Author Topic: A BetterMost Screening of Brokeback... What if?  (Read 3287 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
A BetterMost Screening of Brokeback... What if?
« on: April 13, 2006, 11:25:45 pm »
OK, so I've been trying to imagine what a theatre filled with BetterMost members would be like during a screening of BBM.
The idea seriously makes me smile.
 :D :laugh: :) ;)

I can imagine people reciting dialogue along with the film and then long phases of us all sitting there weeping quietly.  Would people dress like their favorite character?  Would we have discussion sessions following the viewing?

What would people suggest for an "ideal" screening of Brokeback?
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
Re: A BetterMost Screening of Brokeback... What if?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 12:31:46 am »
I can't help thinking of '''Rocky Horror." Why, for heavens sake? Because the movie is incomplete without an audience..unlike Brokeback Mountain. I once rented it, and it was BORING without the audience...they answer the actors, they throw things at the screen (I have a particularly vivid memory of "No shit, Sherkock," and throwing toilet paper when someone says "Great Scott!":)...

anyway...it would be like the Angless Angfest...a stuffed theater, with everyone cheering when Jack tell his father-in-law off, and everyoine laughing at  all the funny lines, and everyone being mousy still in the more serious parts. But different people think different lines are funny. Everyone wouold laugh at "give'em hell,"  some would laugh at Ennis saying "Whut?" and maybe I'm the only one who laughs when Ennis puches Jack when Jack's trying to minister to him with the nosebleed...hopefully, no fights would break out (we can save those for after the movie..after the applause dies down).  I don't think ANYONE would say the words along with ther actors, but I'm sure there are still plenty who cry (I never do...).

It would have to be a near-monster, but not monster, screen, with perfect sound.

It's sad to think: this will never happen again..there's nothing like a great audience to make as great film greater...
And we could spend the rest of the night talking about it....

I will wear my Shirt, as I do most days anyway (my son finally got a picture of me in it, so I will be posting same soon), lots of hats, maybe some costumes...
CLICK TO ENLARGE>>>
« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 12:38:42 am by julie01 »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 02:42:03 pm »
That would be amazing... It's like the Brokie's equivalent to Jack and Ennis' dream cow-and-calf operation. *slain through the heart*

I don't say the lines with the characters in this movie. It detracts from my viewing experience. I still cry (but then again, I haven't seen it 40+ times... yet).

I would probably wear my soon-to-be-delivered-to-my-doorstep shirt courtesy of Jenny/newyearsday.
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 11:31:24 pm »
Yes, I agree you're both right. Saying the dialogue along with the movie wouldn't be appropriate.  Just an example of a possible activity/ aspect of a bettermost group viewing. 

Would we eat beans?  Could we get special permission from the theatre to drink whisky?
 ::) :D

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 07:16:44 pm »
Yes, I agree you're both right. Saying the dialogue along with the movie wouldn't be appropriate.  Just an example of a possible activity/ aspect of a bettermost group viewing. 

Would we eat beans?  Could we get special permission from the theatre to drink whisky?
 ::) :D

Most of the times I've seen BBM in the theatre I HAVE snuck in whiskey!  Who cares about permission. And when they passed the bottle to each other I always held mine up and said cheers!   ;D :P O0

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 12:05:07 am »
Amanda, your dream will be coming true, in just 60 days!! May 25-29 in Estes Park, Colorado!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 10:34:21 am »
Amanda, your dream will be coming true, in just 60 days!! May 25-29 in Estes Park, Colorado!!

Yup!  I know!  I'm so excitied.
 :D

And, I'm very impressed that you unearthed this ancient thread!  It was probably among the first threads that I started in my early days as a member here.