Author Topic: Happy Longerdays!  (Read 15677 times)

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Happy Longerdays!
« on: December 22, 2017, 04:08:37 pm »
I think this is our first exclusively BetterMost holiday: Longerdays!

(with thanks to serious crayons and Pentheslea)

Happy Longerdays, everyone!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
Re: Happy Longerdays!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 12:09:52 pm »
Thank you, Lee! And same to you!

The sun is now up for a few seconds longer each day. I can't say the difference is ever very noticeable, for me at least, until at least mid-February. But it's nice to know it's happening.

Here's an interesting article with great maps about how the solstice works, how daylight times differ in other parts of the country, how sunrise and sunset don't start expanding at the same rate, why the coldest part of winter usually follows the solstice (and differs by weeks, Lee, between CO and MN). Sorry, non-US Brokies, it's from the Washington Post and is very US-centric, but it will give you information you can loosely apply to your own geography.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/12/21/winter-solstice-2017-five-things-you-should-know-about-the-shortest-day-of-the-year/?utm_term=.39d10c729ec8

And here's a chart showing how the coldest, warmest and in-betweenest times tend to follow a Dec-Feb, March-May etc. pattern. Apparently these are called meteorological seasons (based on weather), while the solstice-equinox system is called astronomical seasons, and the writer advocates for adopting the former.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/12/01/this-chart-shows-why-winter-should-without-question-officially-begin-dec-1/?utm_term=.99eab5b7452e

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 03:25:18 pm »
Happy Longerdays!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 05:33:09 am »
Here's an interesting article with great maps about how the solstice works,

Cool maps, thanks for sharing :).

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 03:47:44 pm »
I think this is our first exclusively BetterMost holiday: Longerdays!

You're right! It's very Brokieish.

Of course, we always keep a special place in our hearts for Brokie Thanksgiving. And, to a lesser extent, the Fourth of July.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 05:25:15 pm »
Five years ago, I posted this on this day:

Some surprise good news. TODAY is the earliest sunset of the season. Sunrises will continue getting later and later until the 21st. Thanks to Earl Mellor
 for the info.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2020, 07:56:10 pm »
Some surprise good news. TODAY is the earliest sunset of the season. Sunrises will continue getting later and later until the 21st. Thanks to Earl Mellor  for the info.

Apologies if I asked you this same question five years ago, but why?

I will say the sun set plenty early tonight. It was cloudy, which exacerbates the effect, but it was dark by 4:30 at least.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2020, 08:18:57 pm »
Maybe this just applies to approximately the latitude of Philadelphia, but the almanac I use gives the length of the day (meaning daylight) for each Sunday. Today the length was 9 hours, 27 minutes. Next Sunday it will be 9 hours, 22 minutes. On December 20, the day before the Winter Solstice, the length will be 9 hours, 20 minutes. On December 27, the length will have crept back up to 9 hours, 22 minutes.

(I forgot today is St. Nicholas' Day, and next Sunday is St. Lucy's Day.)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2020, 08:37:26 pm »
Well, explaining this is beyond both my math and astronomy skills, but I found a chart that showed the sunsets getting earlier through Dec. 13 but then moving later starting the 14th. The speed at which they change increases as they go along. The sunrises get later throughout the month (by a minute every day or two in each case).

But the daylength is shortest on Dec. 21 and then starts increasing by a few seconds a day on Dec. 22.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2020, 05:11:34 pm »
Apologies if I asked you this same question five years ago, but why?     

It's kind of complicated. This site explains it rather well:
https://abc7ny.com/winter-solstice-latest-sunrise-earliest-sunset-solar-time/8593291/

NYC had its earliest sunset on the 7th. Here in Denver, it's happening around 4:35 pm each day.