Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1025756 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #950 on: May 31, 2008, 02:46:43 pm »
Regarding "Sex in the City," two of the women on The View (Sherry and Elizabeth) saw a preview and were gushing like crazy over it.  I also saw a positive review on CBS Sunday Morning.  It seems to be one of those things you love or hate.  I think I'd be in the latter category, having watched only two episodes.  They struck me as crass and unfunny and hardly a compliment to women liviing in NYC.  It seemed like just another show encouraging women to equate self-esteem with clothes, jobs, boyfriends and hipness, and the writing and acting did not make up for it.  ::)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #951 on: May 31, 2008, 03:14:25 pm »
I'm with you, Meryl.  I saw exactly one episode, in middle-of-nowhere Montana with friends who had a big satellite dish!  The whole show was about the women complaining of the taste of their bfs', um, body fluids.  That was enough for me.   :P

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #952 on: May 31, 2008, 04:12:11 pm »

It seemed like just another show encouraging women to equate self-esteem with clothes, jobs, boyfriends and hipness, and the writing and acting did not make up for it.  ::)

That's exactly what I expected to feel about it. Don't get me wrong, not that I don't consider clothes, jobs, boyfriends and hipness important ;D  but I don't like to think they're ALL that matters.

Besides, I never spend more than $100 on shoes, hardly ever wear heels higher than an inch or two tall, and have a hard time identifying with those who spend $500 to teeter 4 inches above the sidewalk.

I'd watch a shoe show where the women are all obsessed with Clarks and Merrells rather than Manolo Blahnik and Jimmy Choo.  :laugh:

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #953 on: May 31, 2008, 04:24:54 pm »
I like Naturalizers and Timberlands, myself.  :)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #954 on: May 31, 2008, 05:34:24 pm »
I like Naturalizers and Timberlands, myself.  :)

I'd drink a Cosmopolitan shot of Old Rose to that!  :D

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #955 on: June 02, 2008, 09:25:57 pm »
I am disappointed to report that they have started filming a sequel to Donnie Darko.  D.D. is one of my favorite movies and I can't believe they are doing this.  Filming started 5/18.  Only the actress that played Donnie's little sister will be in the film. No one else connected with Donnie Darko is involved with the film.   It sounds rather similar to the first film in many aspects.

The synopsis here might give away to many SPOILERS for some.

S. Darko takes place in the summer of 1995, seven years after the original film. It follows Donnie Darko's younger sister, Samantha (Daveigh Chase), who, in the wake of his death, has found herself at age 17 with a broken family, mired in feelings of insignificance. She and her best friend Corey (Evigan) set off on a road trip to Hollywood in a bid to 'make it big', but their journey is cut short when their car breaks down unexpectedly, leaving them stranded in a small desert town. When a meteorite happens to crash-land nearby, Samantha is plagued by bizarre visions telling of the universe's end and it appears that their breakdown was part of some grander plan. She must face her own demons and, in doing so, save the world and herself [Source Wikipedia]

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1231277/synopsis
Here's a brief synopsis.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #956 on: June 02, 2008, 09:47:16 pm »
Oh, Karl, how sad.  Should have left "bizarre" enough alone.

I, too, love Donnie Darko.  In fact, there was a stage play version of it here in Cambridge, MA last fall.  It was brilliant.  I went with a few friends on Halloween.  Chris Cooper was in the audience (he lives near here).  There's one degree of separation from Jake (Jarhead).

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #957 on: June 03, 2008, 04:25:25 pm »
I saw this amazing, amazing film last night (at Film Forum, West Houston near 6th Avenue in New York)

THE EDGE OF HEAVEN
A FILM BY FATIH AKIN

"Auf der anderen Seite" ("On the other side" or "On the other hand") (2007)

Cannes 2007: Won Best Screenplay by Fatih Akin

http://www.filmforum.org/
Trailer:
http://www.filmforum.org/films/edgetrailer.html
IMDb:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0880502/

"RIVETING!" – David Ansen, Newsweek

"The latest from HEAD-ON'S Fatih Akin is another cross-cultural stunner. This detour into Altmanesque territory suggests a dramatic leap forward, and the performance by Fassbinder muse Hanna Schygulla is, in a word, heavenly." – David Fear, Time Out NY

LIKE FATIH AKIN'S PREVIOUS FEATURE, THE SMASHINGLY SUCCESSFUL HEAD-ON, THE EDGE OF HEAVEN spans the uneasy relationship between two cultures, Germany and Turkey. German born and educated, of Turkish descent, the filmmaker fashions a complex story with six protagonists whose lives become inextricably linked. Ayten, a Kurdish activist wanted by the German authorities, is harbored by Lotte, a German student whose political naivete is offset by her sexual agenda. Fassbinder muse Hanna Schygulla plays Lotte's suspicious mother with understated hauteur. It's a riveting story of intergenerational conflict between grown children and their parents, the clash of values between East and West and the edgy relationship between conventional and gay sexuality. Akin throws into the mix his special knowledge of how Europe's borders are disappearing, bringing people together in random, dangerous, exciting and sometimes fatal ways.

GERMANY/TURKEY • 2007 • 122 MINUTES • IN GERMAN, TURKISH & ENGLISH WITH ENGLISH SUBTITLES •

LA 5/30
Chicago 6/13
Washington, D.C. 6/20
Boston 6/27
SF 7/11
San Diego 7/18
Philadelphia 8/1
Minneapolis 8/8
Seattle 8/15
Atlanta 9/5
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 06:14:25 pm by jmmgallagher »
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #958 on: June 04, 2008, 01:38:10 am »
'Brothers' is on tv tonight. The original Danish version. I'm curious about this film, I've wanted to see it ever since I heard about the American remake.

from imdb:

Michael has everything under control: a successful military career, a beautiful wife and two daughters. His younger brother Jannik is a drifter, living on the edge of the law. When Michael is sent to Afghanistan on a UN mission the balance between the two brothers changes forever. Michael is missing in action - presumed dead - and Sarah is comforted by Jannik, who against all odds shows himself capable of taking responsibility for both himself and the family. It soon becomes clear that their feelings have developed beyond mutual sympathy. When Michael comes home, traumatized by being held prisoner in the mountains of Afghanistan, nothing is the same...
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #959 on: June 04, 2008, 10:06:19 pm »
Someone I know saw the Sex & the City yesterday and really enjoyed it.  Still, I find I can't relate a whole lot to the lives and issues of those women, even though I did watch the show on occasion when it was on the air.  Y'all have me laughing about the shoes.  My days of spiked heels are largely over, although there are a few of them in the back of the closet.  I try to blend style and comfort, regardless of brand.

Hey, I love love love spike heels.  The idea behind $500 high end high heels is that they're designed better than the $40 pumps you buy at your local mall.  The heel portion inside the shoe is designed like a bucket seat, so all your weight - instead of sliding down the front of your shoe and pinching your toes and instep - rocks back and rests on the heel portion of your foot, more in line with the long bones of the leg and therefore the hip and spine.  That's why movie stars do say the 'shoes are comfortable' and they can wear those shoes longer than we mortal women.

Or that's what I've read anyway.  Unless I win the lotto, I'm never going to know.  8)