Author Topic: Recipes - Cookies, Pies, Cakes, and Other Sweets  (Read 148554 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Recipes - Cookies, Pies, Cakes, and Other Sweets
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2006, 11:21:34 pm »
Honeyed dates

(serves 10, cut down as needed):

1 lb dates (should not be sticky, skins should not come off easily)
walnuts, whole or chopped
salt as needed
honey as needed

Pit the dates by making a cut in one side.  Fill each cavity with walnuts.  Roll each date in the salt.

Put them in a frying pan and cover them with honey generously (enough to coat the dates and cover the bottom of the pan).  Cook them under medium heat until they are carmelized.  Remove to a lightly oiled plate to prevent sticking.

Variation:  instead of walnuts, use blanched almonds rolled in cinnamon.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2006, 11:25:05 pm »
and this one is a tradition in Bob's family.  His Mom told me she'll be baking it in the morning.  I can tell you it is delicious.

Pumpkin Cake Roll

Ingredients:

Cake:
3 eggs -- room temp.
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup canned pumpkin
1 teaspoon lemon juice
3/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup walnuts, chopped

Filling:
1 cup confectioners' sugar
6 ounces cream cheese
4 teaspoons butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Instructions:

Beat eggs for 5 minutes.

Gradually beat in sugar, pumpkin and lemon juice. In separate bowl mix flour, baking powder, spices and salt. Fold into pumpkin mixture. Spread in prepared jellyroll pan.

Top with walnuts.

Bake at 375'F for 15 minutes.

Turn cake out onto towel sprinkle with sugar and roll up "jellyroll fashion.
Cool.

Prepare filling, beating all ingredients until creamy.
Unroll the cake and spread filling and re-roll; chill.

Serve sprinkled lightly with confectioners' sugar and heavy whipped cream on the side

My mother used to make this.  She shared the recipe with my ex-fiance's mother who made it and took it to her place of employment.  It proved so popular that by demand she now has to make it every holiday season and bring it to work.  :)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2006, 01:31:26 am »
These recipes all sound awesome!  I love that we're coming up with a catalogue of cherry cake (and pie, etc.) recipes.  I'll try to come up with something myself and post it... For now I'll act as cake cook-off cheerleader.
 8)

What about whiskey cakes...
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2006, 12:10:35 pm »
On request, I repost my receipt of "Ausstecherle" (= Christmas cookies)

Here's my receipt for Christmas cookies:

lb and oz measures are in in green

For the dough:
  • 500 grams (1lb + 1.5oz) white flour
  • 200 grams (7 1/4oz) sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1 little Pack vanilla sugar (that's about 8 grams (1/4oz))
  • grated paring (peel?) of one citron (you can leave this out or substitude with some drops of citron aroma)
  • 250 grams (8 3/4oz) butter (should be not too hard, it's easier to make the dough then)

Additionally:
  • cookie cutters
  • some more flour to powder your table, the cookie cutters and the rolling pin (otherwise the dough will stick to it)
  • 2 egg yolks to brush the cookies with
The flour and baking powder should be mixed and sieved. Then make a swale(?/ hole) in the middle and put all other ingredients into it. Mix/knead all ingredients with your fingers until you get a homogenous dough.

Let the dough rest in the fridge for 30 to 40 minutes. The dough should always be cold, so take only a part from it out of the fridge. Roll the dough equally out (should only be some millimeters thick).
Then cut forms out of the dough and put them on a buttered baking tray. Brush the forms carefully and thin with egg yolk. But them into the oven for 8 to 12 minutes (depends on your oven and on how thick you rolled the dough) at 180°C (equivalent to 356° Fahrenheit).

When the dough gets too soft from repeated kneading and rolling, put it back into the fridge and take another (cold) part of it.

Additionally you can decorate the cookies with colored sugar granules or chocolate granules, or put two cookies together with jam between them.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 12:27:06 pm by Penthesilea »

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2006, 11:53:14 pm »
Thanks for the great cookie recipe, Chrissi, and thanks, too, for including the alternate measures.  8)

Lauren, thanks for the TWO cherry cake recipes.  How to choose....?!  :P
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2006, 01:35:27 am »
gotta go find my sweet patatah pie recipe...

O0

Heathen

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2006, 08:13:45 pm »
Okay, first in German, then in English.

Marmorkuchen  - Marble Cake - Gluten Free

250 g Butter
250 g Zucker
1 p. Vanillezuker
2 cl Rum
1 prise Salz
4 Eier
350 g Reis/Maismehl glutenfrei
150 g Kartoffelmehl
1 p Backpulver (Weinstein)
3-4 Eßlöffel Milch
Fett für die Form
2 Eßlöffel Kakao
2 Eßlöffel Zucker

250 g butter or margarine
250 g sugar
1 packet vanilla sugar
2 vials rum flavoring
1 pinch salt
4 eggs
350 g rice/corn flour (gluten free)
150 g potato flour
1 packet baking soda
butter for the pan
2 tablespoons cocoa
2 tablespoons sugar

Weiche Butter oder Margarine schaumig rühren, nach und nach Zucker, Vanillezucker, Rum, Salz und Eier zufügen.  Mehl und Kartoffelmehl mit Backpulver mischen und eßlöffelweise unterrühren.  Bei Bedarf etwas Milch zufügen, der Teig soll schwer reißend vom Löffel fallen.  2/3 des Teiges in eine gefettete Kastenform füllen.  Kakao mit Zucker mischen und mit etwas Milch unter dem restlichen Teig rühren.  Dunklen Teig auf dem heilen verteilen und mit einer Gabel spiralförmig unterziehen.

Marmorkucken im vorgeheizten Backofen bei 180 C (Gas: stufe 2-3) ca. 50-60 Minuten backen.

Mix butter or margerine with sugar a bit at a time, then add the vanilla sugar, rum, salt and eggs.  Mix the flour and potato flour with the baking powder, and stir in with a tablespoon.  Add milk as needed so that the batter falls stiffly from the spoon.  Put 2/3's of the batter in a buttered loaf pan.  Mix the cocoa and sugar with some milk into the remaining batter.  Spread the dark batter over top of the light batter and make downward spirals with a fork.

Put the marble cake in a preheated oven at 180 C, for about 50 to 60 minutes.

Some of this stuff may not be available off the European continent very easily, but it is a flexible recipe and easy to substitute!  Make sure the oven is well heated... today I had success whereas other times I did not heat the oven up in enough time or stir the batter enough.

Also - I use half of this recipe for a normal loaf pan!  So cut amounts in half unless you have a LARGE loaf pan, otherwise you may be scraping volcanic lava off your oven.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline full measure

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2006, 06:11:57 pm »
I'm going to try this...I can figure out the US equivalents pretty well, but I'm going to guess that a packet of baking soda is about a teaspoon and a half?  I want mine to look as nice as Louise's

FM (KJ)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2006, 06:24:19 pm »
I put four packets of baking powder on the scale and as best as I can tell, they weigh 10 grams a piece.  The amount it specifies is "for 500 grams of flour."
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2006, 08:06:53 am »
I'm going to try this...I can figure out the US equivalents pretty well, but I'm going to guess that a packet of baking soda is about a teaspoon and a half?  I want mine to look as nice as Louise's

FM (KJ)

I'd say a packet of baking powder is two teaspoons.
I've googled a little bit and found that a packet baking powder conatains 15 - 16 grams. That's 1/2 oz.

BTW: Marmorkuchen (marble cake) is not a special Christmas cake in Germany. It's eaten the whole year. At Christmas, too  ;D.