Author Topic: Where are you in your process?  (Read 13803 times)

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
Where are you in your process?
« on: April 13, 2006, 12:05:38 am »
Most of us have been experiencing the movie since it was first released. We bought, lived and breathed this movie for months. Now the posts are being less about the movie and more about our relationship with each other, some of our great minds have moved on, maybe we've been forced to catch up with everything we let slide during the honeymoon.

So, where are you with Bbm now? I find that my love for the movie has mellowed and aged into something like that dozy embrace. I am able to resist the urge to pop in the DVD before going to bed every night and I haven't read the short story in 2 weeks-a record. The destruction of the PT board was a dull ache in my heart and the continued stupidity on TOB just makes me what to whip people. 

BUT, still, I can't let it go.

Heathen

Offline DeeDee

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Where are you in your process?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 12:29:32 am »
Well for me, I cut my crying in half.  I still play the DVD often.. (not everyday anymore)
I think about the boys maybe twice a day now.  Wow I never thought that one night in December when I was bored, and went to a movie, would rock my world like it has.

In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

texman

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 09:58:10 pm »
 Well I am certainly doing better today than I was a few days ago after first watching the movie.  All the crying stopped now (see my post under Get In Touch With Your Feelings), I can actually watch this movie with more awe and amazement. I love the entire movie, but my favourite scene is the "Let Me Be" scene. Each time I see it, I pick up more and more.
 And what scares me in a way is that I am a straight guy with a wife! Why do I understand this scene so well? It's almost as if I can identify with it somehow. And that is very scary to me.
 I read the posts under the Steps thread. It's amazing how accurate that post is to how I feel. So I guess that others have travelled down this road before me.
 I am so glad that I found this forum, it really helps to know that I am not the only person feeling this way. I feel that there is something "left open" in my life and I can't identify it, but I feel that if I do and deal with it all will return to normal. So I am seriously reevaluating my life and beginning to deal with all the issues(and I didn;t think I had any!) and strangely enough I am finding a very relaxing warm calm.

Offline mg501

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 10:05:48 pm »
I have gotten past the feeling of being overwhelmed by the feelings and thoughts the movie first stirred up in me. I still love Jack and Ennis. I am watching the dvd once a week or so and I think I have been looking at the movie more analytically then before. There are several parts of the movie that continue to choke me up. That continues because I know there are people out in the real world who are suffering through what Jack and Ennis suffered through. The movies currently playing in the theaters right now still seem uninteresting and irrevlevant. I know that my processing will have moved along further once I can "get into" new movies.

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 02:39:55 am »
  ...what scares me in a way is that I am a straight guy with a wife! Why do I understand this scene so well? It's almost as if I can identify with it somehow. And that is very scary to me.

I wanna respond to a question that texman asks and also to his post in general, then say a bit about where I am.

Texman, I think it's great that you, a non-gay guy with a wife, can relate to the movie and to a scene that is very intense.  Why do you understand it so well?   For one thing, Ennis and Jack are men.  You may be connecting with one or both of the men on an emotional level or maybe the scene is similar to something that happened to you in real life.  You understand them because you are the same gender they are, you see? You don't have to be gay or bi-sexual to do that.  And then there the "universal" connection to human love that most people can understand and feel too.  You don't have to be in a same sex relationship to understand that either.

Where am I now?  I have watched the movie on DVD 4 times and seen it in the theater once.  Every time I watch it, the same parts that broke me up the first time do again; not to the depth and intensity of the first time, but I am still very moved, to tears.  The most intense part is when Ennis visits Jack's parents and find the two shirts.  I understand the movie better now.  I read the story then gave the book to a close friend of mine, so I have another book on the way, and I do want to read it again since I've read it twice and still think about the story almost more than the movie.  Brokeback Mountain has had a huge impact on my life.  I have made positive changes already and am better off for them.  It has been the starting point for other, more important and difficult changes that I am making, long range changes, so I am thankful it's had such a strong impact for good. 

I have a new appreciation for country and western music even and have bought a few CDs, like the soundtrack, of course, but also some by Teddy Thompson, Mark Weigle and Steve Earle.  I should say too, that the movie's positive effect on me has a lot to do with finally seeing a serious movie about men in love.  It's almost like some "odd form of acceptance" by the mainstream, well, not all, but some of the mainstream. That feels very good, very healthy!

I still think of both Jack and Ennis from time to time and when I hear the soundtrack, whether on my PC or on BBM Radio, a sweet sadness, a haunting joy mixed with grief rise in me.  I'm a real movie lover and place Brokeback Mountain up high with favorites like Gandhi, Contact, A Thin Red Line, One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest and Out of Africa which, by the way, is similar to Brokeback in it's tale of adventure and loss love.  I continue to come here out of a need to talk about the movie, the men, their issues and my feelings.   I saw the movie for the first time in early March and must admit, no movie has ever had so much influence on me.  I've never watched a movie 5 times and I imagine I will watch it again, so predict that it will most likely "hold the record" for movies I've watched most frequently.

Happy Spring to you all,
Rayn

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 02:34:51 pm »
Well, it's nice to know y'all are doing so great. My post is going to sound like the mental downfall of this entire thread.

Okay, I can at least function again, let me get that across... No longer am I having sleepless nights, outbursts of tears, or an icy shield separating me from the rest of the world (well, it's still kind of there), or crying literally every day. But some things have not changed: I still think about Ennis and Jack all the time. All though I can entertain off-topics thoughts for a while, everything comes back to Brokeback for me. It's difficult to let go (and I don't know if I want to). I'm still posting here and other Brokeback forums; it's monopolized my spare time.

Cannot watch other movies. I've seen some movies after Brokeback that I enjoyed but I haven't loved any of them (except Driving Miss Daisy, although BBM is far superior). Cannot see Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger playing other characters just yet, even though they're such great actors and can easily sell most of their parts.

It's been a few weeks since I last watched the movie, though I have the DVD, and I'm about to lose my fucking mind. I am holding off for the perfect evening though; when I can get some peace and solitude in my living room (I don't live alone). I am contemplating reading the book again but I will most likely do that after the movie.

My computer background is still Brokeback Mountain, I am planning on making a Brokeback scrapbook, I still have the ticket stubs, play the CD, and have pictures of Brokeback on my walls...

I am getting better, thankfully, (at least I'm not an insulent basket-case anymore) but this movie still has its place, which hasn't decreased in size at all, in my heart.
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline OddlyEven

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 01:01:49 am »
It's been about a week since I last popped the DVD into the player. Like you, I'm trying to refrain from doing that because I'm afraid I'll get burned out. I don't want that to happen. Still I can't quit the movie though (obviously) because I'm still reading about it and posting about it on the Internet. No other movie has affected me the way this one has. I don't want it to stop.
Be my friend, hold me, wrap me up, unfold me, I am small and needy, warm me up and Breathe me.

Offline korgriff

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 07:47:08 pm »
Well at first I couldnt get enough of BBM.  I went out and bought the DVD before I took the one I rented back to the store because I couldnt be without it.  I have been on the boards and ebay.  I bought a BBM italian charm for my bracelet and when I'm out and start thinking about them I just look at it.  I still watch the DVD every couple days but I feel like I have a part of them with me now and so I'm not so obsessed!
"....you got a better idea?" Ennis Del Mar
"I did once." Jack Twist

Offline JfT

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 08:56:36 pm »
I don't think I'll ever get over this & why should I ? Its almost like an intense love affair you've somehow grown mellow with. I no longer let it absorb me as it once did, but its still very much wiith me.
I've learned a few things about myself because of the film & story & thats good. I'm more honest with myself & others & thats more than good.

Offline korgriff

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 03:01:57 pm »
 ;) I like your signature JfT.  Brokeback sure did get us all good!!!  I dont think that I will ever completely move past this but I dont have to and I dont want to either!  I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!!
"....you got a better idea?" Ennis Del Mar
"I did once." Jack Twist