Author Topic: Star Wars original cast. Before and After (just for fun)  (Read 11713 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Star Wars original cast. Before and After (just for fun)
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 05:24:48 pm »
According to his IMDb profile, he has been in a couple of movies, actually acting not doing voice. I had a crush on him too.

No doubt about it, he was a c-u-u-u-t-e boy.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2006, 05:26:13 pm »
Even considering the accident, however, it appears that time has not been kind to Mark Hamill.

Hey, some guys just age better than others.  :-\

I am going to disagree.  I don't think he's aged badly, myself.  I see his character, pretty eyes, and a kind smile...he has a nice lived-in look.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 07:17:30 pm »
I am going to disagree.  I don't think he's aged badly, myself.  I see his character, pretty eyes, and a kind smile...he has a nice lived-in look.

He's turning into Clarence the Angel from It's A Wonderful Life.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2006, 11:50:26 pm »
I remember that. It was quite a serious auto accident.

Well, don't feel too bad for him. I think I recall reading that the wreck came from him driving his sportscar too fast and losing control.  I'm not sure if DUI was a factor.  He went face first through the windshield.  He was a LOT cuter in ANH ( the original Star Wars for all you non-Star Wars people) than he was in ESB (Empire Strikes Back). The damage is obvious from one movie to the next.  They even used some of his surgery scars as 'battle scars' in the movie.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2006, 02:25:57 pm »
IIRC, that's why they had the snow-critter on Hoth paw Luke's face in the beginning of ESB — to "explain" the scarring from the accident.

I thought he looked okay though, especially in Return of the Jedi — he looked great in that one.

As far as how he looks now? I think some folks tend to gain weight around the face, while folks like Harrison Ford don't — Abe Lincoln-type bone structure (+ possible botox, etc).

Anyway, I thought Hamill was underrated as an actor. To make all the scenes believable with Yoda — this muppet on his back — is difficult for any actor. Plus, his was the broadest character arc in the trilogy. For him to pull all this off was crucial to the success of the Star Wars franchise as a whole, and Hamill did a great job of that.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 01:52:16 pm by LauraGigs »

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2006, 02:42:29 pm »
OK, here are my assessments:

I never thought Mark Hamill was cute as a kid. And today ... well, still not particularly hot, but I think if I knew him in real life I'd consider him somewhere around average for his age (55, BTW).

Now, Harrison Ford in his youth is another story. He's not bad now, at 64, but back in them Star Wars days ... Whoooeee! He was the only reason to watch those movies, IMO.

I didn't think Carrie Fisher was particularly beautiful as Princess Leia. But at least now, at 50, she looks like someone you might want to be friends with.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2006, 08:39:39 pm »
Anyway, I thought Hamill was underrated as an actor. To make all the scenes believable with Yoda — this muppet on his back — was crucial to the success of the trilogy as a whole, and Hamill did a great job of that.

Agree.  Some do better than others, definitely a credit to their acting ability.

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2006, 01:02:08 pm »
I agree, Lynne! I thought he was great in Amadeus!!

??? Mark Hamill was in Amadeus? What character did he play? The only ones I recall are Tom Hulce, who played Mozart and F. Murray Abraham who played Salieri.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 08:08:36 pm by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.