Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1025700 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #740 on: February 03, 2008, 08:36:38 pm »
Yes, it makes perfect sense. I didn't feel the same way about Atonement, but I know what you mean in principle. Some movies are more enjoyable even if they aren't as "good." For example, I liked Michael Clayton better than No Country for Old Men. But NCFOM is probably better in terms of art.

TWBB is the only nominated film I haven't seen. I was going to see it last night, then I was going to see it today ... now it looks like it will be next weekend.

I hope you see it and report back. It is definitely a movie that has me thinking and I would like to know what others are thinking...

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #741 on: February 03, 2008, 10:02:15 pm »
I saw TWBB yesterday and it left me cold.  Maybe I'm due to see a film where a person is acting in a noble manner.  So many films I've seen of late don't exactly paint an optimistic portrait of  human nature or the future of the human race. 

Don't get me wrong, I liked TWBB very much, but I was expecting DDLewis to start off by being somewhat of a visionary who is eventually torn apart by his lust for oil and wealth. I guess that sounds too Hollywood and that's been done before.  I can't think of much to say about this film without the revelation of potential spoilers.  I probably need to see it again to get some questions answered. 

Interesting article in THE ECONOMIST on why Americans despise the oil industry as illustrated by the likes of TWBB. Oh, those evil oilmen.  >:(

http://www.economist.com/world/na/displaystory.cfm?story_id=10533992

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #742 on: February 04, 2008, 12:16:39 am »
I am curious whether there is any violence to speak of, or 'there will be blood' only metaphorical?

I watched Hedwig and the Angry Inch this afternoon and love, love, loved it!  Who knew I had such an inner East Berlin-punk rockin-transgendered soul?  One of my favorite [heart-breaking] lines - "It's what I have to work with..."
Too bad the movie has to go back tomorrow, or I'd have the soundtrack on autoplay for days...

On another topic, have y'all seen previews for Wall E?  (There was one during the super bowl tonight, and also, I think one at Nat'l Treasure 2.)  I think it looks real cute.

:)
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #743 on: February 04, 2008, 02:11:37 am »
Wal-E does look cute. I saw a commercial, too.

I rewatched Blood Diamond and 3:10 to Yuma (second time for both) this weekend with my sons. They liked both, though preferred the latter. I'm still bummed that 3:10 didn't get nominated for anything. I think Christian Bale and Russell Crowe were very viable as best actor/best-supporting actor.

And while I wouldn't nominate Leonardo DiCaprio on the basis of Blood Diamond, I thought he was very good in it.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #744 on: February 04, 2008, 06:06:39 am »
And while I wouldn't nominate Leonardo DiCaprio on the basis of Blood Diamond, I thought he was very good in it.

I also thought his performance was good but not enough for a best actor nomination. I think he was nominated because he spoke English with an African accent during the entire movie.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #745 on: February 04, 2008, 07:41:14 am »
I am curious whether there is any violence to speak of, or 'there will be blood' only metaphorical?

There is some violence but it is not wall-to-wall blood like you see in "Munich" or "The Departed." I don't like really violent movies and this one didn't bother me.

On another topic, have y'all seen previews for Wall E?  (There was one during the super bowl tonight, and also, I think one at Nat'l Treasure 2.)  I think it looks real cute.

:)

Yes, I have seen the previews for that. It does look cute.

Previews at the movies yesterday: The Duchess, with Keira Knightley; Young at Heart (a documentary about old folks who sing rock and rolls songs, it looks like fun) and Defiance, with Daniel Craig and Liev Schrieber.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #746 on: February 04, 2008, 07:42:34 am »
Wal-E does look cute. I saw a commercial, too.

I rewatched Blood Diamond and 3:10 to Yuma (second time for both) this weekend with my sons. They liked both, though preferred the latter. I'm still bummed that 3:10 didn't get nominated for anything. I think Christian Bale and Russell Crowe were very viable as best actor/best-supporting actor.

I still think Ben Foster should have gotten Best Supporting Actor. It was a good movie and I am disappointed that it didn't get nominated for anything.

L

Offline opinionista

« Reply #747 on: February 04, 2008, 08:12:44 am »
I know this has been discussed already but us in Europe get to see movies later  >:(

Anyway, I went to see Juno and I totally loved it!!!! I'm not sure if it'll actually win anything but I am glad it is among the best picture nom movies. I thought it was very well done and well acted. I think this year No Country for Old Men will take all awards. Can't wait to see it. It opens this weekend.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #748 on: February 04, 2008, 09:36:07 am »
I know this has been discussed already but us in Europe get to see movies later  >:(

Anyway, I went to see Juno and I totally loved it!!!! I'm not sure if it'll actually win anything but I am glad it is among the best picture nom movies. I thought it was very well done and well acted. I think this year No Country for Old Men will take all awards. Can't wait to see it. It opens this weekend.

I still haven't gotten to Juno but it is on my list.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #749 on: February 04, 2008, 11:24:47 am »
I still think Ben Foster should have gotten Best Supporting Actor. It was a good movie and I am disappointed that it didn't get nominated for anything.

Me too. I think it's victim of that Oscar amnesia, where if a movie is released too early it gets overshadowed by the big holiday films. That's the only explanation that makes sense to me, because it is one of my two or three favorite movies from last year.

I'm not sure if it'll actually win anything but I am glad it is among the best picture nom movies. I thought it was very well done and well acted. I think this year No Country for Old Men will take all awards. Can't wait to see it. It opens this weekend.

I actually think the competition will be between Juno and There Will Be Blood. I think people who might be inclined to vote for NCFOM will vote for TWBB instead, because they're very vaguely similar, and while I haven't seen Blood I'm judging by reviews that it's more acclaimed. Juno is something completely different, and will compete on its own terms. So it comes down to whether the voters will be in more of a Little Miss Sunshine mood, in which case Juno will win, or a Departed mood, in which case Blood will win.

When it gets closer to the ceremony, we'll have to place our bets!  :)