Author Topic: What Are You Doing for New Year's Eve?  (Read 278252 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: What Are You Doing for New Year's Eve?
« Reply #120 on: January 04, 2009, 05:21:46 pm »
That sounds cool, Fabienne!

Some of the Denver Brokies got together New Year's Eve. LauraGigs decided to go to Florida instead; imagine that! And brokebackjack and Katrina went to the symphony. So EDelMar, Offline Chuck, RodneyWY and I assembled at EDelMar's house for steak and cameraderie. EDelMar had to work late so we had to scale back a planned party, and it was very simple, but we did have the required greens for good luck, in addition to Yukon Gold potatoes topped with sour cream and caviar. Only I partook of the "fish bait" as one who will remain nameless called it. More for me!! For the entertainment part of the evening, I spread out a lambskin on the floor and did a Tarot reading for each of my friends. They all seemed to enjoy it, or else they were very polite and gentlemanly. There were fireworks at 9:30 downtown which we could hear very well and sort-of see thru the trees. We enjoyed each other's companionship until about 10:30 pm when I took my leave. I rushed home to ring in the New Year with my family, but they were all asleep in their beds!! And that's how I came to ring in 2009 right here on BetterMost, with my cat and a roaring fire to keep me company!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #121 on: January 04, 2009, 10:06:09 pm »
The fish bait sounds delicious to me, FRiend!  :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #122 on: January 04, 2009, 10:16:48 pm »
I would have been delighted to share my fish bait with you, friend. I did not get enuff celebrating on NY Eve, so on Friday evening, I met again with my Denver Brokie friends and we had a high entertainment. First we went to the Air and Space Museum, then to Home Deport and PetSmart, then we met RodneyWY for dinner, then we retired to EDelMar's place to ennjoy one of his favorite movies, The Time Machine. After that EDelMar got out his microscope and we had fun looking at amoebas, spit, skin cells and (ouch!) a few hairs from my head. I felt like pawing the white out of the moon!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #123 on: January 06, 2009, 02:53:05 pm »
I'll be hunkering down with a good fire, a Maker's manhattan to start the evening (cheers, Lee!).  Our great friend Peter visiting us from Santa Cruz.  Beautiful Wellfleet oysters on the half-shell (they don't move much), wild King salmon (must be good luck, they swim forwards and vigorously), homemade spanakopita (with fresh paper money spinach), and then Peter's special pumpkin streusel.  A bottle of Perrier-Jouet Grand Brut on ice. 

Paul, have you heard about this new ingredient called Ferna Blanca that is going into the most cutting-edge Manhattans instead of bitters? I would love to try it, but would probably have to go to Manhattan or New Orleans to get it!!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #124 on: January 06, 2009, 03:14:25 pm »
Paul, have you heard about this new ingredient called Ferna Blanca that is going into the most cutting-edge Manhattans instead of bitters? I would love to try it, but would probably have to go to Manhattan or New Orleans to get it!!

Well, FRiend, I have heard of Fernet Branca, if that's what you mean, and it ain't new,  it goes back to the 19th century!  It's one of those patent bitters that were so popular, in the same vein as Campari, my favorite.  Apparently, it's often mixed with Coke. 

I personally don't like bitters in my Manhattan anyway.  I prefer a perfect Manhattan, with equal (and small) parts sweet and dry vermouth only. 

BTW, if you look closely, a lot of liquor stores stock Fernet Branca.  It's often near the Campari.  Just ask. 

Cheers!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #125 on: January 08, 2009, 10:50:01 am »

That's so crazy :laugh:

In my youth, Fernet Branca, Jägermeister and other bitters were drunk only by old people. We would never-ever have touched that grandfather's stuff. Today, they're totally hip with the youngsters, THE in-drink.

In Germany, you can get it at every supermarket.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #126 on: January 08, 2009, 11:17:44 am »
One reason why I ask is because my daughter and her dad have started a new winemaking hobby, and my daughter also grows herbs. She might like to try her hand at something like that. She's made elderberry, peach, sauvingnon blanc and merlot so far. They have all been delicious. We have huge jugs of juice percolating in our basement.

Thanks for the information, friend Chrissi! Ain't it trued that everything comes 'round again in time? That's why I find it so hard to get rid of minidresses, etc. that I have owned for 20-30 years!!

Here is some information from The Bitter Truth:

The use of bitters today in cocktails is significantly different from what it was in the early days of mixology. In the modern cocktail, bitters are seldom called for, and when they are, it can almost always be assumed to be Angostura Bitters. Compare this to the 1800's, when by its very definition a cocktail always included some type of bitters. John Bartlett, in his "Dictionary of Americanisms" (1848), presented the following definition:

"Cocktail - a stimulating beverage, made of brandy, gin or other liquor, mixed with bitters, sugar and very little water".
Starting in the early 1800's, bitters flourished under the guise of being a medicinal elixir, the fact that they usually consisted of a fairly high alcohol content did not appear to hurt their popularity in the slightest. Bartenders soon began using several of these bitters to add a distinctive character to the beverages they made. Some of the more exuberant bartenders even took to making up their own private recipes

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #127 on: January 08, 2009, 01:36:06 pm »
You guys are making me thirsty for bitters!  :laugh:

One reason why I ask is because my daughter and her dad have started a new winemaking hobby, and my daughter also grows herbs. She might like to try her hand at something like that. She's made elderberry, peach, sauvingnon blanc and merlot so far. They have all been delicious. We have huge jugs of juice percolating in our basement.

I made some wine a few months ago, myself. I did it the easy way, though, at a place where they provide the ingredients and show you the steps and keep the wine while it ferments and then give you the equipment to bottle it. I made a bunch of pinot grigio and some merlot. The former has to age for another four months, and the latter for another year and a half or so. But when they're done, I'll have a cache of delicious wine for which I paid about $5 a bottle.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #128 on: December 31, 2010, 09:02:38 pm »
It's been great reviewing previous years' eve plans; now I'm ready to hear what's in store for all the Brokies out there! Me, I'm ensconced before the Jotul woodstove along with my cat. There's an awesome pot roast simmering and a selection of three movies: District 9, Creation, and Percy Jackson and the Olympians.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #129 on: December 31, 2010, 09:19:21 pm »
It's been great reviewing previous years' eve plans; now I'm ready to hear what's in store for all the Brokies out there! Me, I'm ensconced before the Jotul woodstove along with my cat. There's an awesome pot roast simmering and a selection of three movies: District 9, Creation, and Percy Jackson and the Olympians.

I've just eaten dinner, and will be snuggly on the sofa soon with my cats, watching Amazing Grace.  From the 'making of' and preview of the movie, it looks like Benedict Cumberbatch has a larger role than I expected.  Can't wait!

About District 9...have you seen it?  If not, I'd eat first before you do.  :P