Author Topic: del Mar Painting by b73  (Read 127676 times)

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
Re: del Mar Painting by b73
« Reply #90 on: December 26, 2006, 03:19:32 pm »
I just wanted to give this a little bump because that last "reverie" was beyond belief. I think it was my favorite one yet. How is it that Maggie can make me smile my face off and sob all in the space of a few paragraphs. The ending of this reverie made me so sad  :'( But there is so much hope too, and we know this is forever for Jack so I have to hope that what Ennis fears will never come true.

Ok, through rambling  ;)
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #91 on: December 26, 2006, 10:00:37 pm »
Jack from del Mar Painting

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #92 on: December 26, 2006, 10:14:21 pm »
ok, I don't know where you found that pic, but that is a Jack Twist smile if I ever saw one... it's like Jake was channeling Jack before he even played the character... weird. I love that pic, thanks Leslie  :D
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #93 on: December 27, 2006, 01:08:37 am »
Look at the truck he is sitting on. Isn't that a Brokeback truck? I wonder if this photo was from October Sky? Anyway he is so cute & mischievious in this photo he reminded me of Jack in dMP.  :)

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #94 on: December 27, 2006, 05:01:58 am »
It's a lovely picture.

I love DMP. I don't know how Maggie finds the time to spoil us with such right and true new updates every day, but I love and appreciate that she does do so. And the last few chapters, - the birthday, the college planning....... the driver's licence!!! - both of them coming to grips with the consequences of Jack's increasing maturity has been as astounding as ever. And then some.  :-*
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 07:32:18 am by Mikaela »

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #95 on: December 27, 2006, 08:10:21 pm »
It's a lovely picture.

I love DMP. I don't know how Maggie finds the time to spoil us with such right and true new updates every day, but I love and appreciate that she does do so. And the last few chapters, - the birthday, the college planning....... the driver's licence!!! - both of them coming to grips with the consequences of Jack's increasing maturity has been as astounding as ever. And then some.  :-*

I agree 100%  :D

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #96 on: December 28, 2006, 01:18:48 am »
I really love the way Maggie describes Jack maturing... it's like I can see it happening. And I know this was a lot of chapters ago, but I loved when Jack first says his beard is getting thicker and there is more stubble at the end of the day now and sometimes he rubs it across Ennis' shoulder. Those aren't the exact words, but that moment has stuck with me for about 10 chapters now. This fic means so much to me.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #97 on: December 28, 2006, 07:28:27 am »
I've been re-reading some of Maggie's other fics and I was reminded about the angst they all have in common -  those long painful canon-like periods where J&E are apart and without any sort of contact, pining for each other, trying to move on but not managing to.... Absences nearly always initiated by Ennis and based on a number of reasons, society's demands, fear and misunderstandings, Ennis's inability to accept himself and  cope with what he's found in Jack...   

Anyway, I know DMP was written to be an antidote to all the heavy angst, with a much lighter and more positive even humorous tone and plot. But re-reading the previous fics (which are absolutely stellar, and so moving they all hurt the heart) made me worry that DMP might end up taking a turn for more angst and hearbreak as well, despite Maggie's original intentions.

I'm just wondering where DMP might be going from here. Ennis's qualms about being gay and in a relationship seems to mostly have been conquered.... J&E are in a loving, caring relationship if ever there was one..... they're making viable plans for the future..... They've got some good friends, slowly expanding circle of friends even, and family memebers who care......lEnnis's worries that Jack will move on from him have been calmed if not completely removed.... They're in a pretty good place.

I fear that either the fic is winding down or something bad will happen to our heros. I sure do hope I'm wrong in this. I'd like to see the fic go on and on and on and to read about their developing sweet life together *forever*!!

Perhaps there will be more focus on J&E's interaction with other characters (friends and family), and what happens to those characters instead..... ???

one_of_one

« Reply #98 on: December 28, 2006, 10:27:03 am »
I really love the way Maggie describes Jack maturing... it's like I can see it happening. And I know this was a lot of chapters ago, but I loved when Jack first says his beard is getting thicker and there is more stubble at the end of the day now and sometimes he rubs it across Ennis' shoulder. Those aren't the exact words, but that moment has stuck with me for about 10 chapters now. This fic means so much to me.

I loved that bit too Mandy...how it showed that even though Jack was getting older and that Ennis liked his youngsters...he was still turned on by jack and his stubble - because it's Jack. :)

I also love now in the last chapter Jack seemed so much older and more mature; the shift between young man and man is heading towards man, and although he is still the same funny, lighthearted, jokey person there is much more maturity within him.  I love that he is also changing from calling Ennis daddy all the time, and called him boy in this last chapter. He really took charge of the situation, was very strong in his determination to show Ennis that THIS is the real thing, and he doesn't want anything else.

I'm the same age as Ennis (well, I was until he had his most recent birthday! LOL) and I can really understand where he is coming from with thinking that Jack will one day get fed up and leave.  But it must be SO SO frustrating for Jack to not be taken seriously like this, for his feelings to be almost invalidated by Ennis's doubt.  I liked the driver's licence, and like Jack think yes, just what the hell else can he do to prove this to Ennis!!  That he's here for the duration.

But so wonderful taht Ennis will come with Jack wherever he goes. :)

*sigh*

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #99 on: January 01, 2007, 05:30:04 am »
I just read the last chapter and I was undone. I can't get it out of my head-trying to figure out why the tears, why the tight chest and pounding heart. And then an hour later it hit me. The anniversary of my first viewing-coming out of the movie with the lonliness and want of a love that strong and destined. The last chapter of DelMar Painting gave me that same feeling. That lonliness and longing-but not in a bad way. I love how this stuff moves me.

I guess I'll have to read the whole story now  ::)

Happy New Year my friends!

O0

Heathen