Author Topic: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything  (Read 152392 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything
« Reply #520 on: April 20, 2021, 12:28:34 pm »
I really don't know what they think.  Because it's under emergency authorization, the vaccine can't be "mandatory".

I can understand that people are leery of being injected with something that hasn't gone through lengthy clinical trials, but the alternative seems far worse.

Unfun fact: It took me a few seconds to remember what clinical trials are called because I keep thinking criminal trials, what with the George Floyd verdict due at any time and potential resulting mayhem.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #521 on: April 20, 2021, 01:22:18 pm »
I can understand that people are leery of being injected with something that hasn't gone through lengthy clinical trials, but the alternative seems far worse.

I'll confess to lingering concerns about the efficacy because of how quickly the vaccines were produced, and also, now, because of the variant strains, but, obviously, my concerns have not kept me from getting vaccinated; I've had the first dose, after all. It's the responsible thing to do, even if it provides only limited and partial protection. And I'm not afraid of the vaccine.

Even with my concerns, I think it would be a good thing if the current vaccines can give "breathing room" to develop other/better vaccines, or maybe a combination covid-flu vaccine.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #522 on: April 20, 2021, 08:29:35 pm »
and just as a reminder that Covid hasn't gone anywhere yet,  a friend of mine from Florida posted on his FB page that his wife has covid, and he had to rush her to the hospital.  They treated her and sent her home, because there was no room for her, the hospital is overcrowded with covid patients.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #523 on: April 21, 2021, 10:12:10 am »
I'll confess to lingering concerns about the efficacy because of how quickly the vaccines were produced, and also, now, because of the variant strains, but, obviously, my concerns have not kept me from getting vaccinated; I've had the first dose, after all. It's the responsible thing to do, even if it provides only limited and partial protection.

and just as a reminder that Covid hasn't gone anywhere yet,  a friend of mine from Florida posted on his FB page that his wife has covid, and he had to rush her to the hospital.  They treated her and sent her home, because there was no room for her, the hospital is overcrowded with covid patients.

The way I look at it, if the vaccine has been out for a while and COVID cases are still high, the vaccine must be working. Because if vaccinated people were still getting COVID in large numbers we'd be hearing about it. I don't think it's hundert percent foolproof, but with the disease still swirling around the vaccinated people have plenty of opportunities to get COVID and if they haven't (very often, anyway), that's saying something.

If I were an anti-vaxxer, my biggest concern would not be the efficacy of the vaccine, but the fact that they're using it to plant tracking microchips to control humanity, courtesy of Bill Gates without lengthy clinical trials, leaving open the possibility that there might be some unwelcome longer-term side effects not yet discovered.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #524 on: April 25, 2021, 01:16:44 pm »
What do people think? Will we have a fourth wave? Or will we escape it. I understand there's a wave going on in Europe. Is that true? How awful if it is!

Yes, we're in the middle of the third wave.

Re vaccines: in Germany the use of the AstraZeneca vaccine has been stopped for people under 60 years. There is a connection between AstraZeneca and cerebral venous thrombosis (? Not sure about the medical term) in people under 60. The risk to develop said thrombosis is low, lower than the risk of getting a bad case of Covid19, but it does exist.
Now everybody under 60 gets Biontech (Pfizer for you Americans) or Moderna.

I've had my first vax shot with AstraZeneca. Now there's he question of which vaccine to use for my second shot. I get offered Biontech, but could also take AstraZeneca again, on my own risk. I'm not sure what to do. My daughter (who has just ended her medical studies) isn't sure either, but says she would rather advise against AstraZeneca and take the Biontech one.
However, these two are different kinds of vaccines; one is a vector vaccine, the other one is a MRNA vaccine (again, not sure about the medical terms, I just translated them). Nobody knows about the effectiveness if you combine these two.

On a positive note, both of my girls are eligible to get vaccinated since they work resp. have internships in jobs that give you prioritization rights. They both get Biontech from the get-go (I got my first shot earlier, before they stopped AstraZeneca).

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #525 on: April 25, 2021, 03:02:17 pm »
What a mess! Keep us apprised of what you decide to do.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #526 on: April 25, 2021, 08:39:26 pm »
Yes, Chrissi, please keep us posted.

I get my second shot on Wednesday.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #527 on: April 26, 2021, 03:44:41 am »
Yes, Chrissi, please keep us posted.

I get my second shot on Wednesday.

Any reactions to the second shot?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #528 on: April 26, 2021, 01:39:56 pm »
I had the Phizer second shot and my only reaction was sleepiness/tiredness.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #529 on: April 26, 2021, 03:24:49 pm »
I had the Phizer second shot and my only reaction was sleepiness/tiredness.

A friend of mine had that reaction, too. I don't know what time of day he had his shot, but I woke him up when I phoned him about 8:00 that evening.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.