Author Topic: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything  (Read 151933 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Corona - what does help you? Your fears, thoughts, everything
« Reply #530 on: April 26, 2021, 11:20:01 pm »
Any reactions to the second shot?

I haven't gotten it yet, Chrissi.  I get it this Wednesday, the 28th.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #531 on: April 27, 2021, 08:53:21 am »
I haven't gotten it yet, Chrissi.  I get it this Wednesday, the 28th.

Mine is set for 1:05 p.m. tomorrow.

I had a bit of a time getting the appointment. It seems I frequently have trouble deciding which key to push whenever I get one those electronic menus. The Walgreens electronic system wanted to give me an appointment at a different store from where I got the first shot. I didn't think that was such a good idea. Finally I decided to walk over to the store where I got the first shot. I figured the worst they could do was tell me No, and then I would go back to the phone and take what I could get and hope it was close by. So I walked over to the store and got an appointment.

Meanwhile, when I woke up this morning, the Eighties-Nineties radio station was playing "It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)," by R.E.M.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #532 on: April 27, 2021, 09:42:51 am »
Meanwhile, when I woke up this morning, the Eighties-Nineties radio station was playing "It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)," by R.E.M.

Yes, I recently read that song has stuck in people's heads lately -- a real instance of the Toto Africa phenomenon.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #533 on: April 27, 2021, 11:39:10 am »
Yes, I recently read that song has stuck in people's heads lately -- a real instance of the Toto Africa phenomenon.

Well, it has here!  :laugh:

It's pretty amazing how Michael Stipe gets out those lyrics.

(The next song they played was "Margaritaville."  ;D )
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #534 on: April 27, 2021, 02:44:44 pm »
It's pretty amazing how Michael Stipe gets out those lyrics.

Yeah, I've always wondered if that song counts as rapping. I don't think so, but I'm not sure exactly why. Something about the rhythm, maybe?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #535 on: April 27, 2021, 03:31:01 pm »
Yeah, I've always wondered if that song counts as rapping. I don't think so, but I'm not sure exactly why. Something about the rhythm, maybe?

I wouldn't count it as rapping. The delivery reminds me of--something--but I can't place it. Maybe it was some song about the 1980s that I used to hear over the speakers at my gym, but I can't recall that either, and I'm certain I never knew who did it. It's almost like some sort of chant until he gets to the chorus.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #536 on: April 27, 2021, 08:35:27 pm »
I wouldn't count it as rapping. The delivery reminds me of--something--but I can't place it. Maybe it was some song about the 1980s that I used to hear over the speakers at my gym, but I can't recall that either, and I'm certain I never knew who did it. It's almost like some sort of chant until he gets to the chorus.

Well, that's kind of what rapping is like -- saying rhyming phrases tunelessly between choruses -- right? Some rappers are more tuneless than Michael Stipe, but then all other REM songs have tunes, so it's a novelty for Stipe. Eminem can chant even faster than Stipe does in ItEotWaWKI.

I do think there's a diffaerence in rhythm or beat, but I don't really understand that stuff. Someone more familiar with rap might ....

... OK, I just texted one of my sons. He said: "I feel like just stylistically it doesn't really fit as rap." That seems true, if a little lacking in definitiveness. Certainly the subject matter and kinds of things they talk about are different.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #537 on: April 27, 2021, 09:52:34 pm »
Well, that's kind of what rapping is like -- saying rhyming phrases tunelessly between choruses -- right? Some rappers are more tuneless than Michael Stipe, but then all other REM songs have tunes, so it's a novelty for Stipe. Eminem can chant even faster than Stipe does in ItEotWaWKI.

I do think there's a diffaerence in rhythm or beat, but I don't really understand that stuff. Someone more familiar with rap might ....

... OK, I just texted one of my sons. He said: "I feel like just stylistically it doesn't really fit as rap." That seems true, if a little lacking in definitiveness. Certainly the subject matter and kinds of things they talk about are different.

I know nothing about rap except that it's a thing. I was under the impression that the lyrics were (probably) slower than Stipe.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #538 on: April 27, 2021, 11:11:26 pm »
Here is my version of early rap:  it's from 1955, "Guys and Dolls".  Whadya think?

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #539 on: April 27, 2021, 11:17:06 pm »
And then there was this, from "Music Man" (1957), also early rap, in my opinion.