parts.  So my sense of humor will still be very much intact at their age.  Good to know.

I can't help but think I would be laughing at the same things as you did! I love the type of humour in Shaun of the Dead. I love the part in the beginning where he keeps passing by zombies and he doesn't realise it. Or the record throwing in the garden. LOL!

Offline oilgun

« Reply #185 on: May 02, 2007, 07:50:23 pm »
Reading about the humour in Shawn of the Dead reminds me of another more recent "horror" film that had me on the floor laughing:  Slither with Nathan Fillion.  It has some rather disturbing scenes so it's not for the squeamish but man is it ever funny in parts.  I was pleasantly surprised.

Has anyone seen Dito Montiel's A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints.  At first I was really hating it because it felt like watching a bunch of people in an acting class and we all know how awful that can be, lol!  There is a lot of Acting with a capital A  in this but once I got used to it I really enjoyed it.  The revelation for me was Channing Tatum, the guy CAN act althopugh he doesn't need to as this pic of him (not from the movie) will attest: 

« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 06:36:18 pm by oilgun »

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #186 on: May 08, 2007, 07:02:31 pm »
Channing Tatum[/i], the guy CAN act althopugh he doesn't need to as this pic of him (not from the movie) will attest: 

DANG!
Who cares if he can act!!!!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Pirates of the Caribbean III
« Reply #187 on: May 28, 2007, 01:13:39 am »
Just came from watching "Pirates of the Caribbean III:  At World's End."

Entertaining but overly long, they made the same mistake as the producers did on The Mummy II - had too many characters, introduced more and spent too little time on the important ones - they didn't have to show what happened to everyone, ya know? - worried more about amping up the special effects than the characters' stories.  One plotline was very interesting, but took a bizarre and unnecessary turn, another storyline we waited for for 3 years took a tragic turn that was tossed off way too casually for what actually happened.

I give it a 6/10

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #188 on: May 28, 2007, 08:38:03 am »
Sounds an awful lot like Spider-Man 3, Del.  Thanks for the intel - I do believe I'll pass.

No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #189 on: May 29, 2007, 05:47:26 pm »
Sounds an awful lot like Spider-Man 3, Del.  Thanks for the intel - I do believe I'll pass.

I have to go, if for no other reason than to see Keith Richards!