Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1178237 times)

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
Re: sweatshirt: ragged breath: bricks:
« Reply #1000 on: April 09, 2007, 03:22:17 pm »
Pulling the sweatshirt off, amid ragged breaths, he felt like he could shit bricks.

(words:  14)

Shoot me if you like people but I dont like that all. I dont think it,s necessary. Not the sort of drabbles I want to read atall.
Leslies drabbles are lovely, but these last two, sorry, I dont think it,s necessary.

Offline haunted_by_bbm

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "didn't know we was gonna get into this again..."
    • Panels of the Dream: Brokeback Mountain Stories
« Reply #1001 on: April 09, 2007, 03:34:24 pm »
Shoot me if you like people but I dont like that all. I dont think it,s necessary. Not the sort of drabbles I want to read atall.
Leslies drabbles are lovely, but these last two, sorry, I dont think it,s necessary.

I'm game.  I'll shoot you.      :P
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1002 on: April 09, 2007, 04:52:06 pm »

What is your definition of "necessary", Souxi? lol.. The content?
I'd say the drabbles used the prompts adequately!   ;)

C ~  Unfortunately, bad chili has its side-effects.. :P

Offline haunted_by_bbm

« Reply #1003 on: April 09, 2007, 04:59:20 pm »
What is your definition of "necessary", Souxi? lol.. The content?
I'd say the drabbles used the prompts adequately!   ;)

C ~  Unfortunately, bad chili has its side-effects.. :P

LOL   ;D   But fortunately, Jack's chili got better over the years,
since he went on to win the big chili cook-off of 2006.   ;)   
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1004 on: April 09, 2007, 05:03:52 pm »

Hehe.. I know ..   ;)

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Our friend MaineWriter: Read her stuff!
« Reply #1005 on: April 09, 2007, 05:22:28 pm »

And I have the trophy to prove it!

Jack
Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Offline haunted_by_bbm

« Reply #1006 on: April 09, 2007, 05:25:45 pm »

Jack

Hey Jack, 
You caught us talkin' 'bout ya.  All in fun.  You know we love ya.    :-* :-* :-*
Great big hugs comin' your way.   {{{{{L L J}}}}}

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1007 on: April 09, 2007, 06:14:07 pm »
(Here's my 'drabble', I know, it's way over again, but it's almost done...)

The Find

(July 2003)
The artist got up again and made coffee.  Soon the coffee machine was gurgling, the only sound in the room.  The birds were singing outside.  Ennis closed his eyes, but there could be no sleep.  The artist came over behind him and laid a gentle hand on his back.

“You okay, are you tired?”  He asked, in a quiet voice, “I can drive you home if you like.”

Ennis looked up.  The sun was now streaming in behind the artist, giving him an ethereal glow.   Ennis shook his head “no, I’m fine, I’ll be okay, some coffee will be good, but just go on.”

The artist made two cups of coffee, and brought them back to the table.  “You’re sure?” he asked again.  Ennis nodded.  The artist continued “I went out the day after the funeral, I went down there so fast, I forgot half the things I needed.  I bought a sweatshirt, a couple of shirts and some underwear too.”  The artist laughed “I forgot those.”

”I wasn’t out long but when I got back Bobby was in her bedroom.  It looked like everything was turned upside down.  There were blouses, socks, stacks of letters.  Lots of letters, from friends, far off relatives, business people.  Also, there was the package on the bed, the one with the postcards.  I asked Bobby about it.  I asked if I could look at it.  He didn’t answer.  So I opened that package and I began reading the postcards.  At first they didn’t make sense, the notes on them, the two different handwritings.  They didn’t make any sense at all.” 

“The first one that got me thinking was one that said something like, ‘we had a great time, just like I hoped.  Ennis brought some cans of beans, everything was so good, but not the same.’  I remember thinking ‘how could beans be so important?  Not the same as what?’”

“I sat there for a while, just looking at them.  Then all of a sudden, it hit me.  It just hit me like a ton of bricks falling right on me.  ‘Bobby, did you know your Dad was….was gay?”

“He didn’t answer, not even a shrug.  I wanted to ask him again, but I left it at that.  I asked him what he wanted to do with the postcards.  All he said was ‘don’t care.’  So I asked if I could have them, he said yes.  I don’t know why he didn’t care.”

“I spent hours reading them, over and over.  I couldn’t stop.  As much as I loved Bobby, I never imagined that anyone could love someone as much as he loved you.”  Ennis let out a ragged breath.  The artist went silent for a moment and then went on, “I decided at that moment that I had to find you.  I wanted you to have the postcards, I needed for you to have them.”

Ennis's breathing then became even more frayed.  The artist placed an arm around his shoulders.  Ennis looked at the ghostly face, but he could not see.  All he saw was all the missed chances in front of him.  The voice dropped to a whisper “I also had to meet you, I had meet the person who could inspire so much love.”

The artist’s hand moved tenderly across his back.  Ennis closed his eyes, he longed for sleep and for dreams.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 06:26:40 pm by Cameron »

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1008 on: April 09, 2007, 07:03:42 pm »
.  . .looking for all the world like Jack. Son of the father. .  .  .

.  .  .
Bobby looked down trying to hold back his tears. "Thanks......thanks Ennis.....I'm real glad your here now."

Ennis gives him a hearty pat on the shoulders. "Ah am too...son....  .   

Mark, it touches me whenever Ennis call Bobby "son" - they need each other so much - thanks for bringing them together.   Wonderful story. 

Morning After
.  .  .

‘Damn, aint never gonna let him make that blasted chili recipe again.’ 

ROFL!!!!  I desperately needed a laugh today, C - and you sure came through!   :laugh: :laugh:    :-* :-*  Haven't I always said I love your sense of humor?   ;)

Pulling the sweatshirt off, amid ragged breaths, he felt like he could shit bricks.

(words:  14)

:laugh:  You're an expert at these short ones, TH! 

Jack 

Hey, Jack!  Great seeing you.  I usually have a Fourth of July party and I was thinking about stealing your idea of a chili cook-off - but maybe I should issue some warnings beforehand!   ;D

(.  .  . but it's almost done...)
.  .  .
 “I also had to meet you, I had meet the person who could inspire so much love.”   

Marl, that is such a lovely line - and so true.  I don't think Ennis ever thought of himself in this way and it's nice to hear it said.  Ending soon?  Oh, well - all good things must come to an end.

Thanks Drabblers,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline haunted_by_bbm

« Reply #1009 on: April 09, 2007, 07:16:25 pm »
Marie,

I need to go on record with everyone else and say that you are absolutely amazing.  :)   

I look forward to your comments on every drabble,
as much as I enjoy the drabbles themselves.   
You are such a lovely lady.    :-*

Love ya, sweetie.     :-* :-* :-*

C*