Author Topic: Jack and Alma  (Read 23882 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Jack and Alma
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2006, 11:51:12 pm »
I'm feeling nostalgic tonight.
Bump.
 :-*
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2006, 05:34:08 pm »
Yes, and that little wave she gives as they drive off leaving a cloud of dust... :'(
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2006, 05:45:43 pm »
It’s such a cold moment when Ennis walks in that morning. He looks at Alma with her tearstained face and says only, “Hey.” After being married so long, you’d think he’d notice when she’s had a sleepless night.

I can’t decide whether she says, “You know your friend could...” or “You know, your friend could...” Slightly different meaning. I think she offers because she’s supposed to...in a normal social situation. Since this obviously isn’t one, based on the kiss and spending the night out, she’s clinging to whatever shred of normalcy she can so that she doesn’t break down in front of him. I like watching the progression here of Alma chasing Ennis, asking about coffee (twice), then about the job (you’ve got responsibilities, Ennis), then finally simply looking. Nothing more to say. The wonder and hurt in her face as she sees them driving off--it’s difficult to be happy for Jack and Ennis while watching her cry.

I think much of Ennis's behavior in this scene the morning after the motel is meant to show us that Ennis can't really look Alma in the eye.  Yeah, he glances at her when he first enters the apartment, but I don't think he really looks at her.  And as he's running around packing he seems to deliberately avoid eye contact.  It's only after Alma Jr. enters the scene and he kisses her that Ennis settles down a tiny bit and kisses Alma good bye.  The tension between his glee and probably post-coital giddiness and Alma's sadness is amazingly well played in the movie.  I still think that the notion of Jack coming in for breakfast or coffee is sort of hilarious.  I would actually love to see how that would possibly have played out.  Yes, Alma might on the surface be trying to be polite, but I think she's really trying to test Ennis and Jack here.  I don't know what she thinks she would gain though.  Her voice when she says "you know your friend could come in and have a cup of coffee" sounds like a challenge or there's an edge of bitterness in her tone.  Alma knows exactly what the boys have been up to that night...  I sort of wonder if she wants to guage their behavior a bit more with her own eyes.  Throughout this interaction it's always hard for me to remember that Ennis doesn't know that Alma saw the kiss.  This seems crucial.  But, I always sort of forget that part of the equation here.  Poor Alma... looking out the window only to learn that the first thing Jack and Ennis are going to do is go have coffee and breakfast without her (she knows without a doubt now that they're avoiding her).  And worst of all they're going to a restaurant.  So, Jack is a "restaurant type" after all.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2006, 06:52:02 pm »
It’s such a cold moment when Ennis walks in that morning. He looks at Alma with her tearstained face and says only, “Hey.” After being married so long, you’d think he’d notice when she’s had a sleepless night.

I think much of Ennis's behavior in this scene the morning after the motel is meant to show us that Ennis can't really look Alma in the eye.

To me, he mainly seems distracted and excited. Guilt is another good possibility. But the way I've always interpreted it is, he's so caught up in being with Jack that he can't be bothered to pay much attention to Alma.

I can’t decide whether she says, “You know your friend could...” or “You know, your friend could...” Slightly different meaning. I think she offers because she’s supposed to...in a normal social situation.

Yes, Alma might on the surface be trying to be polite, but I think she's really trying to test Ennis and Jack here.  I don't know what she thinks she would gain though.  Her voice when she says "you know your friend could come in and have a cup of coffee" sounds like a challenge or there's an edge of bitterness in her tone.

I think of the coffee offer as a desperate grab for normalcy, not so much out of her own duty to be polite, but because she hopes somehow that if Jack came in she'd find out her suspicions were wrong, or maybe she can keep an eye on the two of them, or at least she can delay Ennis' departure, or ... something. Anything to keep things from going in the direction they're going. It's the same when she asks about his job, frantically trying anything she can to stall or prevent him from leaving.

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2006, 07:06:42 pm »
OMG that scene is just chock full of awkward moments!

Jack meeting Alma is an anxious moment for him.  Trust me!   Ahem, there is nothing scarier than meeting face to face the spouse of the man your sleeping with!  <blush>

As for Ennis when he returns after the Motel scene?    Yikes!   Ennis is obviously anxious to get in and out of the apt as quickly as possible.   He is still on cloud nine with Jack there.   You are correct that he can barely face Alma.     

Her asking about Jack coming in for Coffee is very much a test.   She wants to see if the guys can look her in the face.   If Jack were to come in and the three of them sit around and chat comfortably, then she might think they were actually just out drinking the night before.  But the fact Jack didn't want to come in and face her was a gesture that itself spoke a thousand words.

At this point remember, Jack still thinks there is a chance Ennis will Ranch up with him.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2007, 09:27:56 pm »
Bump!
 :D

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2007, 01:41:57 am »
I had never read this thread before!  Thanks for the bump.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2007, 01:50:53 am »
I had never read this thread before!  Thanks for the bump.

:D  LOL... I think this was one of the very first threads I started on BetterMost... pretty close to it.  It was on my mind because of starting that Jack and Alma Jr. thread recently.  Some day when I have a lot of time on my hands I want to re-real some of these really old (and often really long) threads.  And I mean read the whole threads... from first to last post.  That will be quite a commitment.  So much time has past that I'm sometimes honestly a little surprised to read my comments or I forget entirely about some given strain of conversation.  "I said that... really?"   

Most of the time I'm happy to report that I usually agree with myself (my self from a few months back).  ::) :D

At this point I look at Open Forum and I'm truly in awe of how much we've been able to tease out of this one movie and story in terms of topics for discussion.  And... I mean really serious and interesting topics.  I'm very proud of us.  8) :-\

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2007, 05:35:46 pm »
So much time has past that I'm sometimes honestly a little surprised to read my comments or I forget entirely about some given strain of conversation.  "I said that... really?"

:laugh: I do that, too! Sometimes I'll be scanning down an old thread and see some post and think, "Hmm ... that's an interesting point," or "Maybe, but on the other hand, blah blah blah," or "Well, I'd have to respectfully disagree" ... and then I notice that the original poster was me!

At this point I look at Open Forum and I'm truly in awe of how much we've been able to tease out of this one movie and story in terms of topics for discussion.  And... I mean really serious and interesting topics.  I'm very proud of us.  8) :-\

Me too. I am continually amazed at how much we've mined from this 134-minute movie (and 28-page story). And it never seems to stop! I'm still learning!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2007, 11:40:13 pm »