Author Topic: Brokeback Slang, a.k.a. Much Ado About Brokeback  (Read 205161 times)

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
Re: Brokeback Slang.
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2006, 03:07:29 pm »
(I think the translation is the original article is faulty: "I have nothing; I don't belong anywhere." I think Ennis really meant: "I'm nothin', I'm nowhere."

Also from the original article: the translator makes a point of saying that "bitch" is usually used in addressing a female, but Jack calls Ennis SON of a whoreson bitch", not "bitch". Male, not female.)

No, Mrs. Twist, you're incorrect. In the summer of 1963, your husband Jack and I were herding sheep on Brokebaclk Mountain--it is not a place of fantasy, where the blue birds sing and there's a whiskey spring, as you sarcastically suggested, and as the song goes...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 03:20:28 pm by julie01 »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2006, 03:19:16 pm »
Whether rapid or sluggish, I am simply appreciative of the course you are currently taking.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2006, 03:20:07 pm »
Have you visited our neighbors to the south, Jack Twist? Because I've been informed about the accomodations they can provide there for gentlemen of your predisposition.

Why yes, I've traveled in Mexico. Are you posing an objection?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2006, 03:24:19 pm »
I am a different sort of individual than yourself. I am not fully satisfied with engaging in sexual relations at lofty elevations on an occasional basis.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2006, 03:28:07 pm »
Either:

Ennis: I am sorry I was rude to you this morning.

Jack: Don't give it another thought, don't.

OR:'

jACK: I'm sorry I made you feel so uncomfortable by seducing you; I know this is all new to you. But, really,  it is perfectly natural that we should feel this way about eachother, it really is. please relax and be at ease; follow your feelings. (as a funny little green being will say in a movie about 14 years from now)
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • No one can resist the Twist!
    • Myspace site, kinda scary but I like it!
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2006, 04:23:14 pm »
I am soo happy I saved these before my computer crashed!
The first is between Cassie and Ennis and is my favourite out of the two:

Ennis:
Grueling occupation, is it?

Cassie:
Indeed, inebriated citizens similar to your good self, demanding alcoholic beverage after alcoholic beverage, and lighting tobacco based pleasures. This has become tedious to me over the time I have been working here. May I ask; what tasks do you take pleasure in during your hours of work, Mr. Ennis delMar?

Ennis:
Just this morrow I was castrating several of the fine bovine species that I help maintain.
(for some reason this really tickled me, even though I wrote it, and I was sat here laughing at it for ages)

The second is between Jack and Ennis:
Jack:
November? What in torment occurred to August? Oh Lord, Ennis, you had a entire seven day period to acquaint me with this circumstance. Furthermore why be it we for eternity are in these blooming chilly conditions? We must depart south, anywhere it is temperate, both of us jolly chaps should go to the Mexican region.

Ennis:
The region of Mexico?
Goodness…you are acquainted with me. As regards to all of the wandering I boast, going around a caffeinated beverage container and searching for the instrument with which I pick the container up is all I have achieved to this day.

I am loving this thread! I love trying to sound really posh and Stephen Fry-like! :laugh:
"Look too often at those hills, lie too long beside those rippling rivers, and you may think you are hearing a love song, when actually it is a death song." Larry McMurtry, Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay.

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2006, 04:53:29 pm »
Jack Twist?! Jack Unseemly!!
Fie upon Aguirre!

LOL!!!  OMFG that's funny!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2006, 04:58:59 pm »
I'm going out of town for three days, away (sob!) from computer contact.

Wow, in three days you can have lots of acronyms done!  I'll look forward to it, Katherine.  And will miss you.

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2006, 05:05:59 pm »
Have you visited our neighbors to the south, Jack Twist? Because I've been informed about the accomodations they can provide there for gentlemen of your predisposition.

Why yes, I've traveled in Mexico. Are you posing an objection?

I do believe that you are at fault, sir, for my being the way that I am in this point in time.

omg.. ROTF  you guys are killing me...... :laugh:
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2006, 05:16:35 pm »
Did you al read the French subtitles (or--horrors--the French dubbing) for "Jack Twist? Jack NASTY!"

"Jack Twist? Jack Contre La Nature!"