Author Topic: On buckets, eagles, impatience, and...  (Read 85736 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: On buckets, eagles, impatience, and...
« Reply #100 on: May 12, 2007, 01:36:59 pm »
I'm bringing my bucket to the BBQ, and Ennis is bringing his coffeepot! They shall have a place of honor! Be sure to join us!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #101 on: May 12, 2007, 02:04:29 pm »
I'm bringing my bucket to the BBQ, and Ennis is bringing his coffeepot! They shall have a place of honor! Be sure to join us!!

Lee, are you bringing a canvas bucket or a bucket with ashes in it...  or both?
 ;D
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Artiste

« Reply #102 on: May 12, 2007, 04:38:18 pm »
Wish I could bring my bucket, but I can NOT this year!!

Anyone bringing a bucket to carry those cans of beans??

Hugs!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #103 on: May 17, 2007, 10:00:16 am »
Lee, are you bringing a canvas bucket or a bucket with ashes in it...  or both?
 ;D

Actually what I am bringing is what could be called a pot. A stockpot, actually.

Last nite at a BBQ planning meeting we were musing about how Ennis the camp tender is just finishing up cooking the eggs just as Jack rides into camp. Jack can dismount and chow down...Ennis probly kept track of Jack's progress down the mountain. Jack, on the other hand, had a different approach as camp tender. Ennis was shown with shirt off, half shaved already, while Jack was still cooking. And Jack was paring potatoes (for dinner?) and slipping them into a pot (yes a pot again) while Ennis was still performing his ablutions (warshing everything he could reach!) Hopefully those potatoes were for a future meal!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #104 on: May 17, 2007, 10:45:30 am »
Lucky you.

Lucky will be too the ones liking your meal!

Enjoy!

Hugs!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #105 on: November 17, 2007, 09:13:31 pm »

Heya,

I've just finished watching BBM tonight and am filled with observations tonight.

Remind me... is Jack the bucket or the coffeepot?  I think there are different ways to interpret which cowboy is which object.  Am I correct in thinking that Jack's more often seen as the bucket?

But, something I found very striking during this viewing is that when Jack and Ennis start arguing during the "maybe Texas" camping trip when Ennis is washing dishes in the stream... Ennis loses the bucket (specifically the bucket) which starts to float down stream.  It's the bucket that he's chasing after in the stream as that scene concludes.  It seems that this is very foreboding... and maybe an indication that things are slipping between Jack and Ennis... that Ennis's hold on Jack is becoming more tenuous or more problematic.  Maybe it's a warning to Ennis that he needs to watch out or work harder to hold on to Jack, etc.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #106 on: November 17, 2007, 09:36:41 pm »
But, something I found very striking during this viewing is that when Jack and Ennis start arguing during the "maybe Texas" camping trip when Ennis is washing dishes in the stream... Ennis loses the bucket (specifically the bucket) which starts to float down stream.  It's the bucket that he's chasing after in the stream as that scene concludes.  It seems that this is very foreboding... and maybe an indication that things are slipping between Jack and Ennis... that Ennis's hold on Jack is becoming more tenuous or more problematic.  Maybe it's a warning to Ennis that he needs to watch out or work harder to hold on to Jack, etc.

Hi Bud,

I usually think of Jack as the coffee pot and Ennis as the bucket, because Ennis is more often shown with some kind of bucket interaction. But maybe the relationship is more abstract than that.

Maybe instead of vessel=character, it's bucket=relationship, coffee pot=love, or something of that nature.

When Ennis is standing in the stream, watching Jack ride up the mountain, is he washing a coffee pot or a bucket? Either way, this action seems very significant.

When Ennis goes shivering into the tent, he knocks over a bucket, which falls clanging to the ground, as if some kind of relationship equilibrium is being upset.

The next morning, the coffee pot and bucket are side by side, as they are again in the dozy embrace, right? The two are together.

When Alma storms off to work, signaling trouble in their marriage, Ennis kicks over a bucket full of ashes, I gather representing the ashes of their marriage.

And, yes, when Ennis loses his grip on the bucket and lets it float downstream, I think it's about him losing his hold on the relationship.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #107 on: November 17, 2007, 10:06:09 pm »
Actually, you'll notice if you look carefully that everytime Jack appears on the mountain, there is some kind of bucket or pot near him. And Ennis seems to be more closely related to the coffeepot. But at certain crucial parts of the story/film, the symbols stand for the other person. Just the same as the animal symbols cross over. Altho Ennis's animal is definitely four-footed, at one point Jack is described as trembling "like a run-out horse." And tho Jack is definitely a winged animal such as the eagle whose feather he wears in his hatband, Ennis is described as lying "spread-eagled" on the bed. So it can be confusing, but also incredibly poignant that, as their stories become enmeshed, so do their symbolic references, and they entertwine like the acoustic and the slide guitars in the musical accompaniments.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #108 on: November 21, 2007, 07:46:40 pm »
Thanks Front-Ranger!

Wow, your points are surprising!!

Ennis is spread like an eagle, you say, and when was he??

Hugs!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #109 on: November 21, 2007, 08:04:45 pm »
Thanks Front-Ranger!

Wow, your points are surprising!!

Ennis is spread like an eagle, you say, and when was he??

Hugs!

Yup, Artiste, and he was half-tumescent too! hehe! That was when he and Jack reunited after four long years apart, in the story version, not the movie.