Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1035996 times)

yb

Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #800 on: February 19, 2008, 01:10:24 am »
I didn't see I AM LEGEND at the theatre because of my ongoing grudge against Will Smith, but I know I'll love seeing a deserted and crumbling New York City.  These movies speak to the kid in me.  Same thing with movies about prehistory, it's like seeing all these museum displays and artists' renderings from science books come to life, it's just so..COOL!

Oh!  You should have gone to see I AM LEGEND just to see the trailer of The Dark Knight!  LOL.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #801 on: February 19, 2008, 09:49:56 am »

"No Country" adds honors in pre-Oscar awards blitz

Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:11am EST

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Oscar front-runner "No Country For Old Men" picked up two awards during the weekend as the countdown to the Academy Awards entered its final week.

The film won the top prize in sound mixing at the 44th annual Cinema Audio Society awards on Saturday.

The award was accepting by production mixer Peter Kurland and re-recording mixers Skip Lievsay, Craig Berkey and Gregg Orloff, who will compete at the Oscars on Sunday against the teams from "The Bourne Ultimatum," "Ratatouille," "3:10 to Yuma" and "Transformers."

The grim Western picked up eight Oscar nominations, tying with "There Will Be Blood" as the leading contender.

Also Saturday, "No Country for Old Men" was named best contemporary film at the 12th annual Art Directors Guild awards. The prize was accepted by Jess Gonchor, who did not receive an Oscar nomination.

Instead, two other Art Directors Guild winners "There Will Be Blood" (period film) and "The Golden Compass" (fantasy film) will compete for the Oscar against "American Gangster," "Atonement" and "Sweeney Todd."

But "No Country" was not able to secure a clean sweep during the weekend awards blitz. A day later, "The Bourne Ultimatum" and "Sweeney Todd" won the top prizes at the 58th annual American Cinema Editors Eddie Awards, for drama and musical/comedy, respectively.

"The Bourne Ultimatum" will compete for the Oscar against "No Country," "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly," "Into the Wild" and "There Will Be Blood."

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

http://www.reuters.com/article/filmNews/idUSN1821326220080219
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #802 on: February 19, 2008, 10:33:33 am »
I have been invited to two previews, Honeydripper and Penelope. I'm hoping to see both of them and will post reviews. Wow, this is my first chance to see a movie that isn't at least two years old in a long time!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #803 on: February 19, 2008, 11:18:18 am »
I have been invited to two previews, Honeydripper and Penelope. I'm hoping to see both of them and will post reviews. Wow, this is my first chance to see a movie that isn't at least two years old in a long time!

Both excellent choices, F-R! Honeydripper should be good because how can a John Sayles movie not be. And Penelope I hadn't heard of, so I was curious enough to go to the website just now, and it looks really charming.

A couple of days ago I went to see U2 3D at my local IMAX theater.  Never mind that I am crazy for U2, this film was phenomenal.  The technology was unmatched.  I have been to several live U2 concerts over the years, and this movie was BETTER.

That sounds good, too, susiebk. I think it's coming to my local theater and, though I like U2, I hadn't planned to see it. But now I will try to take it in.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #804 on: February 19, 2008, 01:48:07 pm »
I recently rented AWAY FROM HER and found it a very moving film.  The acting was excellent and the main female character,  Julie Christie , portraying the character Fiona says "I think I may be beginning to disappear."  Like I said it's a good human interest story.

Oh, it's a Canadian film and there only one jab at the United States!  :D   Julie Christie's character is asked by her doctor what movies she has seen recently" Oh, we never go to the movies, it's just the multiplex full of American Hollywood garbage."  Well something to that effect. 

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #805 on: February 28, 2008, 08:29:11 am »
Yesterday I watched 30 DAYS OF NIGHT.  It's a VERY effective horror featuring a couple of great performances by Ben Foster and Danny Huston as the lead vampire and an appropriately brooding Josh Hartnett.  It's quite gory although it's not all about the gore, it's scared the crap out of me!

Offline oilgun

« Reply #806 on: February 28, 2008, 06:20:35 pm »
Ooh, I love vampire stories.  I just added it to my Netflix queue.

You won't regret it, but be warned, these are not your standard Anne Rice-ish sexy & romantic Vampires.  I can't wait to get home and watch it again along with the Director/Josh Hartnett commentary.

Strangely, the movie rates only 50% on Rotten Tomatoes.  There are plot holes of course but the constant tension made them fairly easy to ignore.  I don't know what these critics were expecting from a movie based on a graphic novel.  It's way better than most films in the horror and the based-on-graphic-novel genres.

Here's a review that I agree with by James Berardinelli:

http://www.reelviews.net/movies/t/30_days.html

Aaah, look at that face!  Here's Josh looking tense, no, concerned.  Scared?  Sad?  Determined?  Who cares, he looks gorgeous! :-*

Offline oilgun

« Reply #807 on: February 28, 2008, 07:19:41 pm »
Thanks for the warning, but I don't mind a little blood and gore.  I recently viewed and enjoyed 28 Days Later (zombies as opposed to vampires), and also Underworld with Kate Beckinsale.  Have you seen either film?

The review sounded interesting - thanks for the link.

Yes, I've seen both and really enjoyed 28 Days Later.  I liked Underworld but mostly for Scott Speedman, lol! (Yes I was a Felicity fan, lol!)  Anyway if you like those two than you'll have a blast with this one.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #808 on: February 28, 2008, 08:40:52 pm »
Thanks for the warning, but I don't mind a little blood and gore.  I recently viewed and enjoyed 28 Days Later (zombies as opposed to vampires), and also Underworld with Kate Beckinsale.  Have you seen either film?

The review sounded interesting - thanks for the link.

I liked Underworld - mostly because of the twist of the story and because of all the shenanigans that were going on behind the camera.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #809 on: February 29, 2008, 07:57:09 am »
Has anyone seen Margo At The Wedding?  I watched it yesterday, and I really liked it a lot.   :D

Really? I saw it in the video store and thought about renting it, but it got such lousy reviews. I think it played in the movie theater for 20 minutes or so.
What did you like about it?

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!