Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1199359 times)

Offline haunted_by_bbm

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "didn't know we was gonna get into this again..."
    • Panels of the Dream: Brokeback Mountain Stories
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1220 on: May 05, 2007, 07:35:01 pm »
Mustache

Thursday, May 16, 1968
2:13 P.M. / Pine Creek 

“Wonder what this would feel like if you had a mustache…” Jack mused playfully, closing one eye as he continued to smile down on Ennis, trying to visualize some future facial hair on the man.   

“Shoot, aint it bad enough we already got two day stubble?”  Ennis frowned, starting to add to his comment, but then just opting for frowning deeper instead.  “Wouldn’t like it none.  Don’t plan on growin’ one.” Ennis raised a challenging brow.  “Don’t want you growin’ one neither.”

“Really?”  Jack chuckled.  “Whut?  You sayin’ you wouldn’t kiss me no more if I showed up here one time and done growed a mustache?”   

“Didn’t say that.”  Ennis’ frown was damn near threatening to break his face. 

Jack laughed at the sight of it, raising his left hand to join his right, using both hands now to tenderly caress Ennis’ scowl. 

“What if I really wanted to grow one, just to see if I liked it…who knows, you might like it too.”  Jack winked, leaning down, rubbing his stubbled right cheek against his buddy’s counterpart.  “Might tickle or somethin’?”   

“hhhmmm,”  Ennis wasn’t convinced. “Don’t like being tickled.”   

“Not sayin’ I’m gonna grow one anytime soon,” Jack laughed, thoroughly amused at Ennis’ disgruntled expression over the thought of so much additional facial hair.  “Just maybe…you know…someday…” Jack kissed Ennis’ forehead, easing away the worried frown line with his caressing lips.

“hhhmmm,” Ennis closed his eyes, trying to imagine how Jack’s lips might feel doing what they were doing with a fur-ball attached to them.  “Maybe…but don’t think so.”  Ennis sighed, giving up for the moment on trying to produce a satisfactory visual of Jack with no upper lip to speak of.

Ennis enjoyed those lips just too damn much to try to imagine them any other way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

300 Words 
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 07:48:08 pm by haunted_by_bbm »
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1221 on: May 05, 2007, 08:10:17 pm »
Mustache

Thursday, May 16, 1968
2:13 P.M. / Pine Creek 

.  .  .
“What if I really wanted to grow one, just to see if I liked it…who knows, you might like it too.”  Jack winked, leaning down, rubbing his stubbled right cheek against his buddy’s counterpart.  “Might tickle or somethin’?”   

“hhhmmm,”  Ennis wasn’t convinced. “Don’t like being tickled.”   
 .  .  .

What a nice surprise, Cristine - I'm happy to see you!  :)  I love this - so fresh and sweet and sexy and funny all at once - par for the course for you, you clever thing! As far as I'm concerned, not even the mustache ruined those lips!   ;) 

Hope you're doing well,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline haunted_by_bbm

« Reply #1222 on: May 05, 2007, 08:28:37 pm »
What a nice surprise, Cristine - I'm happy to see you!  :)  I love this - so fresh and sweet and sexy and funny all at once - par for the course for you, you clever thing! As far as I'm concerned, not even the mustache ruined those lips!   ;) 

Hope you're doing well,
Marie

Hi Marie!   
It's always so nice to see you.   
Thank you so much for always being such a sweetie.   :-*

(And I definitely agree about those beautiful lips of his.)    ;)

Cristine   
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #1223 on: May 06, 2007, 05:43:30 am »
Mustache

Ennis’ frown was damn near threatening to break his face. 

He, he. Love the phrasing.

... easing away the worried frown line with his caressing lips.

Sweet.

I enjoyed your drabble very much, thanks for sharing. The prompt 'ticklish' made me think of the mustache, too  :).

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1224 on: May 06, 2007, 07:40:43 am »
Hi folks,

Try these...

• wilderness
  • children
  • honesty

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #1225 on: May 06, 2007, 11:56:18 am »
July 1978

Aroma of brewing coffee, frying pan sizzling with fried potatoes and sausage, eggs aside for their turn in the pan as the sun rises over the ridge painted the peaks in morning colors. Bobby, his hair reaching for the sky in all directions, still in his bag begins to stir.

"Mornin' son...."  Bobby lifts his head looking at Ennis.

"Grrrr.....mmmm........rrrrr." Bobby slowly stretches.

"Yer dad...he give me that same look...early in the mornin' .....sometimes...didn't  always light up easy at the crack o' dawn....Ya hungry?"

"Rrrr.........mmmmm....." Bobby stretched. "What's that in the pan?"

"Spuds n' sausage....real breakfast...."

"Coffee ready?...rrrrr.....How comes the potatoes er red....?"

"Got a touch of chili powder in 'em...ad some flavor.....don't worry none, it not hot....sure ya wanna be drinkin' so much coffee...might stunt yer growth."

"Rrrr...don't think so....I'm two inches taller than Pop."

"We'll....all right then."

"Mmmmm.......rrrrr" Bobby eases himself to sit up, looks around, trees surrounding them, lush green green everywhere, chirping of birds in the trees. Sure is somethin' up here...you 'n Pop...whole summer...had this place ta yerselves...."

Ennis looks quitely down at the frying pan.

"You camped here the rest of the summer? ....sleep out here under the stars?"

Ennis slowly looks up. "See, one of us had the sleep up were the sheep wuz grazin'....lest ways were s'pose to....so after supper 'n sittin by the fire.,...Ah'd head on up ta the sheep....come back first light.....but sometimes.....sometimes Ah'd jus stay down here with yer daddy." Ennis looks down at the pan focusing on turning the potatoes. After a moment he looks up. "'N sometimes...after yer daddy wuz done with chores at camp....he'd hitch up the mules rid on up ta the sheep....'n and we's ride back ta supper together."

"Sure musta been nice ...up here everyday just ta yerselves.....no one ever come around?...."

"Just the feller from Agguires One of us would meet at the bridge once ah week like Ah said....'n Agguire once came one time ta tell yer daddy your uncle wuz sick...but mostly......just me 'n 'm up here" Ennis stirs the potatoes then turns the sausage grabs a plate. "Son yer foods ready....here get it while it's hot...eggs be ready in a minute..."

« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 02:03:21 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline haunted_by_bbm

« Reply #1226 on: May 06, 2007, 03:16:23 pm »
He, he. Love the phrasing.

Sweet.

I enjoyed your drabble very much, thanks for sharing. The prompt 'ticklish' made me think of the mustache, too  :).

Glad you liked it, sweetie.    :-*
C*

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1227 on: May 06, 2007, 10:59:05 pm »
(I know, its been a while, well here is one, but been there before.)

The Wilderness

(July 1980)
Cassie woke up, sweating and shaking.  She was out all alone in the wilderness.  It was cold and she was all alone and she didn’t know what to do.  There were huge trees all around and with the sun going down, they left frightening shadows that were coming after her.  She was running to try to get away from the trees.

Cassie sat up on the bed.  She was shaking and breathing really hard.  She looked over at Ennis, he was sleeping, with a peaceful look on his face.  She stared at him.  He never had that look when he was awake.  He stirred.  Cassie tried to stop shaking.

“What time is it?” Ennis asked.

“I don’t know.” Cassie answered, still shaking.

Ennis turned around and went right back to sleep.  Cassie sat there, breathing hard, trying to calm down, trying to forget about the dream.  She stared at him.  Two years to the day almost, she thought, since that night in the bar.  Yet he didn’t even ask her if she was okay. 

Cassie finally stopped shaking and lay back down.  She faced the wall.  She saw her momma that afternoon.  They sat at the kitchen table.  Cassie didn’t answer her when she asked “How long are ya gonna stay with him?  Isn’t it about time that you got married, and had some children?  Your not getting any younger, you know?  Aren’t you just wasting your time being with him?”

Cassie lay there.  She didn’t answer her momma in the afternoon.  She left right after that.  She used to like honesty from her momma.  Not anymore.  She turned around and looked at Ennis, who had fallen right back asleep.  He had that happy, peaceful look on his face again.  He looked like he was having real nice dreams.  He never had that look when he was awake with her.

Cassie tried to fall asleep again, but she kept seeing the shadows and the trees.

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1228 on: May 06, 2007, 11:45:58 pm »
Thanks for posting this. Really like seeing Cassie's side of the story, and Ennis through her eyes.
This rings really true - I've seen someone like this, their face only at peace when they were asleep.
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1229 on: May 06, 2007, 11:58:28 pm »
Thank you, Fern
 :)

Marl