Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1025053 times)

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #490 on: December 23, 2007, 12:32:43 am »
Yes, I saw THE FOUNTAIN when it was first released. I found the narrative somewhat hard to follow.  Couldn't figure out if he found the elixir of life after Izzy had died and lived to the 25th century to be finally reunited with her in that nebula.  Silly me, I thought I was going to see a story whereby a conquistador drinks from the Fountain of Youth and lives for a thousand years.  Not that easy.  Well scored and visually interesting....

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #491 on: December 23, 2007, 12:53:27 am »
OK. Checking back. I just finished watching "A River Runs Through It" -- (1992). I thought it was great. The cinematography was beautiful -- 1920's Montana was the setting; I guess that's where it was filmed. Wherever it was, was gorgeous. Along with a young Brad Pitt who was fantastic as the happy-go-lucky, rebellious, alcoholic, fly-fishing expert, younger brother. He was so sweet, tho troubled.

OMG -- he was cute as everything!!

The theme, I think, was basically about "you can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped, no matter how hard you try" and something the father says near the end....."you can love someone completely without understanding them completely".

I'd recommend it. And...I know it's bad to smoke, but there is one scene where the two brothers share a cigarette by the side of the river that is sooooo SEXY.

Oh yeah, Robert Redford's narration was wonderful too.
 ::)
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #492 on: December 23, 2007, 09:37:23 am »
I am seriously thinking I need to sign up for Netflix again. I have so many older movies I want to see these days, Netflix might be the way to go. Thanks for reminding me about "River," Shasta. That was one of those movies I saw years ago, enjoyed, and I have sort of forgotten about. It might be fun to see it again.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #493 on: December 23, 2007, 03:25:12 pm »
Regarding "Charlie Wilson's War," I'm sure everyone will see just what they want to see.  And in my case that means not seeing Reagan as some sort of hero and Carter as some sort of incompetent.  ::)  It does sound like a good movie, though.  Maybe I can go with my conservative brother when I'm in Indiana over the holiday and we can have a knock-down drag-out afterwards.  ;D

I saw "Gods and Monsters" and thought it was terrific.  I'm glad to know something more about Whale and his work, and I always enjoy watching Ian McKellen's take on a character.  It was clever and telling how the screenplay drew parallels between Brendan Fraser's character and Frankenstein's monster.

John Gallagher, Jenny newyearsday and I went to see "I'm Not There" yesterday and had three differing reactions.  She loved it, John hated it and I (in addition to having to fight to stay awake) had mixed feelings about it.  It depends on what you bring to it, maybe.  I can see how it could be taken as ingenious and creative, but it can also seem pretentious and forced.  I mostly enjoyed the parts with Cate Blanchett and Christian Bale because they were most like the Dylan we are familiar with, and you could anchor yourself on that.  The other characters seemed only vaguely relevant to the whole operation.  Heath was good, but he played an actor who was known for his portrayal of a Dylan-like character; although his wife  (Charlotte Gainsbourg) resembled one of Dylan's early girlfriends, I didn't see how his personal life was all that relevant to Dylan.   The movie seemed really long because I never knew where the director was going to end it, so every time he finished one scene and started another, I was like "oh well, here we go again."  I wouldn't not recommend it, but just don't expect a clear story line!  The best thing?  The soundtrack, and a shot at the very end of the real Dylan playing the harmonica.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #494 on: December 23, 2007, 05:04:46 pm »
She loved it, John hated it and I (in addition to having to fight to stay awake) had mixed feelings about it.  It depends on what you bring to it, maybe.

Ever since I've started reading about it, I thought it sounded boring. I think just the idea of several characters playing Dylan was off-putting. That's bad -- I need to see it before I judge it, but I probably won't until it hits CD status. This isn't exactly a glowing review that would cause me to change my mind about it. What did John hate about it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #495 on: December 23, 2007, 05:15:01 pm »
OK. Checking back. I just finished watching "A River Runs Through It" -- (1992). I thought it was great.

Thanks for the reminder, Shasta! I saw this when it came out and loved it. I'd forgot that I'd been thinking of renting it for my kids.

Regarding "Charlie Wilson's War," I'm sure everyone will see just what they want to see.  And in my case that means not seeing Reagan as some sort of hero and Carter as some sort of incompetent.  ::)  It does sound like a good movie, though.  Maybe I can go with my conservative brother when I'm in Indiana over the holiday and we can have a knock-down drag-out afterwards.  ;D

I think this must be true. The script was written by Aaron Sorkin, writer of "The West Wing," which reminded us on a weekly basis, often through well-reasoned argument, how honorable and honest and intelligent and noble and full of integrity liberals are. (I loved it!) But that Afghanastan thing really was/is a complicated situation. Maybe not everything falls easily into liberal vs. conservative terms.

My sons and I saw National Treasure II yesterday. Ehh ... I'd say it was a pretty good movie to take an 11- and 13-year-old to -- they both liked it -- but I did not like it was well as the first one. It was just a bit too ... facile, I guess.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #496 on: December 23, 2007, 09:07:54 pm »
What did John hate about it?

He just felt the whole thing was pretentious, fake posturing on the part of the director and screenwriters.  Nothing about it convinced him that it was exploring Dylan with insight and freshness.  :(

The script was written by Aaron Sorkin, writer of "The West Wing," which reminded us on a weekly basis, often through well-reasoned argument, how honorable and honest and intelligent and noble and full of integrity liberals are.

How refreshing to hear this description of liberals.  It makes me realize how little they stand up for themselves.  Why???  :(
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #497 on: December 24, 2007, 12:11:28 am »

How refreshing to hear this description of liberals.  It makes me realize how little they stand up for themselves.  Why???[/size]

My theory is because we can't depend on our fellow liberals to support us.  After all, liberals are not known for being dogmatic, so we don't have a 'party line' that we all adhere to.  We expect our fellow liberals to have their own minds and own opinions and they may not necessarily mesh with our own.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #498 on: December 24, 2007, 12:13:07 am »
Just come from seeing P.S. I love you.

It was sweet, extremely sad, felt very very long, full of fantasy poor New Yorkers and OMG full of gorgeous men.

P.S. Hilary Swank needs to eat a burger.  Many of them.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #499 on: December 24, 2007, 12:26:19 am »
Just come from seeing P.S. I love you.

It was sweet, extremely sad, felt very very long, full of fantasy poor New Yorkers and OMG full of gorgeous men.

P.S. Hilary Swank needs to eat a burger.  Many of them.

I've had it for Jeffrey Dean Morgan since his time on "Gray's Anatomy". I think he's such a handsome hott HUNK!!! I'm dying to see this movie. I'm meeting my best friend and her daughter halfway next Friday, and I'm going to try to talk them into this one! I'll say dellaluvia recommended it!!!  :P  ;D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~