Author Topic: Happy Longerdays!  (Read 15707 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Happy Longerdays!
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2021, 11:49:46 am »
I'm getting ready for Longerdays! Getting out my lighter, smudging supplies, and little candle that I got on the Isle of Lewis when I visited there for the Equinox in 2010.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2021, 01:56:58 pm »
I remind myself now and then throughout the day that we've arrived at Longerdays. Very comforting!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2021, 01:33:08 pm »
I remind myself now and then throughout the day that we've arrived at Longerdays. Very comforting!

Yes! And I try to gauge wether darkness comes noticeably later already. :laugh: I'm not sure about it, but I do think it's getting brighter in the mornings. Hard to be sure however since I have a lovely period off work and get to sleep in every day.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2021, 04:22:32 pm »

Yes! And I try to gauge wether darkness comes noticeably later already. :laugh: I'm not sure about it, but I do think it's getting brighter in the mornings. Hard to be sure however since I have a lovely period off work and get to sleep in every day.

This is one reason why I enjoy getting an almanac geared to the latitude where I live. It gives the time of sunrise and sunset every day, so it's possible to track the times of sunrise and sunset and watch sunrise get earlier and sunset later as the world moves from winter toward spring. In addition, at the beginning of each week, there is a notice of the length of the day. For example, this Sunday the length of the day is given as 9 hours 25 minutes. Next Sunday it's 9 hours 32 minutes. That's a gain of 7 minutes.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2021, 08:03:34 am »
This is one reason why I enjoy getting an almanac geared to the latitude where I live. It gives the time of sunrise and sunset every day, so it's possible to track the times of sunrise and sunset and watch sunrise get earlier and sunset later as the world moves from winter toward spring. In addition, at the beginning of each week, there is a notice of the length of the day. For example, this Sunday the length of the day is given as 9 hours 25 minutes. Next Sunday it's 9 hours 32 minutes. That's a gain of 7 minutes.

7 minutes gained in one week, yay! That's exactly what I need to hear in winter and why I like Longerdays so much :laugh:
Good idea with the almanach. :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2022, 05:43:47 pm »
Goodbye to 8 pm sunsets in Denver. Tonight will be the last one until May 2023.  :-\
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2022, 08:20:33 pm »
Goodbye to 8 pm sunsets in Denver. Tonight will be the last one until May 2023.  :-\

According to my almanac, the last one here will be on Saturday.  :(

Just now when I went to check, I saw I had not turned the almanac page over to August. Just too distracted lately.

The moon was full last night. As it was rising it looked like a wheel of Gouda cheese.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2022, 10:15:28 am »
I just checked this site, it says sunset today will be at 8:01, and sunset on Saturday will be 7:59.

I'm not sure how the site works, and if there would be different times for different areas.

https://www.suntoday.org/sunrise-sunset/2022.html

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2022, 11:20:33 am »
Yes, you can set your location. When I pulled it up it was set for Denver. In Minneapolis, today's sunset is at 8:26. One of the few advantages of living this far north. By the end of the month it will be at 7:54.

Although then I plugged in Grand Marais, MN, a small vacation town up by the Canadian border. I've always thought sunset seemed especially late up there. But this table has it slightly earlier than here -- 8:21 and 7:46, respectively.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2022, 01:50:38 pm »
Yes, you can set your location. When I pulled it up it was set for Denver. In Minneapolis, today's sunset is at 8:26. One of the few advantages of living this far north. By the end of the month it will be at 7:54.

Although then I plugged in Grand Marais, MN, a small vacation town up by the Canadian border. I've always thought sunset seemed especially late up there. But this table has it slightly earlier than here -- 8:21 and 7:46, respectively.

It's the funniest thing. We've had this discussion before, and I still don't get it.  :laugh:

I know our seasons come about because of the tilt of the earth's axis roughly 25.5 degrees, and I know "the sun doesn't set above the Artic Circle" in high summer. Yet as I visualize the sun "moving south" from the summer solstice to the autumn equinox, I still don't get why it doesn't get dark earlier "up north." It still seems counterfactual to me, even though I observed the phenomenon first had when I made my big cross-country train trip. It was later in the summer, and when the train stopped in northern Montana, it was light later in the evening than it would be back home.  :laugh:

Maybe what I should do is the old science class trick of sticking a pencil through a styrofoam ball and moving it around a light bulb.  ;D  Then I have to make sure I have the pencil tilted enough and in the right direction.  :laugh: