Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1022365 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #190 on: May 29, 2007, 09:30:01 pm »
I'd love to see that bit, too, Kat - and Geoffrey Rush is always a joy.  But...I...just...can't.

I'm going through another "I refuse to sit through mediocre movies" stage, and I haven't even seen Brokeback lately!
No more beans!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #191 on: May 30, 2007, 08:07:32 pm »
Not to say Pirates III completely sucked.   I enjoyed it, it was just disappointing.  I completed the trilogy and will probably have to buy the DVD just to complete my set.

Jack is still Jack which is always a plus and I did enjoy the quadruple double-crosses they had going at one point.  By the time Keith Richards showed up, I had completely forgotten he was going to be in it.  He looked perfect, played his part perfectly, the director made him comfortable and did not ask too much of him.  Heh.  They probably didn't bother with any makeup for him.

If you do go, it's very long, so don't drink too much before hand and stay for the end of the credits.  Unbeknownst to me, all 3 movies have a final scene at the end of the credits and I missed this one as well.  I'll have to check my DVDs for the others.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #192 on: May 31, 2007, 10:56:42 pm »
Keith Richards, in my book, can pretty much do no wrong (he and I even share initials!). Sounds like his role is too short.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #193 on: June 01, 2007, 07:36:25 pm »
Yesterday I watched Terry Gilliam's Tideland and I'd like to nominate it as one of the most underrated films ever.  The bad press and my disappointment with The Brothers Grimm   prevented me from seeing it at the theatre and now I really regret it. It might well be my favourite Gilliam film ever, I loved it!

Some people have compared it to Pan's Labyrinth because both involve a little girl escaping into a world of fantasy but I think it is superior.   I became emotionally invested in Tideland very early in the film but for some reason with PL, it was the opposite, I lost the connection early on.

I'd love to hear what others thought of it.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #194 on: June 01, 2007, 08:01:18 pm »
Wow - I'll have to check that one out, oilgun.  I *love* "Brazil" - and if you say it's superior even to "Pan's Labyrinth," I'll have to see it.

Thanks for the recommendation.  :)
No more beans!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #195 on: June 02, 2007, 12:37:56 pm »
Yesterday I watched Terry Gilliam's Tideland and I'd like to nominate it as one of the most underrated films ever.  The bad press and my disappointment with The Brothers Grimm   prevented me from seeing it at the theatre and now I really regret it. It might well be my favourite Gilliam film ever, I loved it!

Some people have compared it to Pan's Labyrinth because both involve a little girl escaping into a world of fantasy but I think it is superior.   I became emotionally invested in Tideland very early in the film but for some reason with PL, it was the opposite, I lost the connection early on.

I'd love to hear what others thought of it.
I need to see this, especially since I watched "Lost in La Mancha" last nite about how Don Quixote didn't get made by Gilliam, so I need to see a movie of his that did get made!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #196 on: June 02, 2007, 12:46:20 pm »
Anybody seen Waitress? I'm thinking of going this weekend. It's either that or Pirates, and I have a feeling I'll have a much longer opportunity to see the latter.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #197 on: June 02, 2007, 03:14:51 pm »
I've seen Waitress and LOVED it.  Best time I've had at the movie theater in...  I don't know how long.  It's beautifully-written - the dialogue is so natural and perfect.  Adrienne Shelly totally got how people really talk.  It's such a crying shame that we won't get to see any more films from her.  She was a wonderful director and a very good actor, too.  But Keri Russell is the star here, and she is absolutely adorable in every way.  What a talent.

DON'T miss this one.  I do believe I'd rather see it again, to be honest, than see Pirates for the first time.  It was just so much fun on so many levels.  Even the tough stuff (like watching Jenna struggle through an emotionally abusive marriage) was interesting to watch because Shelly never goes over the top with her dialogue, situations, or actors.

DON'T miss it.  Did I say that already?  ;)
No more beans!

mvansand76

« Reply #198 on: June 02, 2007, 04:30:51 pm »
Has anybody seen Black Snake Moan? It's getting mixed reviews here, so I am not sure if we should go and see it.... :-\

And... I am gonna see Zodiac on the 12th of June! Believe it or not, but it only just came out 2 days ago.... no Jake at the premiere here in Amsterdam though, I wonder why? I wonder why actors hardly ever come to premieres in Holland. Amsterdam is a pretty cool city, right?  :-\

Offline opinionista

« Reply #199 on: June 02, 2007, 07:10:51 pm »
Zodiac opened in Madrid a few weeks ago but i haven't had the chance to see it yet. I also thought Jake was going to be here to promote it but he was in Cannes, instead. He came when Jarhead opened, along with Peter Sarsgaard, but as far as I am concerned hasn't been back since. Kirsten Dunst, however, came to Spidey's opening.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.