Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1025171 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #2000 on: June 01, 2013, 04:37:13 pm »
You know, I even think that the last part of that sentence is arguably true. According to the website iraqbodycount.org, which to me seems pretty credible, Iraqi civilian deaths since the early 2000s exceed 100,000. They peaked in the Bush years of '06-'07 -- but the site says 34 were killed on Thursday, 873 in May. It's hard to imagine how the U.S. would be reacting if some other country had killed 100,000 of its civilians.

But that doesn't mean "America ... deserves all the criticisms it gets." "America" or anything else only deserves the criticisms that accurately apply. Otherwise those criticisms just wind up sounding stupid, and diminishing the credibility of whoever makes them.

I actually try to avoid calling it America, especially when talking to Canadians, because I know you guys get huffy about that, understandably. But "the United States" is such a relatively colorless and bureaucratic-sounding name that I wish we could just call it the lovely "America," and the other countries could call themselves Canada and Mexico and Uruguay and Brazil and so on. Let's just change the names of the continents themselves.

The first time I became aware of this America thing, I was quite young, I was looking up Canada in a French dictionary and the first thing it said was "an american state".  I was like 'Whaa?' until I realised that they were referencing the continent.  That's how linked the word America is with the USA.  (Poor Mexico which was until recently, the United States of Mexico, many people don't even consider it to be part of North America.)  Plus I wish there was another way of calling the citizens of the US, Americans, like the Spanish estadounidense and the French états-uniens(iennes). Somehow United-statesman and United-stateswoman, just don't sound right, lol!

Offline oilgun

« Reply #2001 on: June 01, 2013, 04:41:36 pm »
You didn't cite the MPAA specifically. You cited Americans as a whole.

As for drones, please see the Terrorist thread.

No, I said too bad Americans won't see the uncut version.  And who's fault would that be?  The MPAA of course.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #2002 on: June 02, 2013, 12:45:31 am »
In order to get back on topic - has anyone yet seen "Behind the calebra"?

I'm waiting for it to premiere over here so that I can go and see it.
I've been reading up lately on Liberace - he was mostly known in the US and not so much in Europe. I know of him mainly from references made about him in American movies  :)

I watched it the other night and thought it was well done.  It's mainly about Matt Damon's character and his relationship with Liberace, how he evolves from a relative innocent to a bitter, jaded ex-lover.  Both he and Michael Douglas give very good performances, and I expect to see them nominated for Emmys.  When I was a kid, Liberace was on TV a lot, smiling ingratiatingly, wearing fantastic outfits, doing comic bits and of course playing the piano impressively.  He was so over the top you had to love him.  I didn't even know what gay was in those days, and neither, apparently, did his legions of female fans.

Liberace's mother is played by Debbie Reynolds, who is almost unrecognizable.  In fact, I didn't remember until I saw the credits that she was in the cast.  Dan Ackroyd and Paul Reiser have small roles.  The sets are great, and having recently seen a youtube of Liberace's home, I'd say they made it look much better than the real thing.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2003 on: June 02, 2013, 02:11:24 am »
For those who didn't see Good Night and Good Luck, there's a funny segment involving a network news interview with Liberace. The interviewer asks, "When are you going to settle down and get married, Lee?" I can't remember how Liberace (known as Lee) respond, but it's played for ironic humor.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2004 on: June 23, 2013, 01:18:52 pm »
Saw Man of Steel last night. Lots of fun for us little boys who like movies where lots of stuff gets destroyed  ;D  with no thought for the people who might be getting destroyed along with it.  :-\

In addition, in the new get-up to match the new take on the story, Henry Cavill might just be the sexiest Superman ever. Christopher Reeve will always be the standard for what I might call the "classic Superman," but for the new take, Henry Cavill. ... O.M.G.  :o Thud!

Plus, I adore Amy Adams. Absolutely adore her!  :D

The thought came to me this morning, Next time they feel a need for a new James Bond, they should give that role to Henry Cavill, too.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2005 on: August 04, 2013, 01:52:54 am »
Has anyone here seen the new Lone Ranger movie with Johnny Depp in it?  I haven't seen it, but I'm very curious about it.  I know that he was very inspired by Keith Richards for his role in Pirates... and I'm interested in his make-up for Lone Ranger and the idea of inspiration from music.  

His make-up is so reminiscent of Marilyn Manson make-up... I'm super curious about whether that was deliberate (and the war paint metaphor is very appropriate for Manson).  As with Richards, there's some personal connection and history with Manson for Depp.   Has there been any discussion of that anywhere?

I'm tempted to see the movie - just because is looks amusing.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2006 on: August 04, 2013, 09:17:00 am »
Try out Jeff's "Everything Lone Ranger" thread in his blog.  :)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2007 on: August 04, 2013, 01:09:14 pm »
His make-up is so reminiscent of Marilyn Manson make-up... I'm super curious about whether that was deliberate (and the war paint metaphor is very appropriate for Manson).  As with Richards, there's some personal connection and history with Manson for Depp.   Has there been any discussion of that anywhere?

I'm tempted to see the movie - just because is looks amusing.

I found the movie amusing, but then it has lots of trains in it, so maybe it's best not to take my word for it.

I hope this link works....

http://colorlines.com/archives/2012/05/johnny_depps_make-up_for_new_tonto_movie_is_awful.html

I heard or read somewhere that the inspiration for Johnny Depp's makeup was a painting of an actual Crow Indian. I found the above, which, when I looked at it, showed the painting next to a photo of Depp. Since his Tonto is supposed to be a Comanche, I have no idea why they would base his makeup on a member of the Crow Nation. I guess that's Hollywood for you.  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #2008 on: August 04, 2013, 04:10:00 pm »

British actor Ben Whishaw (right, Skyfall, Brideshead Revisited, Cloud Atlas) has confirmed he's gay via a statement from a publicist about his marriage to his partner, Australian composer Mark Bradshaw, which took place nearly a year ago. Up till now it was thought Whishaw was gay but never confirmed because of the actor's hesitancy to discuss it.

Read more: http://www.towleroad.com/#ixzz2b25lNOt8

One of my favourite actors!  Now I love him even more!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2009 on: August 05, 2013, 10:04:33 pm »
I found the movie amusing, but then it has lots of trains in it, so maybe it's best not to take my word for it.

I hope this link works....

http://colorlines.com/archives/2012/05/johnny_depps_make-up_for_new_tonto_movie_is_awful.html

I heard or read somewhere that the inspiration for Johnny Depp's makeup was a painting of an actual Crow Indian. I found the above, which, when I looked at it, showed the painting next to a photo of Depp. Since his Tonto is supposed to be a Comanche, I have no idea why they would base his makeup on a member of the Crow Nation. I guess that's Hollywood for you.  ???

That's awesome about the Crow make-up.  But you're right that if the tribe was supposed to be different, that's a big problem.  Native American issues have become especially interesting to me after reading the entire Lonesome Dove series.  Amazing and fascinating.

My curiosity about his make-up had to do with that, but also my crossover obsession with Marilyn Manson.  Knowing that Depp modeled his pirate behavior on Keith Richards (and Depp is old friends with Richards's son, and now Richards himself) I was really wondering about the possible Manson inspriation.  He's also somewhat friendly with Manson.  To a Manson fan the make-up immediately is evocative. (famously, Manson has a goofy crush on Depp... he's mostly heterosexual, but he's talked very openly about his crush on Depp... for what it's worth).

An early example of some of his more elaborate face makeup:

(concert photos from 2000 / 2001)

Depp performing with MM in 2012 :D (I can't get the youtube embed to work, so I'll just post the links)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhN-_VkdSpc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObiNpAk1p-8

Johnny Depp, Marilyn Manson Perform 'Sweet Dreams' & 'Beautiful People'
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/12/johnny-depp-marilyn-manson-perform-video_n_1421354.html

« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 11:43:14 pm by Brown Eyes »
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie