Author Topic: David Denby on watching "Brokeback" on a small screen  (Read 6034 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
David Denby on watching "Brokeback" on a small screen
« on: January 07, 2007, 04:27:42 pm »
I thought those without access to The New Yorker might find this interesting. It's from Denby's article, "Big Pictures: Hollywood Looks for a Future," in the Jan. 8 issue of The New Yorker. Denby is a film critic for the magazine.

I looked at "Brokeback Mountain" on a portable DVD player with a seven-inch screen and headphones--the kind of rig people use on airplanes and in jury waiting rooms. The focus was precise, the color bright. And, through the headphones, I heard such extraordinary details as the flip-flip-flip of the rain on the tent when Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger are up in the mountains. Yet there was something wrong. I was not in the mountains. The grandeur of the terrain is not something the men are necessarily conscious of, but the massiveness of the mountain range, the startling clarity of the air, the violence of the weather enlarge the experience of the feelings they have no words for and can't control. If you watch the movie on a small screen, you're not living within this great breathing, palpable place. The small screen takes the emotion out of the landscape.

Essentially I agree with Denby. It's nice to be able to "visit" with Ennis and Jack anytime I want to in the comfort of my own living room, but for me, the experience of Brokeback Mountain is most definitely and probably unavoidably diminished on the small screen.  :-\

Denby goes on to add:

The experience was dissatisfying in other ways, too. Having a highly detailed soundtrack in your head and a reduced image before your eyes is an oddly unsettling experience. It's as if the movie had been pulled back to the editing stage, before the sound and picture were "married." You are reminded of the obvious reason that theatres have put speakers behind the screen all these years--so that the words seem to be coming out of the characters' mouths. In "Brokeback," as a storm breaks, the lightning flashed onscreen, but the the thunder roared in my head.

Denby also talked with James Schamus about running Focus Features, which he characterizes as a "specialty" division of Universal. He also shares that to market the movie, one of Focus Features' target groups was older women who do volunteer work. This group was targeted because they were thought to be more compassionate.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: David Denby on watching "Brokeback" on a small screen
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 02:33:42 pm »
Oh yeah, watching it on DVD, it's nothing like how it was in the theatres.  That's why I saw it 45 times in the theatres!  :D  Everybody reading this should make an effort to go to the Bay City Michigan Screening...
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,5549.0.html

Man I wish I had driven to Fresno though and saw it on the IMAX screen there.

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 02:45:10 pm »
Yup.   Seeing the mountains on the big screen was breathtaking.    Even my Mom commented on that after she saw it on the big screen.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 02:58:12 pm »
Oh yeah, watching it on DVD, it's nothing like how it was in the theatres.  That's why I saw it 45 times in the theatres!  :D  Everybody reading this should make an effort to go to the Bay City Michigan Screening...
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,5549.0.html

Man I wish I had driven to Fresno though and saw it on the IMAX screen there.

OMG, that mountain scenery on an IMAX screen?  :o THUD. (Jeff keels over in a dead faint. ...)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 04:56:00 pm »
OMG, that mountain scenery on an IMAX screen?  :o THUD. (Jeff keels over in a dead faint. ...)

Yeah, and I missed it.  I kick myself for missing this.  RonTrigger is the lucky one of us who saw it there many times, as that's his home town.  And it would've only been a 2 hour drive for me.  Uggh!  :(

It wasn't on IMAX film, but this particular location has a stand alone former IMAX theatre that they now use to show traditional 35mm movies on.  They showed BBM for about 8 weeks on the IMAX screen! 

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 05:25:47 pm »
Yeah, and I missed it.  I kick myself for missing this.  RonTrigger is the lucky one of us who saw it there many times, as that's his home town.  And it would've only been a 2 hour drive for me.  Uggh!  :(

It wasn't on IMAX film, but this particular location has a stand alone former IMAX theatre that they now use to show traditional 35mm movies on.  They showed BBM for about 8 weeks on the IMAX screen! 

Seeing Brokeback on an IMAX screen--now that would have been some high-class entertainment!  :D

In view of his comments it would be interesting to know what Denby would think of viewing the film on an IMAX screen.

(I remember RonTrigger. Wonder whatever became of him?  ??? )

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 05:32:49 pm »
Rontrigger still posts now and then at imdb.

I just saw my first mainstream IMAX film (not counting the ones about ocean life and the Grand Canyon and things like that). It was "Night at the Museum." I didn't like the experience much. I was sitting closer than I probably should have been, and my eyes kept wandering around the screen, not knowing where to settle.

But the fact that "Night at the Museum" was bad probably didn't help.  :-\

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 07:41:08 pm »
(I remember RonTrigger. Wonder whatever became of him?  ??? )

Ron's alive and well over on Imdb.  There's actually a lot of good discussions that are still going on over there.  Worth a lurk....

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 08:06:32 pm »
Ron's alive and well over on Imdb.  There's actually a lot of good discussions that are still going on over there.  Worth a lurk....

IMDb? Seems like I haven't been back there in four effen years.  ;D

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 12:50:16 pm »

I take a kind of middle view on those smaller screens.

On one hand, any kind of large-scale scenery is diminished on a smaller screen; we have a medium size one, about 25". But for me, the balance tilts a little toward the advantage of being able to view it whenever I want, replaying certain scenes and just the sentimental feeling of having Ennis and Jack in my house. (Yeah, I know that sounds a tad demented!)

We got one of those little 7-inch DVD players for Christmas, and finally dug through the junk boxes to find some earphones that fit it. Looking forward to that!