Author Topic: The Infamous Electric Carving Knife - A Moment of Levity  (Read 21019 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: The Infamous Electric Carving Knife - A Moment of Levity
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2008, 04:29:19 pm »
I see parallels between Alma's "settling" for Monroe and finding financial security with Jack's marrying Lureen for the same reason.

We know Jack wants more (Ennis); we don't necessarily know what Alma wants. 

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2008, 04:35:58 pm »
I see parallels between Alma's "settling" for Monroe and finding financial security with Jack's marrying Lureen for the same reason.

We know Jack wants more (Ennis); we don't necessarily know what Alma wants. 

Yep, this makes a lot of sense to me.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2008, 09:09:10 am »
I think the idea that Monroe serves as a foil is very good.

He's a classic nice guy it seems to me.  I think his image as less-than-macho or perhaps even a "sissy" is everything to do with the underlying stereotypes that have to do with sexuality (maybe more so... or linked with stereotypes about masculinity).  In this case, the reliable straight husband is the "sissy" and the gay man is the macho, tough guy.  Making the contrast between Ennis and Monroe marked and very obvious I think was certainly intentional in this regard.

IMO it might have been to mix it up a bit, especially for viewers who are moving outside their comfort zone in terms of how they see Ennis and Jack.  i.e., that late in the movie, the viewer imight be comfortable with considering the gay character masculine but just as you thought it was safe to go back in the water, here comes another reversal.

Monroe is the classic nice guy who finishes last but also could be many a woman's good catch as a second husband.  In high school and early adulthood, he'd be the nerd or the dull workaholic that most females would overlook in favor of the guy who's more macho, better-looking , maybe with more of an aura of danger about him.  Unfortunately, bad-boys don't age nearly as well as nice-guys and tend more than the Monroes of the world to be lead characters in very bad marriages -- some much worse than Alma's that's for sure.  The Monroes more often improve with age.

And, I don't think we're too far off topic.  The electric knife is also all about stereotypes and even sexual stereotypes (metaphorically speaking).

Well, that can certainly put the Swords suit in the Tarot in a whole new light!   ;D

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2008, 03:36:55 pm »
Hey!  I was just revisiting this thread after my BBM viewing in Seattle this past weekend.  The electric carving knife did indeed provide some much-needed comic relief after the Thanksgiving scene in Jack's house, AND Eric had a special revelation during this scene.  8)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2008, 04:10:52 pm »
For some reason I figured it was battery operated.  This was the first time I seen it plugged into an extension cord running from the kitchen.  :laugh:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2008, 04:15:21 pm »
For some reason I figured it was battery operated.  This was the first time I seen it plugged into an extension cord running from the kitchen.  :laugh:

How 'bout that! I never thought to look for the cord, but then the issue never occurred to me because the eletric carving knife my mom and dad had was "plug-in."
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2011, 12:20:50 pm »
I just reread this thread. Gosh, we all sure were (are?) brilliant. And still making astute observations about subtle meanings in the movie -- nearly two and a half years after it came out. Amazing. What an education this place has been.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2012, 05:04:40 pm »
I just reread this thread. Gosh, we all sure were (are?) brilliant. And still making astute observations about subtle meanings in the movie -- nearly two and a half years after it came out. Amazing. What an education this place has been.

Almost scary: As I just read through this thread, I kept thinking how smart we all sounded and decided that when I got to the end I would post a comment saying something to that effect. Then I come to the end and find I said just that a year ago!  :laugh:

I do miss having something to analyze in this depth in the company of such brilliant analysts.  :-*

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2012, 10:07:28 pm »
I've been puzzled all along that using an electric knife was so execrable; something akin to farting at the table.   :laugh:

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2012, 11:50:40 pm »
I've been puzzled all along that using an electric knife was so execrable; something akin to farting at the table.   :laugh:

I don't agree with that analogy or the adjective. It's not like some kind of social faux pas or obnoxious habit reflecting lack of refinement. On the contrary, it seems overly civilized -- a fussy, complicated instrument designed to save a miniscule amount of muscular effort when doing what a plain classic tool (i.e., a knife) could do just as well. In BBM parlance, it's a regular knife's citified cousin. It's like washing clothes in a sink on one of them fancy washboards Alma uses, vs. washing them in the river.

That and its symbolism as a vibrator, underscoring Monroe's status as Alma's second-best replacement for Ennis.

I say this about its meaning in the movie, not its meaning in real life. My family had an electric knife and although it seemed slightly overkill I never thought that much about it. It was just a trend in that era, along with pet rocks.