Author Topic: Saddam executed; Your thoughts?  (Read 24084 times)

injest

Re: Saddam executed; Your thoughts?
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2006, 09:04:34 pm »

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2006, 09:07:43 pm »
I think there's more to it than that though. We don't just do what the majority say. One of the responsibilities of government is to protect minorities against the majority.

Don't know what to tell you.  It's legal, a legally voted in government.  I, too, howled when the Republicans were put back into power yet again last year.  But what could I do?  Dubya won by over a million votes.

Whose fault is it?  Those million voters.

I can't live in the US, vote in a legal and - from all signs - as fair as possible election, then when someone I don't like is voted in, decide I no longer want to follow the rules.  There are laws to protect the minorities, but as I pointed out to Jess earlier, to be exempt from following laws you don't like, legally you have to present a case to the state and prove that is it illegal or immoral.

Conscientious objection comes to mind.

Offline David

« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2006, 09:08:42 pm »
Why wasn't his execution televised via Pay Per View?   Send the money raised to pay for the trial.

Why did they put a scarf around his neck to prevent rope burn?    That is so stupid.

Sorry folks, but if you are a mass murderer or confessed killer, then why should my taxes be used to keep you in jail for the rest of your comfortable life?    If you are not being rehabilitated then what is the point?    

No, I don't think we should have the death penalty for lesser crimes.    But for the inhumane?   Why keep them around in a warm bed with 3 square meals a day?

Want to really punish them?    Make them commute to work in rush hour traffic choking on smog, then work some horrible job for 8 hours at minimun wage then go home to a low rent apartment and stare at whats left of your paycheck after taxes are removed.

Offline Wayne

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2006, 09:08:46 pm »
Per the Christian story, Jesus was executed anyway.
Uck - yeah - AND Peter (crucified, which I long knew) AND Paul (beheaded, which I only recently found out about ...  :-\).  It does not pay to disagree with authority. At least in the short term, first 300 or 400 years.
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

injest

« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2006, 09:10:37 pm »
Don't know what to tell you.  It's legal, a legally voted in government.  I, too, howled when the Republicans were put back into power yet again last year.  But what could I do?  Dubya won by over a million votes.

Whose fault is it?  Those million voters.

I can't live in the US, vote in a legal and - from all signs - as fair as possible election, then when someone I don't like is voted in, decide I no longer want to follow the rules.  There are laws to protect the minorities, but as I pointed out to Jess earlier, to be exempt from following laws you don't like, legally you have to present a case to the state and prove that is it illegal or immoral.

Conscientious objection comes to mind.

morality and legality are decided by the majority so that would be pointless

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2006, 09:18:25 pm »
morality and legality are decided by the majority so that would be pointless

True, but there can be exceptions.  The Quakers, are one group, the Amish another.  Exceptions are made even in a country where the majority rules.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2006, 09:28:21 pm »
Why did they put a scarf around his neck to prevent rope burn?

Ah, I guess, for the same reason they apply alcohol to a criminal's arm before they put in a lethal injection.  Mustn't invite a nasty infection, eh?

Or after wrestling a perp to the ground, subduing him with Mace, tasers or clubs, the police put him in handcuffs, drag him to the car, then put a hand on top of his head to prevent a nasty bruise should the guy bump his head on the car door.  :)

Offline Wayne

« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2006, 10:40:29 pm »
Why did they put a scarf around his neck to prevent rope burn?
It was actually a hood he was supposed to wear but he did not want to wear it.

I found the transaction mildly touching. Saddam says no, and the man who was supposed to put the hood on puts his hand on Saddam's chest and offers to put it around his neck instead. Saddam shrugs his shoulders, and the man proceeds.
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2006, 10:42:33 pm »
No, I don't think we should have the death penalty for lesser crimes.    But for the inhumane?   Why keep them around in a warm bed with 3 square meals a day?
We don't seem to mind doing that for Rumsfeld, who was there right through the atrocities that Saddam was hanged for. And everybody loves Reagan - we didn't get around to hanging him.

Maybe there's a different perspective from Rumsfeld, but I sure would like to hear it!  Reagan's not around to fill us in on his side of the story.

What I'm saying is, Saddam did what he did with the explicit support of the Reagan administration, whom the US populace subsequently re-elected in 1984 with full knowledge of what he had done. (I voted against him with fervor, but others prevailed.) So where does the guilt end? How many more should be hanged?

I say none, because I oppose capital punishment for all cases and in all circumstances. But for those who believe that those responsible for the killing at Dujail should be hanged, there are many more involved.

I think our culture has made Saddam a scapegoat (read the Wikipedia article for details). We have attributed to him the evils that we committed and have killed him to atone for our sins. I think it is wrong to do this, because it lets us think of ourselves as righteous when we are not. I think it makes the United States more likely to treat other countries badly in the future the same way we are treating Iraq badly now. It is our fault that they have been without water and electricity for four years.

We gave him money in 1982 to do what he did in 1982. In 1983 we said we were happy with what he was doing. Twenty years later under the direction of the same people (Rumsfeld, Cheney, etc) we invaded Iraq to capture him and turn him over to be executed for doing what we gave him money for in 1982. Just seems weird!     :-\
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 11:41:15 pm by wdj »

Don

injest

« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2006, 11:52:18 pm »
Wag the Dog....we are talking and looking at Saddam...and not Bush.

Karl Rove studied Nazi techniques..and uses them very well