Author Topic: On buckets, eagles, impatience, and...  (Read 85828 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: On buckets, eagles, impatience, and...
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2006, 10:26:08 pm »
I wonder if there's a different reading of the bucket floating down the river. If the water flow is their love as has been often suggested, there was a chance for Ennis, the bucket, to catch that flow and just ride the water to happiness, as Jack repeated offer. But he doesn't, he runs after the bucket and stops it, himself. There was a chance for happiness, if only he'd just let go of control. After all, his happy moments were when he was out of control, weren't they? Tents, reunion kiss, Jack?

Heya starboardlight... I really like this idea about Ennis being most happy when he's out of control.  It makes the line "there ain't no reigns on this one" seem even more interesting.

OK, so I have a bucket question.  We've noted the swing-set scene where Ennis kicks the bucket that seems to be filled with sand.  It's one of the only scenes I can think of where a bucket isn't either empty or filled with water.  Anyway... what is the significance of that scene in general.  It's positioned in a really important place in the film... right after the "prayer of thanks" camping trip.  Lee cuts from Jack caressing Ennis's face to this scene.  It's a pretty jarring and abrupt change.  Other than just showing the deteriorating nature of things in Alma and Ennis's relationship... what's the point?  Also, I wonder if Alma is already seeing Monroe at this point in the movie.  She's going to take an "extra" evening shift.  I wonder if this is a pretext to sneak off to see Monroe.  Or, at least it shows that Alma is already wanting to spend more and more time at the grocery store (and presumably around Monroe).
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2006, 10:49:52 pm »
I always thought the bucket looked like it was full of ashes. So I took that as a symbol of what Ennis & Alma's relationship is like, compared to the fresh water in Ennis & Jack's. Sand would work too, I guess. It's the first time we see Ennis back to his regular life post-reunion, and the ashes/sand symbolize how dull and bereft it feels compared to his fun with Jack.

I really doubt Alma was seeing Monroe before the divorce. To me, Monroe seems like a fallback, a substitute (what IS the right idiom to describe Monroe's role? Sloppy seconds?). As symbolized by the electric knife, which I always assumed is meant, in part, to suggest a vibrator (is it only me who thinks this? or does everybody else think it's so obvious it's hardly worth mentioning, or what?). Like that's what Monroe is to Alma -- something you turn to when your man isn't available.

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2006, 10:51:31 pm »
Also, I wonder if Alma is already seeing Monroe at this point in the movie.  She's going to take an "extra" evening shift.  I wonder if this is a pretext to sneak off to see Monroe. 

I suspected that, as well.

Though, Katherine, I've never thought of the electric knife as vibrator...  :laugh:
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2006, 10:56:13 pm »
That's so funny about the electric turkey carver!! It really epitomizes Monroe's role!! Great thinking, u 2!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2006, 10:58:15 pm »
Though, Katherine, I've never thought of the electric knife as vibrator...  :laugh:

Whoops! First I theorize that Jack's postcard prompts Ennis to go off and do some wringing, now this! Maybe I should go over to the NC-17 thread.

::)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2006, 11:07:39 pm »
Whoops! First I theorize that Jack's postcard prompts Ennis to go off and do some wringing, now this! Maybe I should go over to the NC-17 thread.

::)

LOL. :laugh:

Yup, that's definitely a new way to look at the carving knife.  Yikes though... that's quite a dangerous vibrator if you think about it! 
 :o ;)

ps. We're not allowed to bring the "wring/ wrang" discussion into this thread... we've all seen the craziness that can ensue when that topic comes up. LOL. ::) :-\
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2006, 11:09:21 pm »
Or stemming the rose either! Definitely a no-no!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2006, 11:13:39 pm »
Extremely dangerous vibrators, on the other hand...  :laugh: Katherine, I'm never going to see that scene the same way again.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2006, 12:07:35 pm »
As symbolized by the electric knife, which I always assumed is meant, in part, to suggest a vibrator (is it only me who thinks this? or does everybody else think it's so obvious it's hardly worth mentioning, or what?). Like that's what Monroe is to Alma -- something you turn to when your man isn't available.

that never even occurred to me. but it's a good one, katherine. just when I thought all ideas have been exhausted.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

tiawahcowboy

« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2006, 12:22:28 pm »
While Alma night not have been dating the owner of the Riverton grocery store (Bill in the AP story) before she decided to divorce Ennis, she saw him probably 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, 50 +/- weeks a year for several years before the divorce.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 09:31:42 pm by christopher_SLAYERS »