Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1025259 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #850 on: March 09, 2008, 11:52:33 pm »
I have no interest in watching Angelina Jolie ever, in a movie, no matter what she is wearing (or not!)...

L

hehe, this movie is certainly not for everybody. Most people I've talked to about it either don't like the cgi effects, or the violence, or AJ. I realized that the main reason I was so enthralled was because of the story. So, I rummaged around in the local library my daughter's room and found the book, and now I am happily reading it!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #851 on: March 09, 2008, 11:59:13 pm »
LOL, the latter, ineed. By adult content, I mean sex and nudity.

Yes, that's what I mean, too, when I talk about movies my sons won't watch with me present. I used to usher them out of the room during the "inappropriate" scenes -- now they want to usher ME out of the room!  :laugh: And if there's any explicit sex or nudity, they won't watch it with me, period!

Violence seems to be omnipresent, even in Bugs Bunny cartoons.

So true. I've tried to keep a lid on it with my kids, but it's a losing battle. Especially when it comes to video games.  :-\

I have no interest in watching Angelina Jolie ever, in a movie, no matter what she is wearing (or not!)...

How come, Leslie? I have only seen her in one or two things, but I thought she was a pretty good actress. I'm not crazy about her real-life escapades, but I blame those more on the tabloid coverage than on her own behavior. I'm curious about your opposition to her.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #852 on: March 10, 2008, 08:04:22 am »
How come, Leslie? I have only seen her in one or two things, but I thought she was a pretty good actress. I'm not crazy about her real-life escapades, but I blame those more on the tabloid coverage than on her own behavior. I'm curious about your opposition to her.

It's not her acting Leslie has against her.

I, on the other hand, am a huge fan - though I don't see everything she does - and am eagerly awaiting Angelina's latest movie Wanted which also stars the hunk from Atonement James McAvoy.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #853 on: March 10, 2008, 09:28:26 am »
I like her too, in many ways.  She is gorgeous, not concerned with what people think, and a decent actress.  I have been a fan since seeing her years ago in Girl Interrupted with Winona Ryder.

Even after what that homewrecking slut did to our "Friend" Jennifer Anniston?!!  :laugh:  Just kidding! 

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #854 on: March 10, 2008, 09:56:23 am »
It's not her acting Leslie has against her.

Yes, Del and I had a long heated debate about AJ back in the day, and in the end, we agreed to disagree about this person.

In most cases, I can easily separate a person's personal life from who they are up on the screen (or stage). But in AJ's case, I have such fundamental disagreements with so many of the things she has said and done, I have lost my "separate-ability." So, for myself, I decided it's just better to stay away. I don't read about her (gossip or serious interviews or anything else) and I won't watch her in movies.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #855 on: March 10, 2008, 12:38:16 pm »
In most cases, I can easily separate a person's personal life from who they are up on the screen (or stage). But in AJ's case, I have such fundamental disagreements with so many of the things she has said and done, I have lost my "separate-ability." So, for myself, I decided it's just better to stay away. I don't read about her (gossip or serious interviews or anything else) and I won't watch her in movies.

That's interesting! I have a pretty good separatability, too. I can watch Tom Cruise, for example, with no problem. The only actor I can think of who I might draw the line with is Mel Gibson. Though if Mel were in a really good movie (which he hasn't been, IMO, in quite a while), it's possible I might go see him. My moral standards in this area are pretty lax  :laugh:  -- either that, or where movies is concerned, I got no resistance.

Now, my husband has a long list of actors he refuses to see in a movie -- many of them seemingly innocent people. Cher, Julia Roberts, Bruce Willis ... if anyone has ever annoyed him on a talk show or something, that's it for that person. Though I probably could talk him into seeing something if it was really really good.

How about the rest of you? What actor(s)/ess(es) do you refuse to go see?

Offline oilgun

« Reply #856 on: March 10, 2008, 02:46:44 pm »
I can only think of one actor that I avoid like the plague:  Steven Seagal. That's because of his lack of acting talent and his sleazy personal life.

I'm getting pretty sick of Will Ferrel, lol!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #857 on: March 10, 2008, 02:55:48 pm »
I can only think of one actor that I avoid like the plague:  Steven Seagal. That's because of his lack of acting talent and his sleazy personal life.

Tell you what, I don't know anything about his personal life and I don't think I've ever seen him act, but I have no problem avoiding his movies!  ;D

Me too!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #858 on: March 10, 2008, 04:00:33 pm »

Steven Seagal! Yuk!

There was a Steven Seagal movie on almost every day during the summer (summer is a very slow tv season over here). I actually didn't know he'd made that many. Or maybe they were reruns, no one would probably notice anyway. I can watch him act  ::) for 5 minutes maximum. Awful movies, really awful.

Tell you what, I don't know anything about his personal life and I don't think I've ever seen him act, but I have no problem avoiding his movies!  ;D

You can say that again!  :laugh:
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline oilgun

« Reply #859 on: March 10, 2008, 07:25:21 pm »
Dakota Fanning.  She's evil.
Speaking of Evil:  The Olson twins!  Ewww!  Man, they give me the creeps!